OT: Watcha Listenin' To? - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I've got about 2,000 albums in my collection. Spin them on my Oracle Delphi MK II.

The rest of my system is Blue Circle BC2 amps, BC 3 Galatea Pre, BC 23 phono stage pre, Totem Wind speakers and a Shanling CDT-100 cd player. It sounds sah-weet!

Does the quality of the phono pre-amp make a tangible difference in your opinion? Im using an inexpensive one.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Does the quality of the phono pre-amp make a tangible difference in your opinion? Im using an inexpensive one.

For sure it does (depending on the quality of your system as well obviously). I love tube sound in my phono stage...but went SS here because I wanted all BC gear. My pre and amps are Tube/SS hybrid though.

Just be careful getting into the audiophile game...it can get addictive and expensive. :laugh:

Just remember...there's nothing wrong with what you have if you're happy with it.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
There's a guy around the corner from me building some quality tube amps from his home...Peter McAlister.

Some of the coolest tube gear I've ever seen is from Electronluv...

amps_10.jpg

Looks straight out of Frankensteins laboratory.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
My buddy's stuff wasnt that attractive hahaha. He used old Soviet tubes that were meant for air search radar that he arranged to have shipped from Germany. Apparently they're great for amps.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
There's a guy around the corner from me building some quality tube amps from his home...Peter McAlister.

Some of the coolest tube gear I've ever seen is from Electronluv...

amps_10.jpg

Looks straight out of Frankensteins laboratory.

I've wanted to do something like that for a while, but I have little to no electrical skills

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
My buddy's stuff wasnt that attractive hahaha. He used old Soviet tubes that were meant for air search radar that he arranged to have shipped from Germany. Apparently they're great for amps.

There can be a lot of value in some NOS (new old stock) vaccuum tubes. I got rid of a great sounding Audio Research amp cause it was starting to cost way too much to re-tube the thing.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
My buddy has put me onto Deerhoof... not sure how I haven't heard about them, well maybe b/c they don't really 'fit' into a category...

Any opinions on them?

Some songs are musically great others are a like WTF... the vocals are a little grating... maybe I'm not giving them a full on listen....

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The new Brand New and Queens of the Stone Age albums are really good

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
My buddy has put me onto Deerhoof... not sure how I haven't heard about them, well maybe b/c they don't really 'fit' into a category...

Any opinions on them?

Some songs are musically great others are a like WTF... the vocals are a little grating... maybe I'm not giving them a full on listen....

They opened for the Chili Peppers when I saw them a couple months ago. I couldn't take more than 2 songs, the vocals were too much for me.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Do you listen to Ash Borer? Those guys and Mgla are my favs out od this genre right now.

Ah, Ash Borer. Used to be, you could search for them on Spotify and, since they didn't have any albums on there, Spotify would come back and ask "Did you mean Ass *****?"

Anyway, good band. I can't quite get into Mgla the way a lot of other people do, but Ash Borer are cool.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Do you listen to Ash Borer? Those guys and Mgla are my favs out od this genre right now.

Yeah ash borer is brilliant, though I was luke warm on the irrepassable gate.

Ustalost's the Spoor of vipers is some of the best I've heard out of the genre in years, give that a listen if you haven't already.

Very excited for the new Yellow Eyes and WITTR records as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->