OT: Visitors Guide to Texas

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
CBJ fan here, and I'll be making my first trip to Dallas this coming week. I'll be staying downtown, and am looking for a place to watch the draft on Friday. Are the Stars hosting an event, or is there a hockey bar I should look for?

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
As far as I know, the Stars aren't planning on having a draft party. Usual any event that they're hosting is announced well in advanced, so if it hasn't been yet, I doubt they'll be hosting one at all.

I don't even know where to begin to tell you where to watch the draft at a bar. There isn't a specific hockey bar in Dallas like the R Bar up in Columbus.

Sinner Devil

Jun 13, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Not sure if this right place but wanted to know if there are any roller hockey leagues or pick up leagues around DFW area ( fort worth even better)

I moved here from Delaware a couple years ago (devils fan don't hate me :) ) and would love to start playing again.

CRSeven

Ballon d'Or 2013
Jan 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Do any of you guys live near Laredo?

I have a lot of family there and was thinking about making a trip down there around Christmas.

It's about 6-7 hours away from Dallas, correct?

If I go, I'm gonna go to the game vs. St. Louis on December 21st.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
I've been there. Keep everything locked, there's a lot of theft, and don't go to Mexico.

It's a 4 hour drive from Houston, so yea, 6-7 hours sounds right.

Find the right hotel, though, and you'll be fine. The Bucks are a decent team (their past owner coached me) and the games are extremely fun with the corn and being able to get board seats for 10 bucks.

Oh, and if you have kids, Hal's is a must. Like Dave and Buster's or Jillian's, but better.

Don't know much about the restaurants, though, as I was only 13 and we ate fast food the whole time.

CRSeven

Ballon d'Or 2013
Jan 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I've been there. Keep everything locked, there's a lot of theft, and don't go to Mexico.

It's a 4 hour drive from Houston, so yea, 6-7 hours sounds right.

Find the right hotel, though, and you'll be fine. The Bucks are a decent team (their past owner coached me) and the games are extremely fun with the corn and being able to get board seats for 10 bucks.

Oh, and if you have kids, Hal's is a must. Like Dave and Buster's or Jillian's, but better.

Don't know much about the restaurants, though, as I was only 13 and we ate fast food the whole time.

Thanks for the response.

I don't know yet if I'm going to stay in a hotel or with my aunt.

She said she lives like 5 minutes from the border.

I'm Mexican, but still, I'd be pretty scared to cross the border and go that part of Mexico. :laugh: But, what makes it worse is I don't even look Mexican, I look white.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
:laugh:

Yea, that's a scary part of it. We went through a border crossing even though we never actually crossed it, that's how bad it is.

Staying with your aunt is a good idea, but if not, really look into which hotel you stay at. Read the reviews, etc.

vofty

Mar 2, 2008
TX
:laugh:

Yea, that's a scary part of it. We went through a border crossing even though we never actually crossed it, that's how bad it is.

Staying with your aunt is a good idea, but if not, really look into which hotel you stay at. Read the reviews, etc.

Same thing happened to my husband before I met him, he isn't an American citizen and ended up stuck in Mexico for about a week because of it.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
There's a W right across the street if you want convenience but it's going to cost you. There's a Hyatt also within walking distance on Harry Hines.

XtremeofParanoia

May 5, 2010
MA
Hey guys, I was tearing my hair out trying to find a visitor's guide on your forum and sure enough, here it is right under my nose in the stickies.

My friends and I are planning a trip to Dallas for the New Years weekend and we're trying to hammer out the lodging logistics. I've checked out some of the travel websites and found some decent deals, but I figured I'd try and get a pulse from the local populace. Basically, we're looking for a reasonably (I say reasonably, but I have a feeling it will be a seller's market that time of year) priced hotel not too far from Fair Park. If anyone has any experience or recommendations, I'd very much appreciate any input!

Thanks again guys and gals, and cheers.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Fair Park is kind of in a weird spot. It's adjacent to downtown but in something of a sketchy area, so there really isn't much directly around it. So your options are either to stay in downtown or the West End where there are a ton of hotels and stuff to do, but which are generally more expensive, or head east on I-30 about 5-10 minutes where you get to a clump of 3 or 4 cheap type of hotels (Holiday Inn, Super 8, La Quinta etc.).

minitrucker83

Apr 2, 2012
Any help for a Wings fan that lives in STL?:laugh: I wish I would have looked for this sticky earlier. Ive been in Ft worth since Tuesday and have a couple days left and need a suggestion or two. I brought my inline skates to check out the trail system and get some exercise, walking sucks. Is there a preferred section of the trails that might be more suitable for inline skates? As far as steak houses should I just walk into the stockyards and just pick my poison?

aisforaaron83

May 24, 2008
Any help for a Wings fan that lives in STL?:laugh: I wish I would have looked for this sticky earlier. Ive been in Ft worth since Tuesday and have a couple days left and need a suggestion or two. I brought my inline skates to check out the trail system and get some exercise, walking sucks. Is there a preferred section of the trails that might be more suitable for inline skates? As far as steak houses should I just walk into the stockyards and just pick my poison?

lonesome dove - steak house

Last edited:

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
The area to the south of I-30 as you get closer to downtown can be a little rough.

SkepticalDougO

Jul 8, 2010
Louisiana
Thinking about making a trip there this weekend to catch the Stars - Blues game on Saturday, rooms at the Hyatt aren't too bad, and walking distance. As far as tickets go, how hard is it to come by a pair of tickets on the glass? (We've never been to an NHL game before, and sitting on the ice just once is a bucket list thing). Assuming I can't get a pair of those, any advice on what sections to avoid / sit in- I typically like sitting between the blue lines 20-30 rows up at minor league games. Any good breakfast spots around there to hit up before getting on the road Sunday to head out?

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
As far as tickets go, how hard is it to come by a pair of tickets on the glass? (We've never been to an NHL game before, and sitting on the ice just once is a bucket list thing). Assuming I can't get a pair of those, any advice on what sections to avoid / sit in- I typically like sitting between the blue lines 20-30 rows up at minor league games.

I've looked for two years for tickets on the glass and haven't been able to find them. Have been able to find some that are 2nd row though.

There really isn't a bad seat at all in the AAC, imo. When I didn't have season tickets, I tried to avoid 324-329 just because it's way steep and feels like you're going to fall over when you stand up to me. Besides that though, AAC is top notch seating wise.

SkepticalDougO

Jul 8, 2010
Louisiana
I've looked for two years for tickets on the glass and haven't been able to find them. Have been able to find some that are 2nd row though.

There really isn't a bad seat at all in the AAC, imo. When I didn't have season tickets, I tried to avoid 324-329 just because it's way steep and feels like you're going to fall over when you stand up to me. Besides that though, AAC is top notch seating wise.

Thanks for the info, I'm assuming Row A is glass, Row B is 2nd row?

Also, I'd assume behind the penalty box & player benches the first row would be row C? Stub hub has some there, not sure I'd like to sit behind the players bench, but it might be easier to sell my wife on the trip if she could sit that close to the players / action.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Thinking about making a trip there this weekend to catch the Stars - Blues game on Saturday, rooms at the Hyatt aren't too bad, and walking distance. As far as tickets go, how hard is it to come by a pair of tickets on the glass? (We've never been to an NHL game before, and sitting on the ice just once is a bucket list thing). Assuming I can't get a pair of those, any advice on what sections to avoid / sit in- I typically like sitting between the blue lines 20-30 rows up at minor league games. Any good breakfast spots around there to hit up before getting on the road Sunday to head out?
You could try Bread Winners. It's not that close to the Hyatt so you'd need your car, but you just get on Harry Hines toward downtown, bear left onto Moody which becomes Pearl, then take McKinney through Uptown until you get to Hall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad