OT: Visitors Guide to Texas

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
You should definitely be able to buy tickets in January for a March game. In all honesty you could probably do the student rush deal. However, I would cover my bases and check online a day or two before the game (or the morning of) and see what kind of deals you find.

You had asked about cheap hotel rooms, etc. That type of thing is much more in flux. I would probably use a third party booking service (kayak, hotline, etc.) to see about finding a room downtown. It really depends on what you're looking for. Like any decent sized city there are a number of unique restaurants in Dallas and finding a room within walking distance (or near a DART station) would make getting around town and enjoying the city more efficient than driving.

Thanks for the tips. I think we are actually going to drive through the night from Anaheim to Dallas Thursday into Friday to cut out cost. How early is the ideal time for the student rush tickets? If they have them for every game we'll just get there at the right time and we shouldn't have an issue. We might even sleep in shifts a little bit while waiting in line :laugh:.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Thanks for the tips. I think we are actually going to drive through the night from Anaheim to Dallas Thursday into Friday to cut out cost. How early is the ideal time for the student rush tickets? If they have them for every game we'll just get there at the right time and we shouldn't have an issue. We might even sleep in shifts a little bit while waiting in line :laugh:.

I'm not sure what time you can/should actually get in line before the game but as far as I know they don't open sales for the student rush until an hour before game time. I'm sure there would be a line forming before that though. Also, I don't think it has been explicitly stated but each person buying tickets at the student rate must have their own student I.D.

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
That is one ambitious drive.

:laugh:

Well, we are driving From California, PA to St. Louis for a game, and then driving through the night to Flagstaff, Arizona (so basically, PA to AZ with a few hours in St. Louis). Anaheim to Dallas will be our 2nd all night drive. 3 of the 4 of us will be able to drive so we'll do some rotations and hopefully be able to pull it off

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
roller hockey in dallas?

howdy,
after more than a decade in california, i'm comin' back home to texas, y'all! anyhow, i'd rather play roller than ice, and so was wonderin' if there's any recreation roller hockey available in dallas. i know there was a rink around richardson near where i grew up, but i believe that's since been defunct.

thanks.

CBJSprague24

"Scoreboard, son."
Oct 11, 2007
52mi from the Nat
Jackets fan saying hi and thinking of dropping by when I'm in town in October at the same time our two teams happen to meet. What might the ticket situation look like for an early season Saturday night game between the Jackets and Stars? I'm guessing the CBJ aren't much of a draw, but does anybody think I'll have trouble getting a ticket for that game and, if so, how far in advance I should do it?

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
CBJ - You'll be fine.

NYR - that drive ain't really doable in a single night. It's 1,400 miles from Anaheim to Dallas. Averaging 75 miles per hour, that's 19 hours of drive time. Once you get to El Paso, you still have 650 miles to go. States in our part of the world are massive creatures.

CBJSprague24

"Scoreboard, son."
Oct 11, 2007
52mi from the Nat
What are some seat recommendations you guys can have for a first-time visitor? I'm looking to pay less than $50 and would prefer to be in what would be the CBJ shoot twice end.

It looks like I can have my choice of the upper bowl for that price range...are there any sections to avoid that have obstructed views or anything like that?

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
I don't believe there are any obstructed views at the AAC unless you're talking about like... the glass and railings that keep people from falling over the edge - those are always a little more impactful in the first rows of sections.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
After 8 years of watching mainly on the internet, i will be in Dallas on October 15th and will finally get to see my beloved Dallas stars in person.

Have seats for the Columbus game (3rd row, just to the left of the stars bench)

Absolutely hypo with excitment!!!

I will look at all links about things to do in Dallas. We are there for 3 nights (majority of 4 days) we intend to go to 6 flags, the state fair and maybe the zoo and a horse ranch.

Any tips on great restaurants and places to eat and have a few beers would be great.

Cant wait:yo:

ReverendAlBundy

Loungetown mortician
Feb 25, 2010
Fort Worth
Don't stay in just Dallas the whole time. And if you like hitting the town, dedicate a night to go to fort worth, downtown ftw is waaayy better for barhopping than dallas

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Don't stay in just Dallas the whole time. And if you like hitting the town, dedicate a night to go to fort worth, downtown ftw is waaayy better for barhopping than dallas

West 7th woooooooooooooo **** yeeeeeeeeeah! There's even an In-n-Out now! That taco truck over by Seventh Haven is pretty good...

Barhopping in Ft. Worth is way CHEAPER than barhopping in Dallas, I'm sure.

Also I will be at the game on the 15th.

Last edited:

Paisano*

Coming down for the Jackets game on Sat. getting in early so I thought I'd check out the Cowboys stadium tour, looks pretty impressive. Im alone and need one ticket, figured I'd hit a scalper outside the arena, are there many of them out there? We have quite a few here and since most of the time we suck, including so far this year, the tix go pretty cheap. How is it there?

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
Cowboys Stadium and AA Center Questions

Coming to Dallas this week, two questions:

1) Cowboy Stadium - I am renting a car but want to drink at the game and leave the car at the hotel. How much do you think it would cost to cab it in from downtown Dallas? Any other public transportation options? All I can see online is a shuttle from Fort Worth bus terminal but getting there might pose its own problems, or a shuttle from Humperdinks but it looks like it has to be from their Arlington location which again poses its own problems and makes a cab seem the best option.

2) AA Center - I am going to see the Leafs visit the Stars the next night. I got seats about 15 rows behind the Leafs bench. On TV i notice lots of empty seats there and it seems like people move up to the front seats in the 2nd and 3rd periods, is this case? Does the security give you a hard time if you do that? It looks like everything in the lower bowl costs the same except for the first row, so i wouldnt think they'd give you a hassle if you move up, it actually makes the arena look full on TV if we move up!

Thanks. I hope you can help.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
A cab is going to be expensive. You're looking at about 100 bucks round-trip. Public transportation is basically non-existent to that part of the Metroplex. I would suggest you get to the stadium plenty early, drink, and then sober up as the game goes along.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
A cab is going to be expensive. You're looking at about 100 bucks round-trip. Public transportation is basically non-existent to that part of the Metroplex. I would suggest you get to the stadium plenty early, drink, and then sober up as the game goes along.

thanks, 100 bucks might be doable as there are 3 of us, i bet its hell finding a cab after the game though

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Hey guys, can you tell me what mall is the best near Fort Worth airport please? Thanks for any help.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Huh, I didn't know people flew in to that. Is it a chartered flight or something?

You're honestly not that close to much of anything out there that I know of. You almost might as well just go to the Southlake town square although it's going to be about a 20 minute drive. It's not a traditional indoor mall but it does have the best selection of stores.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Huh, I didn't know people flew in to that. Is it a chartered flight or something?

You're honestly not that close to much of anything out there that I know of. You almost might as well just go to the Southlake town square although it's going to be about a 20 minute drive. It's not a traditional indoor mall but it does have the best selection of stores.

Im working out of there for a few weeks, so if i wanna goto a traditional mall would grapevine be the best to goto?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
It might actually be closer to go to North East Mall. North East is a standard indoor mall. It's probably got better anchor stores than Grapevine Mills, but it's not quite as big.

Sony Eriksson*

It might actually be closer to go to North East Mall. North East is a standard indoor mall. It's probably got better anchor stores than Grapevine Mills, but it's not quite as big.

North Park off Park and the Tollway is a cool mall. It as a little higher end stores but its not to bad. Stonebriar in Frisco IMO is the best mall in the Metroplex, its a huge place and has ALOT of the stores the other malls have combined. Grapevine mills based off of distance to him may be the easiest to maneuver. Its an outlet-ish mall so the pricing is not as bad as the "traditional" malls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad