OT: Visitors Guide to Texas

Frank Garrett

Duncan
Oct 3, 2011
Duncan Construction
I'm going to a couple of games, maybe by myself, depending on what the people in my training course are like. Where should I park it going to American Airlines Center, or should I try to avoid that and just take a cab? My hotel is only 2.2 miles away.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Frank, park on Houston, 3-4 blocks south of the arena for less than $5. Get there early and walk the extra block south on Houston and check out the Kennedy 6th Floor Museum (it's in the building where Oswald fired the fateful shots).

A few words on dinner ... food at the arena isn't bad (I like the barbecue sandwiches) but it's obviously a little expensive. There aren't any really good food spots right downtown but Neo Pizza on Market street is OK for pizzas and calzones and sandwiches. If you want to drive a bit, Chip's (on the tollway) or Twisted Root (near I-75 and the university) ... have very good hamburgers. Both Chips and TW are in "nice" parts of town but the best burger in Dallas is at Wingfields (South Beckley) in South Dallas.

AirShark

Oct 27, 2011
Travelling to Dallas for Sharks/Stars 4/3

My Cousin and I try and fly to one or two teams venues a season to watch our Sharks play. The goal eventually being that we see our team play in all of the NHL venues before we die. :)

This year we went to Winnipeg in January, but a business trip in a few weeks gives us the opportunity to mark Dallas off of our hockey bucket list on 4/3.

I there anything we should check out while we're there? I'll have one evening and a few spare hours from 4/2 - 4/5 while I'm there.

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks!

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
What types of things do you guys like to do? Dallas is a metro area of almost 7 million people, so there's plenty of things out there to waste your time on.

Also, where are you staying in town, will you be renting a car and how long are you willing to drive to get to stuff?

AirShark

Oct 27, 2011
What types of things do you guys like to do? Dallas is a metro area of almost 7 million people, so there's plenty of things out there to waste your time on.

Also, where are you staying in town, will you be renting a car and how long are you willing to drive to get to stuff?

So, usually we make it into a few day road trip and see some sights along with hockey. This trip is a little different because I'm squeezing it in during some training that I'm being sent to TX for at work.

We're staying up in Frisco, TX.

Flying in on 4/2 with my Cousin, we'll have the whole afternoon and night.
4/3 5:00PM on will be free (Game Day)
4/4 Cousin flies home to CA, I stay in TX until 4/5 (Class 9-5PM)

I'll have a rental car as long as he's here. After that I'm work carpooling with a few other guys.

Since we're kind of short on time this trip, I guess I would just ask what one or two things does someone need to see/eat on a quick trip to TX?

We don't mind driving some distance to get to a place that's worth it, last year we flew into Calgary, drove straight up to Edmonton (3 hours), saw the game, drove back down to Calgary and saw the game there the next night. Driving is no big deal.

I like to have a few beers, my cousin likes to check out the touristy sights.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
When I think Dallas I think Tex-Mex. There are some good steak places that other people would be happy to recommend I'm sure, but I would recommend Torchy's Tacos. It's not your typical enchilada and beans joint but more of a fresh take on tacos. They're not all super spicy like the name implies but you can get a pretty good spicy food fix there if that's your thing (it's why I went).

Bennrocks

Mar 19, 2011
When I think Dallas I think Tex-Mex. There are some good steak places that other people would be happy to recommend I'm sure, but I would recommend Torchy's Tacos. It's not your typical enchilada and beans joint but more of a fresh take on tacos. They're not all super spicy like the name implies but you can get a pretty good spicy food fix there if that's your thing (it's why I went).

Is the torchy's in dallas as good as the one in austin? i haven't been to the one here yet... the torchy's i went to in austin were hands down the best tacos i have ever had

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Is the torchy's in dallas as good as the one in austin? i haven't been to the one here yet... the torchy's i went to in austin were hands down the best tacos i have ever had

I honestly can't say. I mean, I would assume so or the company wouldn't put their name on it because it's not like people in Austin never get up Dallas way and vice versa. The truth would get out. I will say this about my experience. I fasted before I went because I wanted to eat the hell out of some tacos. I ordered three and they were all of the bigger variety and I went back and ordered a fourth and fifth. Yeah, I was super hungry but that wasn't the only thing that got me to go back and shell out more cash. The green chile was great, as was The Democrat, but my favorite was the Brush Fire.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Is torchys worth the drive from fort worth? Looking at the menu it's like fuzzys on steroids.

I guess that depends on the person. I consider myself a minor foodie so I would. And yes, you pretty aptly described it. You can't get the flavor combinations at Fuzzy's that you can at Torchy's. I'm a big fan of Fuzzy's btw. Best burrito I've ever had is every one I've ever had from there...that slow cooked pork :cry: ...I want one!

ReverendAlBundy

Loungetown mortician
Feb 25, 2010
Fort Worth
I guess that depends on the person. I consider myself a minor foodie so I would. And yes, you pretty aptly described it. You can't get the flavor combinations at Fuzzy's that you can at Torchy's. I'm a big fan of Fuzzy's btw. Best burrito I've ever had is every one I've ever had from there...that slow cooked pork :cry: ...I want one!
It sounds like fuzzys/torchys is a taco version of chipotle/freebirds.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
It sounds like fuzzys/torchys is a taco version of chipotle/freebirds.

I've been to freebirds once. Not a fan. Chipotle is great at what they do. I love that place. Torchy's and Fuzzy's are both a level of sophistication above Chipotle IMO, Torchy's moreso than Fuzzy's. I would eat a Fuzzy's burrito over Chipotle without question. But you know, personal tastes and all that; Chipotle isn't spicy enough to me.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I've been to freebirds once. Not a fan. Chipotle is great at what they do. I love that place. Torchy's and Fuzzy's are both a level of sophistication above Chipotle IMO, Torchy's moreso than Fuzzy's. I would eat a Fuzzy's burrito over Chipotle without question. But you know, personal tastes and all that; Chipotle isn't spicy enough to me.

Strange, you're the first person I've ever heard say they prefer Chipotle over Freebirds. Personally, I find Chipotle's burritos are far too bland for my liking so much so that I only ever ate there 3 times the entire time I lived in Dallas. I moved to Austin and had a Freebirds nearby and I've eaten there probably a dozen times in the past year.

I've gotta get over to Torchy's, but I'm always completely across town when the mood strikes.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
I like Freebirds. The atmosphere is a little out of my style, but they've got good food.

Don't think they have Torchy's and Fuzzy's in Houston, or at least I've never been there.

Are there any Mission Burritos up there? They've got some really good burritos (HUGE too, and you can't get it smaller), it's pretty cheap for as much food as you get, but its pretty boring in there.

ReverendAlBundy

Loungetown mortician
Feb 25, 2010
Fort Worth
Strange, you're the first person I've ever heard say they prefer Chipotle over Freebirds. Personally, I find Chipotle's burritos are far too bland for my liking so much so that I only ever ate there 3 times the entire time I lived in Dallas. I moved to Austin and had a Freebirds nearby and I've eaten there probably a dozen times in the past year.

I've gotta get over to Torchy's, but I'm always completely across town when the mood strikes.
I'm in his camp. To me chipotle is just better food than freebirds. People tend to get caught up and distracted with how many options you have at freebirds, but it's just not as good quality as chipotle. Oh, and on the spice front I mix in an absurd amount of all three tobascos.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

I suppose in the interest of full disclosure I should say that I usually get the tacos at Chipotle. Their burritos are too loaded with bland rice for my taste but the tacos are down to the good stuff. Freebirds seems like a Jimmy John's for burritos, attitude and all. When I go looking for good food you can check the cliché attitude at the door, I don't need it. I also like that the flavor combinations at Chipotle are straight forward. Freebirds is all about options but to be honest I would rather a place told me what they think is good rather than me doing all the leg work. I was thoroughly unimpressed by Freebirds when I went.

Frank Garrett

Duncan
Oct 3, 2011
Duncan Construction
Frank, park on Houston, 3-4 blocks south of the arena for less than $5. Get there early and walk the extra block south on Houston and check out the Kennedy 6th Floor Museum (it's in the building where Oswald fired the fateful shots).

A few words on dinner ... food at the arena isn't bad (I like the barbecue sandwiches) but it's obviously a little expensive. There aren't any really good food spots right downtown but Neo Pizza on Market street is OK for pizzas and calzones and sandwiches. If you want to drive a bit, Chip's (on the tollway) or Twisted Root (near I-75 and the university) ... have very good hamburgers. Both Chips and TW are in "nice" parts of town but the best burger in Dallas is at Wingfields (South Beckley) in South Dallas.
Thanks, ck.

I visited the 6th Floor Museum. Really enjoyed the tour. I also ended up at Twisted Root Burger. The burger was really good and I liked the atmosphere and how they have you draw a name when you order.

The AAC is a sharp looking building and the atmosphere during the Sharks and Ducks games was good. Free tacos for goals in the 3rd was great too. I just drank beer and had Pizza Patron.

The hotel shuttle driver took me to Mi Cocina's in Uptown the first night I was there. Lots of good looking college girls hanging around that area. You guys have it good there.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Hey Stars fans. A great friend of mine is moving to some area he told me was called "Addison" for a new job. We play hockey together and he's looking to join a team out there, but wants suggestions on places to play. Told him I could reach out on the message board and people would be willing to help. You guys mind giving suggestions.

If there is a better place for this, please let me know.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Addison is pretty close to the Farmers Branch StarCenter. The team's Frisco HQ (where they practice) is right up the tollway a little ways as another option. I can't speak to the leagues/teams there.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Hey Stars fans. A great friend of mine is moving to some area he told me was called "Addison" for a new job. We play hockey together and he's looking to join a team out there, but wants suggestions on places to play. Told him I could reach out on the message board and people would be willing to help. You guys mind giving suggestions.

If there is a better place for this, please let me know.
There used to be a place called Ice-O-Plex at Midway and Beltline in Addison that had a full-sized and a small sheet of ice but I've heard they closed a couple years ago. There is also a StarsCenter in west Plano, I played high school and summer adult league hockey there when I lived in town but it doesn't matter -- you're getting basically the exact same hockey product at any Stars Center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad