Player Discussion Vincent Desharnais

Should he see the ice again in these playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 44 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 48 52.2%

• Total voters

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
He needs to be re-signed ASAP I can see a team overpaying for him in the summer give him a contract right now for 3 years @ 1.4or 1,5 million his game has taken huge steps and is becoming a rock on the backend, add a nice signing bonus in year one so he can settle down nicely in Edmonton
Yes please.... Need to see this Bromance continue

20240128_151812.jpg

theonetheonly

Nov 30, 2015
Not to worried about him leaving, don't see other teams paying him that much more then what we can afford, he seems like a loyal dude, him and Skinner grew into pro's together I don't see him throwing all that away for an additional 500k to 1 mill a year but who knows

Reactions: Oilhawks

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Not to worried about him leaving, don't see other teams paying him that much more then what we can afford, he seems like a loyal dude, him and Skinner grew into pro's together I don't see him throwing all that away for an additional 500k to 1 mill a year but who knows
You're really underrating what he's doing.

He's become the team's #5, he's huge, physical, almost never takes penalties and is an excellent PKer.

If the Oilers make a run and he's a big part, he's going to be expensive in Free Agency, they need to get him re-signed soon.

The Oilers, basically, don't give up goals when he's on the ice. He's not a world beater, but he's a hell of defenseman.

Extend him!!!
This forever.

Reactions: AM

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I have to agree with who bumped this. Extend him. He's been solid this season and is what you want from a #6, big, physical, makes the simple play. He no longer treats the puck like a grenade.

He lacked any poise with the puck on his stick last season. That change has seen him quietly become an effective 5v5 player.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
With Vinny, I’d throw out like 5 years at a million per and see what he says. Worst case, he’s a physical #7 who’s a leader off the ice.
Not sure VD would want to be a UFA at age 33.
Might as well give him a 8yr or deal x 1M

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'm fine with Desharnais at 33, I think this is a you problem.
It's possibly a you understanding problem.
Desharnais would likely want a 2-3yr deal to set himself up for a final deal that takes him to retirement. Or he would want a long term one(8yr) taking him to mid 30s

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Someone will give this guy 2-3M per, based on his penalty killing ability and huge frame. He might price himself off the team. Hopefully he gives up a bit of money and stays, but I wouldn’t blame him for cashing in.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I could be wrong but I see Desharnais as a really humble team and organization first guy who is so grateful he is playing in the NHL and the Oilers have given him that chance that he'll take a team friendly deal at this point, what ever that is, but probably for a couple years.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The answer was correct when we answered no. He has, however, been nothing short of a revelation under the current regime. Another time when impatience causes many of us to eat crow. Those big guys can be diamonds in the rough.
Desharnais was great against Vegas in the playoffs. He had several really bad games vs LA but he turned it around during that series.

But yes, Desharnais has been better this year. I'd guess that he really thrives under Knoblauch's and Coffey's defensive structure, or that he was just very ill suited to man-to-man defense

bolobow

May 3, 2006
Vinny has estimated career earnings of 513k thus far. Given his age, this might be his best and only chance at a large contract. Of all the Oilers, Vinny is the one I want the most to go get that bag and take care of himself and family. I sincerely hope fans don't begrudge him for not giving us a team friendly deal.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Not sure VD would want to be a UFA at age 33.
Might as well give him a 8yr or deal x 1M

I’d probably be fine with that too. If it’s a number that can be 100% buried, there’s basically zero downside, regardless of term.

Someone will give this guy 2-3M per, based on his penalty killing ability and huge frame. He might price himself off the team. Hopefully he gives up a bit of money and stays, but I wouldn’t blame him for cashing in.

I doubt anyone gets close to 3. 2 definitely might happen though. The thing is, he’s got what 500k in career earnings? If you had the option to guarantee 10 times or more you current total earnings, while playing with one of your closest friends (Skinner) and the two best players in the world, wouldn’t you be extremely tempted to take it? He’s got 79 career games and he’s going to be 28 this summer. 5 or 6 years at 1-1.2 could be very good for everyone

Vinny has estimated career earnings of 513k thus far. Given his age, this might be his best and only chance at a large contract. Of all the Oilers, Vinny is the one I want the most to go get that bag and take care of himself and family. I sincerely hope fans don't begrudge him for not giving us a team friendly deal.

That’s why I offer him term at a lower cap. He still gets his bag, and we keep a guy that fits like a glove

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
I'm not saying the Oilers should have kept Yamamoto, it was time to move on. But Yamamoto's personality and energy was something that from our fan perspective isn't common on the Oilers roster. Vinny definitely helps fill that void of someone that's generally positive and in a good mood. And not in the dog sitting in a burning house meme kind of way.

That combined with really finding his game at the NHL level this season, yes some still yap about his mistakes in last seasons playoffs. But as players develop they improve, not saying he will be a right shot Pronger this spring. But casting him in the same light with his play of late is a disservice.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah I don’t know if I ask this guy to take a discount. Took him a long time to get here, he deserves to get paid fairly.

I wouldn’t overpay though, but I’d give him an 3-4 year deal and hope 2mil is fair

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Maybe let’s stop falling in love with career AHL defenders.
He's not a career AHLer. He's the Once Undefeated Vincent the King Desharnais!

I'm not saying the Oilers should have kept Yamamoto, it was time to move on. But Yamamoto's personality and energy was something that from our fan perspective isn't common on the Oilers roster. Vinny definitely helps fill that void of someone that's generally positive and in a good mood. And not in the dog sitting in a burning house meme kind of way.

That combined with really finding his game at the NHL level this season, yes some still yap about his mistakes in last seasons playoffs. But as players develop they improve, not saying he will be a right shot Pronger this spring. But casting him in the same light with his play of late is a disservice.
Time to stop falling in love with undersized NHL-AHL tweeners. He's on pace for 20 points, while bringing little else to the table. Kostin not doing much better than Erne. For once the management managed tough calls right.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
He's not a career AHLer. He's the Once Undefeated Vincent the King Desharnais!

Time to stop falling in love with undersized NHL-AHL tweeners. He's on pace for 20 points, while bringing little else to the table. Kostin not doing much better than Erne. For once the management
managed tough calls right.

Did you actually read my post about it was time to move on from Yamamoto? Just like its time to move on from your hate for the player.

Last edited:

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I wouldn't count on him taking less money to stay, and that seems incredibly unfair to expect him to do that. At the same time, this team can't afford to overpay a bottom pairing defenceman. I think you choose between keeping him and Kulak.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad