Player Discussion Vincent Desharnais

Should he see the ice again in these playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 44.5%

• Total voters

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Love the guy but its not working, playoff is not about development.

One or two game watching might remind him that he not there for fancy plays

Reactions: gordonhught

TypeSly

Jan 29, 2010
Wayne Gretzky Drive
He absolutely should be taken out of the line up.He's there in the frame on almost every goal. He's totally overwhelmed and it started to show before the playoffs even started. When the intensity was ramped up at the end of the season, rather than just getting a hint of it, it really started to surface. His inconsistency was completely revealed, especially when he has possession. He treats the puck like it's plutonium and get's rid of it asap without really looking up to see what's developing up ice.

He needs constant reassurance (which Ek tries to do), but now in the playoffs, even that doesn't seem to be working.On a few of the goals, he's either the one who gave it away, or just wandering around where even forwards should be wandering. He's always chasing the play instead of meeting it. These traits aren't bubbling to the surface, they're full blown because it's getting worse by the game.

Coaches, if you're listening, take him out of the line up! It doesn't have to be permanent. Let him watch a game or two from a distance, take a deep breath and reset.It does'n't do him OR the organization any good being forced into the play, when it's clear that he's swimming in deep waters, and cannot swim.

Last edited:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
TBH, I think Desharnais scared of Penalties.

He was not bad in Games 1 & 2 vs LA, but after the 3 penalty first period in game 3 he's been absolute ass. Just waiving at guys and turning over pucks.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
While I said No. Unfortunately they don't really have much more for options to play those PK minutes and/or would be on their proper side.

Since they seem unwilling to play Broberg elevated minutes, you'd have to think they needed to find a way to get one veteran PKer for the right side as they could have demoted Broberg to do it.

They spent the 0 cap they had on an equally needed bottom 6C. If they were able to circumvent the cap they would have had plenty more options, but alas

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I dont understand why people keep saying Neimo. We aren't going to play him on the right side, that would be horrible.

Put broberg in.
Yeah the Neimo stuff isnt going to happen.
Demers is the clear cut option before Neimo.

Broberg is the easiest answer but he isnt ideal either. Experience is preferred and Ryan Murray would be a better option but he isnt available.

The bottom line...Vegas has pinpointed and has the roster to exploit the biggest weakness on this team. Something LA couldnt do.

Now its up to Woody to come up with something to counter it. I think that better puck support in the D zone would be a very good idea. I also think that VD or Broberg just need to put it off the glass if they are pressured. At least with an icing you can reset.
If its VD then he just needs to play his game. Play simple.
The reffing is more lenient now than it was in games 1 & 2 against LA.

Anyway you look at it...its not ideal.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Either run Broberg on his offhand side or keep playing Vinny. Bringing in Demers would be a disaster and someone seriously suggesting Niemo on his offhand side? Hard nope.

Vinny brings a unique presence to the roster and I think he is good enough and mobile enough to play bottom pairing minutes and PK. I’m not defending how he’s been, but I think he’s still the best option.

Reactions: AM

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
They spent the 0 cap they had on an equally needed bottom 6C. If they were able to circumvent the cap they would have had plenty more options, but alas
By demoting Broberg to the AHL (which they did for the Clear Day Roster) and leaving him there, they'd have had $863,333 cap space.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Left defense on the right side is tough. I've seen both Broberg and Kulak make mistakes over there. Nurse has issues positioning on the left, he would be a disaster on the right. They should give Demers a shot. Vinny is way too slow for this series.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
By demoting Broberg to the AHL (which they did for the Clear Day Roster) and leaving him there, they'd have had $863,333 cap space.
They should have went after a veteran RD like Schenn for the playoffs. Cap would have worked with VD getting sent down. RD was our biggest unaddressed hole at the deadline and could be what sinks the playoffs for us.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
There's nothing wrong with benching a player 43 games into his career. He's having trouble handling the speed and the pressure. He has limited his "mean" streak because he's afraid to take that consequential penalty since the LA series. Broberg was solid in a bottom pairing role in large stretches of the the season, and his quicker/headier puck movement will be more beneficial to us against the Vegas forecheck. I think it's plain what needs to happen here.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Again, drastically reduce VD mins at ES, and keep his mins on the PK as is. Slightly increase Broberg mins at ES, and then have Nurse, Ekholm, Ceci, and Bouchard take turns on the 3rd pairing right side every 3rd or 4th shift that the 3rd pairing is out there. VD goes down a lot, Broberg and the rest go up slightly. None of them are playing crazy mins right now, and can all easily absorb 2 mins more each. We are talking 2 or 3 extra shifts each throughout the game, with Broberg maybe getting 4 or 5 more. Its not a lot of extra time. This isn't rocket science, its basic bench management.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Again, drastically reduce VD mins at ES, and keep his mins on the PK as is. Slightly increase Broberg mins at ES, and then have Nurse, Ekholm, Ceci, and Bouchard take turns on the 3rd pairing right side every 3rd or 4th shift that the 3rd pairing is out there. VD goes down a lot, Broberg and the rest go up slightly. None of them are playing crazy mins right now, and can all easily absorb 2 mins more each. We are talking 2 or 3 extra shifts each throughout the game, with Broberg maybe getting 4 or 5 more. Its not a lot of extra time. This isn't rocket science, its basic bench management.
I don't even want VD on the pk anymore, tbh.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
They should have went after a veteran RD like Schenn for the playoffs. Cap would have worked with VD getting sent down. RD was our biggest unaddressed hole at the deadline and could be what sinks the playoffs for us.
At the time though it made sense to continue with the VD experiment as the results were still good, which is why I suggested Broberg demotion. But yes, demoting either of them would have created some cap space for a league min veteran or $1.5M or less with retention to get it there.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
At the time though it made sense to continue with the VD experiment as the results were still good, which is why I suggested Broberg demotion. But yes, demoting either of them would have created some cap space for a league min veteran or $1.5M or less with retention to get it there.
Playoffsviabt the time to break in rookie D. At least with a veteran 6/7 D you give the rookies some protection.

Reactions: Duke74 and bone

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Continuing to play him has literally zero benefit at this point. We've already tried the "build his confidence back up" angle and it didn't work. Literally the only reason you would play him at this point is to attempt another "don't worry about it mistakes happen! You'll be better next game!" attempt, but that is dumb because it didn't work the last time.

If Woodcroft plays him it is such a severe lack of judgment that it will probably forever cloud my view of him as a coach. This is the NHL playoffs, not Tom Thumb. There isn't time to make the one guy on the team that is burying you feel better with the consequence being we lose.

Having said all this, I think Vinny is a player and will be a good player. He's just completely shot mentally and it's time to sit him down for a few games at least before you can even think about giving him another crack.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Playoffsviabt the time to break in rookie D. At least with a veteran 6/7 D you give the rookies some protection.

100%. The rookie being broken in isn't the issue as the fact the backup option is also a rookie.

Continuing to play him has literally zero benefit at this point. We've already tried the "build his confidence back up" angle and it didn't work. Literally the only reason you would play him at this point is to attempt another "don't worry about it mistakes happen! You'll be better next game!" attempt, but that is dumb because it didn't work the last time.

If Woodcroft plays him it is such a severe lack of judgment that it will probably forever cloud my view of him as a coach. This is the NHL playoffs, not Tom Thumb. There isn't time to make the one guy on the team that is burying you feel better with the consequence being we lose.

Having said all this, I think Vinny is a player and will be a good player. He's just completely shot mentally and it's time to sit him down for a few games at least before you can even think about giving him another crack.
I'm especially worried as he's verbalized even in the media his own dissatisfaction with his play. So we know for a fact it's on his mind, and if he still hasn't shaken it off, pushing him out there for potentially more game changing mistaking isn't going to help him. Let him take a breath for a game or two minimum and maybe that settles him back down after seeing the game up top.

Reactions: Duke74 and K1984

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Was thinking the same thing. But I honestly did not expect to have VD fall off like he has since the playoffs started. Really bad time to start sucking.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
TBH, I think Desharnais scared of Penalties.

He was not bad in Games 1 & 2 vs LA, but after the 3 penalty first period in game 3 he's been absolute ass. Just waiving at guys and turning over pucks.
I think this idea is right on. He was getting away with a lot in the regular season.

I still like Desharnais but his stats are beyond alarming, and it's not just one or two games anymore

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
While I said No. Unfortunately they don't really have much more for options to play those PK minutes and/or would be on their proper side.

Since they seem unwilling to play Broberg elevated minutes, you'd have to think they needed to find a way to get one veteran PKer for the right side as they could have demoted Broberg to do it.
You play broberg on his off side. He has done that before. And cut down Brobergs miniutes to only 5 vs 5.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We havnt tied him to the stake yet?
He hasnt joined Holland just yet?
How bout Woody? After? Before?
As if we got choices..

Desharnais is what we have to live with . Shelter him as much as we can is the best we could do.
Dineen and Nemo are other D options neither of which are true options as VD replacements.

He did ok tonight...can't expect more

Reactions: AM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad