Player Discussion Vincent Desharnais

Should he see the ice again in these playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 44.5%

• Total voters

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Still had a bad puck that deflected in front of his net.
I like how Jay played him at the end trying to get his confidence back.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Yeah the Neimo stuff isnt going to happen.
Demers is the clear cut option before Neimo.

Broberg is the easiest answer but he isnt ideal either. Experience is preferred and Ryan Murray would be a better option but he isnt available.

The bottom line...Vegas has pinpointed and has the roster to exploit the biggest weakness on this team. Something LA couldnt do.

Now its up to Woody to come up with something to counter it. I think that better puck support in the D zone would be a very good idea. I also think that VD or Broberg just need to put it off the glass if they are pressured. At least with an icing you can reset.
If its VD then he just needs to play his game. Play simple.
The reffing is more lenient now than it was in games 1 & 2 against LA.

Anyway you look at it...its not ideal.
VD is not going to make or break this series. The bottom pairing d-man who plays 10-12 mins a night, never does. Just limit his exposure and do what they did today.

Reactions: AM

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
VD is not going to make or break this series. The bottom pairing d-man who plays 10-12 mins a night, never does. Just limit his exposure and do what they did today.
I don’t really agree. If they are leaking a bunch of goals due to mistakes and giveaways in their 10-12 minutes then they won’t necessarily make or break the series but they will certainly have a big effect on it.

That being said VD played good tonight. He made a really nice play with his stick preventing what was sure to be a great scoring chance. I also like him giving Stone the business.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
VD played a much simpler game tonight.
There was much better puck support in this game and it worked just fine.
Vegas has a tough team so his size and nastiness makes a difference.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Better but he still threw the puck like right in front of the net almost right to a Vegas player, not sure what in the world was going on there. He needs to calm the f*** down.

I would play Broberg more at this point, yeah he'll probably make mistakes too, but he has better puck skills and that's probably more of a need right now.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Better but he still threw the puck like right in front of the net almost right to a Vegas player, not sure what in the world was going on there. He needs to calm the f*** down.

I would play Broberg more at this point, yeah he'll probably make mistakes too, but he has better puck skills and that's probably more of a need right now.

He also used his reach and picked off a guy on basically a 2 on 1.

Rookie playing in the playoffs, let him swim. Very happy Woody has given him a leash cuz the more he learns, the better off we are. A physical 6'7 monster on a cheap contract for years to come... where do i sign?

Feb 9, 2013

Rookie playing in the playoffs, let him swim. Very happy Woody has given him a leash cuz the more he learns, the better off we are. A physical 6'7 monster on a cheap contract for years to come... where do i sign?

People seem to forget this ... he's the sort of defenseman we've needed for years. It's unfortunate the Oilers need to depend on rookies this time of the year. Personally, I am quite thrilled with his performance thus far ... all yhings considered.

Reactions: Evilsports

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I voted yes.

Reason being is it's a learning experience for him. I know he will adjust his game and learn from his mistakes. Unlike Nurse who makes 9.25m makes more glaring mistakes repeatedly and often never seems to learn. Nurse does have way more utilities that round his game but I believe Desharnais will become stronger and better from the mistakes he's made. I thought he made really sound defensive plays last night. Fans are fickle on a dime tho.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

The thing is, he isn't physical for his size. Ekholm is taking the harsh assignments away from Bouchard, but if there's anyone who VD needs to watch, it's Ekholm. The guy is impressive with the amount of force he plays with out there.

His east/west movements are lacking, which makes sense for a guy with his size, but his North/South actually isn't too bad. If he plays a straight, play the man and not the puck style of game, he'll round out a spot on any squad in the league.

A rookie, has flashes of playing a straight away defensive D-man style, so I want to see what's there too. Woody should be smarter with looking at match-ups though and not be afraid to sit a rookie to soak it in from up top every once in a while.

Want to see a lot more of him using his size in the corners and make any forecheckers hate to go into corners with him. Have yet to see it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Twice now in these playoffs, Vinny has had a rough game, and then come back the next game to be solid and play within himself again. Some tough lessons at this level that he's had to absorb.

Reactions: Oilers

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don’t really agree. If they are leaking a bunch of goals due to mistakes and giveaways in their 10-12 minutes then they won’t necessarily make or break the series but they will certainly have a big effect on it.

That being said VD played good tonight. He made a really nice play with his stick preventing what was sure to be a great scoring chance. I also like him giving Stone the business.
But he's not leaking a bunch of mistakes and giveaways. He made ONE glaring error in game one. And that was pretty much it. And last night, he played his game, which is simple and to the point. When he does that, he can finish even, and let the big boys get the pluses.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
But he's not leaking a bunch of mistakes and giveaways. He made ONE glaring error in game one. And that was pretty much it. And last night, he played his game, which is simple and to the point. When he does that, he can finish even, and let the big boys get the pluses.
This is just false.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This is just false.
Not sure what you're talking about. Has he made a perfect play every time? Of course not. Has he made incredibly smart and saavy plays that Ekholm or now Bouchard are making? Not really. But he made the one bad decision in game one, and unfortunately it resulted in a goal. I don't recall a bunch of other terrible ones that game. As well as game #2. You'll have refresh my memory.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Not sure what you're talking about. Has he made a perfect play every time? Of course not. Has he made incredibly smart and saavy plays that Ekholm or now Bouchard are making? Not really. But he made the one bad decision in game one, and unfortunately it resulted in a goal. I don't recall a bunch of other terrible ones that game. As well as game #2. You'll have refresh my memory.
Game 4 against LA ring a bell?

Edit : I don’t want to continue to dump on him. Let’s see if he has another good game tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I
Game 4 against LA ring a bell?

Edit : I don’t want to continue to dump on him. Let’s see if he has another good game tonight
Yes, I am well aware of the game 4 eight minute meltdown against the Kings. He was fine in the other 5 games. In this series he made one big mistake resulting in the goal. Other than that, he's been fine.

Last edited:

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
Throw him on a wing on the 4th line as an enforcer. That’s about all he can do. He’s a career minor leaguer and has been exposed multiple times.

Edit: he looked a lot better in the past few games. I may have jumped the gun. I’m still skeptical about an almost-30 year old career minor leaguer but he can probably be a 6-7D in the league.

Last edited:

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
He played a great game 2, and same last night. I didn't realize just how tall he is from the ESPN camera angle I can see why the opposition doesn't like playing against him. Dmen like this are worth lots of time and opportunity because they are priceless and he is basically free to the oilers.

Reactions: joestevens29

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
He played a great game 2, and same last night. I didn't realize just how tall he is from the ESPN camera angle I can see why the opposition doesn't like playing against him. Dmen like this are worth lots of time and opportunity because they are priceless and he is basically free to the oilers.

Reactions: Vagabond

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The delay of game penalty was pretty funny; the one time he's not serving it up on a platter to the other team, he's putting it into some guy's hotdog in the 30th row. But seriously, aside from that, he had a nice game: shots were 7-2 Oil with him on the ice and he was one for 1 GF, nice to see from the big man, more of this please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad