Player Discussion Vincent Desharnais

Should he see the ice again in these playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 44 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 48 52.2%

• Total voters

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Becoming steadier and steadier.

Love him now, but worried he might turn into a pumpkin at some point.
I'd give him a short-deal for $1.2.

If he wants $2 he can walk. I'd take the over on him turning back into a pumpkin on another team.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Vinny has estimated career earnings of 513k thus far. Given his age, this might be his best and only chance at a large contract. Of all the Oilers, Vinny is the one I want the most to go get that bag and take care of himself and family. I sincerely hope fans don't begrudge him for not giving us a team friendly deal.

$513K... cannot be correct. He's played 79 NHL games (at $762K per season) not to mention his time in the AHL and ECHL.

But your point stands, this is a guy who needs to set himself up... not for life, but certainly for flexibility after his playing days. I expect he's a guy that gets back into the game in some fashion. You can't be as strong as he is defensively without having some serious hockey sense.

I agree with others, give him 8 years at $1.25M, worst case you bury him in the AHL and let him player-coach the kids (with very minimal cap influence). How can a guy who's lived his journey turn down a guaranteed $10M?

EDIT: also, I disagree with "turn back into a pumpkin". Lowetide has been a big fan for years, but this is a guy who came out of college, was an outscorer in the ECHL, then a HUGE outscorer (like 67%!!) in the AHL. This huge, lumbering, sometimes awkward looking defender has done nothing but defend well at every level he's played... his long journey here had everything to do with his draft order and the general disadvantage defense-only guys are at... he needed to prove it at every level and that takes time... but it wasn't an accident or a fluke that he got here.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Becoming steadier and steadier.

Love him now, but worried he might turn into a pumpkin at some point.
I'd give him a short-deal for $1.2.

If he wants $2 he can walk. I'd take the over on him turning back into a pumpkin on another team.

Why do you need your $1.2M deal to be short term? If you know you are competing with 2-3 years x $2M you can easily beat it. Up to $1.125M can be buried in the AHL, so $75K in dead cap if things don't work out is completely negligible.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
$513K... cannot be correct. He's played 79 NHL games (at $762K per season) not to mention his time in the AHL and ECHL.

But your point stands, this is a guy who needs to set himself up... not for life, but certainly for flexibility after his playing days. I expect he's a guy that gets back into the game in some fashion. You can't be as strong as he is defensively without having some serious hockey sense.

I agree with others, give him 8 years at $1.25M, worst case you bury him in the AHL and let him player-coach the kids (with very minimal cap influence). How can a guy who's lived his journey turn down a guaranteed $10M?
There are teams that will offer him $2.5 mil per for a 3-4 year deal. UFA.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

You think that high and that long? I'd be surprised. I'm thinking the competition will be a total contract value around 5-6M over 2-3 years. He doesn't have a lot of reps yet at the NHL level.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
You think that high and that long? I'd be surprised. I'm thinking the competition will be a total contract value around 5-6M over 2-3 years. He doesn't have a lot of reps yet at the NHL level.
Who knows. I think that some team will make an offer to him that the Oilers wont' be able to match. A right handed solid PK D-man.

Leafs had their eyes on him last year. I bet that the Leafs offer him something big that the Oilers can't match.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Why do you need your $1.2M deal to be short term? If you know you are competing with 2-3 years x $2M you can easily beat it. Up to $1.125M can be buried in the AHL, so $75K in dead cap if things don't work out is completely negligible.
Then lets do that.

We can replace Vinny for under $2m.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Who knows. I think that some team will make an offer to him that the Oilers wont' be able to match. A right handed solid PK D-man.

Leafs had their eyes on him last year. I bet that the Leafs offer him something big that the Oilers can't match.

Yeah maybe... I doubt the Leafs though. They will be at $67M with 13 players signed... they need to sign 4 forwards, 4 defenders and a goalie... essentially the entire middle of their lineup.

Unless they see Desharnais as a middle pairing, it's tough to see them having $2.5M left over for a bottom pairing guy (and I mean that as charitably as possible... I'm a big fan).

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So lets offer him 1.5M x 8 years. He'll make more this way and have the security that with his low cap hit he likely won't ever get squeezed out of an NHL Job.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If we offer him a 8 year deal that can fully be buried.

Who cares.

Him taking it is a different story
I love Vinny and I want the team to re-sign him, but a strong part of me assumes he's going to want to explore Free Agency. A thing I don't know he expected to be so significant even 2 years ago.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Vinny you're getting 8M.

Over 8 years tho

Sign here, yours truly, Connor
Hell I'd give him $10M over 8 in a heartbeat. I think he's going to get more in less years on the open market.

I could, sincerely, see the Flames giving him 4 yrs and $3.5M per, or the Hawks.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I love Vinny and I want the team to re-sign him, but a strong part of me assumes he's going to want to explore Free Agency. A thing I don't know he expected to be so significant even 2 years ago.
I disagree. Unless he gets a very low offer I think he is
1. Loyal
2. Wants to win
3. Loves playing here.

If not try Kemp.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00