Confirmed with Link: Viktor Stalberg is headed to Switzerland

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Thompson over Stalberg is a mistake

Thompson has a total of 8 points in his last 80 games, which were spread out over the last two seasons because he's injury prone.
Stalberg had more goals than Thompson had points, with 11G and 16P in 75GP, and is bigger, faster, just as good defensively

Don't get how you offer Stalberg 1YR at 1.5M (reportedly), which is the same contract he got from Carolina last off-season, and offer Thompson a 2YR deal and a pay raise after his last two seasons.

Thompson is injury prone now because he suffered a Achilles tear and 2 torn labrums in separate seasons? Are Karlsson and Brassard both injury prone too because they suffered similar injuries, or is only because he suffered both after a career of otherwise normal injury history?

It really doesn't make much sense to evaluate a player based on the period you know he wasn't healthy thanks to one off injuries. It's like claiming Turris is injury prone because of the 2015-16 season and following up with stating his a 30 pts player now. If he had reoccurring issues, that's one thing, but Thompson doesn't have that.

So, Stalberg has 16 pts in 92 games when you include the playoffs, while Thompson had 8 in 47 games, virtually identical paces, except that Thompson had the disadvantage in that he missed his offseason thanks to that achiles tear he suffered in an offseason workout coming into the season cold in February. .

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's more like still have Dahlen, and 2.5 mil to invest to fill a hole in the bottom 6. Is Stalberg the guy we'd go after? I hope not, he doesn't fill the role Burrows does.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Burrows is better than Stalberg, its all good man.

Not by that much.

I'd take a 31YR old Stalberg at 1.5M on a 2YR deal over a 36YR old Burrows at 2.5M on a 2YR deal any day of the week.

Losing Dahlen just makes it that much more laughable.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Thompson is injury prone now because he suffered a Achilles tear and 2 torn labrums in separate seasons? Are Karlsson and Brassard both injury prone too because they suffered similar injuries, or is only because he suffered both after a career of otherwise normal injury history?

It really doesn't make much sense to evaluate a player based on the period you know he wasn't healthy thanks to one off injuries. It's like claiming Turris is injury prone because of the 2015-16 season and following up with stating his a 30 pts player now. If he had reoccurring issues, that's one thing, but Thompson doesn't have that.

So, Stalberg has 16 pts in 92 games when you include the playoffs, while Thompson had 8 in 47 games, virtually identical paces, except that Thompson had the disadvantage in that he missed his offseason thanks to that achiles tear he suffered in an offseason workout coming into the season cold in February. .

Getting injured and missing half the season in two consecutive years is pretty much the definition of injury prone.

Thompson has 8 points in his last 80 regular season games. Stalberg had 11 goals in his last 75 games.

Playoff production is important, but 17 games is a pretty small sample size to compare players over. That's why I used the bigger sample size of 75-80 games.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It's more like still have Dahlen, and 2.5 mil to invest to fill a hole in the bottom 6. Is Stalberg the guy we'd go after? I hope not, he doesn't fill the role Burrows does.

Boyle signed for 2.75M on a 2YR deal
Pouliot signed for 1.15M on a 1YR deal
Jokinen signed for 1.1M on a 1YR deal
Jagr is yet to be signed, probably doesn't get 2.5M or 2YRs
Other wingers still available: Vanek, Stafford, Iginla, Doan, Gionta etc...

Could have filled his spot at a cost of zero assets.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Rather have Burrows than anyone there tbh. Maybe Jagr.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Not by that much.

I'd take a 31YR old Stalberg at 1.5M on a 2YR deal over a 36YR old Burrows at 2.5M on a 2YR deal any day of the week.

Losing Dahlen just makes it that much more laughable.

I disagree but fair enough.

To me, Burrows is a guy that can play on any line and look like he belongs. Stalberg is more of typical bottom 6er imo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Getting injured and missing half the season in two consecutive years is pretty much the definition of injury prone.

Thompson has 8 points in his last 80 regular season games. Stalberg had 11 goals in his last 75 games.

Playoff production is important, but 17 games is a pretty small sample size to compare players over. That's why I used the bigger sample size of 75-80 games.

Which is why I used both. Why ignore the playoff portion of the sample, particularly when we know he came into the season cold.

I also strongly disagree with your definition of injury prone. Getting hurt twice isn't injury prone. He was unfortunate enough to get hurt badly both times and require surgery, but that's not injury prone. Having the same re-occuring injury (like Ryan's fragile freaking hands or Spezza's wonky back, ect) is injury prone. Thompson never really showed a tendency to be prone to injuries before, an offseason workout injury doesn't really change that, it could happen to anyone. The torn labrum happened at the end of the reg season, and he still manage 6 pts in 12 playoff games after sitting out the first round. He probably just aggravated something that would have healed itself had he given it more time to heal (kind of like Brassard this year, or heck, Karlsson's foot).

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I disagree but fair enough.

To me, Burrows is a guy that can play on any line and look like he belongs. Stalberg is more of typical bottom 6er imo.

'Stalberg' is Swedish for 'Condra' which is American for 'can't shoot the puck into the net'

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Was just saying please not Stalberg for that role.

Of those guys, Jagr yes, Pouliot hell no, Jokinen I think picked his destination, heck to to Iginal or Gionta, is Doan even considering another contract? Igila no thanks, Vanek might come cheap but theres a reason nobody seems to want him.

Boyle I'd be ok with, but Burrows offers more offense imo. He was in a good spot in Tbay, not sure he'll put up those numbers again. Don't see him as an upgrade myself, but I'd prefer to have him and Dahlen.

Don't get me wrong, we overpaid for Burrow by trading Dahlen, but he's a better player than people are giving him credit for because their too hung up on losing Dahlen.,

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

I'm sure everyone of those players was dying to play in Ottawa

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So what are reasonable point expectations for Burrows then?

Went from the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league to a team that scored 30 more goals than Vancouver

Scored at a 30 pts pace in Vancouver this year, 25 pts over the last two seasons combined, and a 40 pts pace in Ottawa (38 if you count playoffs combined), my guess is somewhere between those numbers.

He'll like get time with Turris or Brassard, if not then Pageau/Hoffman. He was getting 2nd unit PP time, so that might continue.

I think 30 is reasonable, maybe 35

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I'm sure everyone of those players was dying to play in Ottawa

The Senators should just relocate if players of that caliber wouldn't come to Ottawa. Seriously, this doom and gloom of players not coming here is WAAAAAAY overblown.

We're talking about guys who are not making anymore than 1.5M here - not big fish free agents.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
The Senators should just relocate if players of that caliber wouldn't come to Ottawa. Seriously, this doom and gloom of players not coming here is WAAAAAAY overblown.

We're talking about guys who are not making anymore than 1.5M here - not big fish free agents.

I'm not saying that they would never sign here, but the assumption that we could just get any of those players at the exact same contract is dumb imo

I would've liked Boyle, but if we paid our 4th line C that, OH BOY this board would be more of a doozy that it already is
For the rest of them, I can easily see why they would pick the team that they did over Ottawa. And that's assuming that management even had any interest in them

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
So what are reasonable point expectations for Burrows then?

10g 15a Minimum/Disappointing
20g 25a Max
17g 18a My prediction

He still skates really well for an older guy so I don't see that being an issue and he'll likely be on one of the PP units so I'm comfortable with those numbers.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I am not convinced that Burrows is going to provide a large contribution over the next 2 years.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm guessing 20-25 for Burrows, assuming he gets 2nd pp time.

I'm projecting him to play with Thompson/Pyatt in the 4th, though he may slide into the 3rd line spot with Pageau and Smith/Hoffman/DzingelPyatt depending what Boucher does. If so 25-30.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
In the 20's or 30's for points is probably a safe bet for any of our forwards other than Stone, Hoffman & Turris since they were the only 3 that hit 40 or more last year. We definitely have an offense by committee type forward group and it will make some guys look like they had underachieved but there's only so much to go around when you roll 4 quality lines like we will be.

Boucher seems to like spreading out his offence considering our most dangerous scorer was on the 3rd line most of the year.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
'Stalberg' is Swedish for 'Condra' which is American for 'can't shoot the puck into the net'

Can we please not do this?

No one here had so much as a single bad word to say about Stalberg when he was here. Now that he's gone, he's suddenly garbage? We all know he had a positive influence in the bottom 6, and helped this team out a lot last year.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Can we please not do this?

No one here had so much as a single bad word to say about Stalberg when he was here. Now that he's gone, he's suddenly garbage? We all know he had a positive influence in the bottom 6, and helped this team out a lot last year.

Seconded. Could we also stop with the hand wringing over his departure? I mean, the bottom 6 is improved from the start of last season and the addition of Thompson means White isn't going to be expected to jump in and play centre. We all know Boucher prefers to play four lines and wouldn't always do that last year - project his system but with four capable lines, that's an improvement, especially if that fourth line can take on some of the tougher match-ups and allow the top six to have more favourable ones themselves (and fresher legs).

Even if the bottom six looked like this:

Smith - Pageau - Burrows
Dzingel - Thompson - Pyatt

Those are two lines that will be hard to play against. Sure, the Sens would not look to that fourth line for much offends, but certainly the third line could chip in. Paul, McCormick, maybe even White all available to be called up...what's not to like?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad