Confirmed with Link: Viktor Stalberg is headed to Switzerland

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Well, that's fine. I liked his gamed and he was able to create with his speed. I'm sure if Boucher desperately wanted him, Dorion would have gotten him. So I guess we move forward with Thomson.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Dorion has publicly said they had an offer on the table for Stalberg and they were just waiting to hear back from him. His decision was expected on the weekend and given that it's Tuesday it must have been a big one for him. For his own reasons he chose Europe.

I didn't hear Dorion made him an offer, I heard Dorion say they were talking and he wanted him back, but that to me wasn't a serious offer, sounded more like a "if we can get him for cheap and short term we'll take it, but I'm not chasing after him"

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I didn't hear Dorion made him an offer, I heard Dorion say they were talking and he wanted him back, but that to me wasn't a serious offer, sounded more like a "if we can get him for cheap and short term we'll take it, but I'm not chasing after him"

That's the way it should be, though. I'd have loved Stalberg back, but only for cheap and short term. We've got a crowded bottom six as is and it doesn't make sense to block new blood from coming in just to show loyalty to a guy we acquired at the deadline.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
How could Dorion only offer 1 year? Thats abysmal. Given Stalbergs recent contracts have all been one year a cheap two year deal he would have taken.

Hes more effective than both Burrows and Dzingel, he greatly adds speed to a club that requires it since we have a slow top 6. Our best pk guy at the end and can fill in top 6 when need be.

Im stunned.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I'm surprised he wanted to leave the NHL. He's a pretty useful player, you'd think he'd get a 1 year deal somewhere?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
How could Dorion only offer 1 year? Thats abysmal. Given Stalbergs recent contracts have all been one year a cheap two year deal he would have taken.

Hes more effective than both Burrows and Dzingel, he greatly adds speed to a club that requires it since we have a slow top 6. Our best pk guy at the end and can fill in top 6 when need be.

Im stunned.

Because chucking out multi-year deals to bottom line guys isn't very smart.

Heading into 2018-19 we already have Burrows/Pyatt/Thompson/McCormick signed to 1-way deals, and then add in guys chomping at the bit like Paul and White.

There was no room for him on anything more than a 1-way deal (and he would have been redundant this year).

Not signing him makes a ton of sense. A ton.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Because chucking out multi-year deals to bottom line guys isn't very smart.

Heading into 2018-19 we already have Burrows/Pyatt/Thompson/McCormick signed to 1-way deals, and then add in guys chomping at the bit like Paul and White.

There was no room for him on anything more than a 1-way deal (and he would have been redundant this year).

Not signing him makes a ton of sense. A ton.

Internal competition is good Boucher has said so many times, and if Paul and White cant beat out a couple bottom 6 guys then they arent ready and should be in AHL plain and simple.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Internal competition is good Boucher has said so many times, and if Paul and White cant beat out a couple bottom 6 guys then they arent ready and should be in AHL plain and simple.

Internal competition is good, but so is not wasting budget dollars on spare forwards that might end up sitting anyway. The reality of this team is that we need to balance internal competition with internal costs.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Internal competition is good, but so is not wasting budget dollars on spare forwards that might end up sitting anyway. The reality of this team is that we need to balance internal competition with internal costs.

Comes down to spending money on bottom 6 forwards and nobody at all. No chance were we going to spend on top 6 guys.

Lets not kid ourselves

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

After Thompson .. writing was on the wall ... They may very well have brought him back on a cheap 1 year contract but that would make 13 forwards on one ways. Dzingel and or Pyatt would be the guys competing for that bottom 6 wing spot with Stalberg.

With 12 forwards signed ... White and Paul would be injury fill ins anyway unless they knocked someones socks off which I do not expect.

Either way... I'd have been ok with a 1 year deal but there are pluses and minuses to it.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Of all the bottom 6 forwards to spend on, we let the most effective one go. Typical Sens management.

Instead of handing out 2 year contracts for Burrows, Pyatt and Thompson, maybe it shouldd have been Stalberg getting those 2 years? But what do I know, I never had a franchise go to 1 Stanley Cup finals in its 25 year existence.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Of all the bottom 6 forwards to spend on, we let the most effective one go. Typical Sens management.

Instead of handing out 2 year contracts for Burrows, Pyatt and Thompson, maybe it shouldd have been Stalberg getting those 2 years? But what do I know, I never had a franchise go to 1 Stanley Cup finals in its 25 year existence.

It seems that Stalberg wanted to go overseas. He could have gotten that deal, probably more somewhere in the NHL.

But then you just want to take shots at Sens management any chance you get, so congrats I suppose. You stuck it to em good. So savage.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Columbus, Atlanta (Winnipeg), Winnipeg (Phoenix), and Minnesota have yet to appear while we are currently tied Florida, Nashville, San Jose, and Washington. Colorado, Anaheim, Tampa Bay, and Carolina all have 2 appearances. Given our 25 year history, 1 cup finals appearance actually isn't bad at all.

Last edited:

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013

This.

Dissapointed with him leaving. Stalberg was very useful imo. Didn't look out of place when he got some shifts on the PP either.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I can live with this. He's nice to have but we can move on. A quick check of his stats and I was surprised to see that he's never been able to provide any offence whatsoever in the playoffs, 2 goals in 60 games. We have plenty of good and arguably better options in our bottom 6 between Burrows, Pyatt, Smith, Pageau, Thompson & Dzingel.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON

Seems like you are really taking this Stalberg news hard...

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Switzerland is not a bad place to play hockey

You get to sleep in your own bed every night and play hockey in a very good league.

NLA is one of the best league in europe right now!!!

He made the right decision

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Well that was predictable. I was saying he will not be back for a while now. Just didn't make sense, especially after the Thompson deal.

He was ok during the time here. Helped us last year. I was never sold on him defensively, and he seemed to get crunched a lot even though he's a good skater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad