Confirmed with Link: Viktor Stalberg is headed to Switzerland

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
We've spent enough already on our bottom 6. If we are able to improve our main areas of weakness (PP, top 4 D, etc.) with whatever money we have left over, then I don't mind letting him walk away (and maybe we couldn't have kept him regardless).

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Well that was predictable. I was saying he will not be back for a while now. Just didn't make sense, especially after the Thompson deal.

He was ok during the time here. Helped us last year. I was never sold on him defensively, and he seemed to get crunched a lot even though he's a good skater.

He was as solid as they come defensively. What did you expect?

Anyway, it's not a huge loss, but I was hoping we'd keep him around. The real holes in the lineup are in the top-6 F and top-4 D anyway.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Thompson over Stalberg is a mistake

Thompson has a total of 8 points in his last 80 games, which were spread out over the last two seasons because he's injury prone.
Stalberg had more goals than Thompson had points, with 11G and 16P in 75GP, and is bigger, faster, just as good defensively

Don't get how you offer Stalberg 1YR at 1.5M (reportedly), which is the same contract he got from Carolina last off-season, and offer Thompson a 2YR deal and a pay raise after his last two seasons.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We've spent enough already on our bottom 6. If we are able to improve our main areas of weakness (PP, top 4 D, etc.) with whatever money we have left over, then I don't mind letting him walk away (and maybe we couldn't have kept him regardless).

Interesting that no other team in the NHL was interested in Stalberg, not that great a loss then & easily replaceable.

Anyway, it's not a huge loss, but I was hoping we'd keep him around. The real holes in the lineup are in the top-6 F and top-4 D anyway.

Without Methot you could argue there is a small hole in the top 4 D but IMO it can easily be filled with the amount of LD prospects this team has in stock. Exactly who would you move out from the top 6 F group, if this is the expected top 6? Good luck.

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Brassard - Ryan

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Thompson over Stalberg is a mistake

Thompson has a total of 8 points in his last 80 games, which were spread out over the last two seasons because he's injury prone.
Stalberg had more goals than he had points in 2016/17, with 11G and 16P in 75GP, and is bigger, faster, just as good defensively

Don't get how you offer Stalberg 1YR at 1.5M (reportedly), which is the same contract he got from Carolina last off-season, and offer Thompson a 2YR deal and a pay raise after his last two seasons.

4th line Center need vs. 13th/14th forward

Not that I agree with the Thompson signing, but it had nothing to do with Stalberg

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Not that I agree with the Thompson signing, but it had nothing to do with Stalberg

I think Paul is more than ready to be the team's 4th line center. I think he could thrive in that role. Probably better than Thompson right now.

6'4, 230lbs
Good speed
Big shot
Good defensively
Beast along the boards

Both his NHL stints he's looked like a good bottom 6 forward. I don't expect that to change with another off-season of hard work.

I'm probably much higher on him then most around here though.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think Paul is more than ready to be the team's 4th line center. I think he could thrive in that role. Probably better than Thompson right now.

6'4, 230lbs
Good speed
Big shot
Good defensively
Beast along the boards

Both his NHL stints he's looked like a good bottom 6 forward. I don't expect that to change with another off-season of hard work.

Sure, if we are arguing Paul vs. Thompson, I said the same. But neither guy has an impact on Stalberg.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

6'4, 230lbs
Good speed
Big shot
Good defensively
Beast along the boards

I completely agree but IMO this is a coach's choice & it was GB who wanted Thompson over Paul & White.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

6'4, 230lbs
Good speed
Big shot
Good defensively
Beast along the boards

You're definitely higher on him right now than management seems to be after last year. I thought he looked good in his stint here but its essentially a guarantee there will be injuries so he will get his shot at some point, maybe even to start the year if he performs well in training camp and White doesnt.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Not having a big enough role could have been part of why he didnt want to stay either. Its looking like he was destined for the 4th line for sure and some poor play may have even landed him in the press box.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Interesting that no other team in the NHL was interested in Stalberg, not that great a loss then & easily replaceable.

Without Methot you could argue there is a small hole in the top 4 D but IMO it can easily be filled with the amount of LD prospects this team has in stock. Exactly who would you move out from the top 6 F group, if this is the expected top 6? Good luck.

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Brassard - Ryan

Top 4 D won't "easily" be filled by the kids. It'll be a struggle. Methot was a rock back there. He almost never made a mistake. You think the likes of Claesson etc. will be able to "easily" replace that steadiness? Go fish dude.

As for the top-6, first line is perfectly fine, but that 2nd line is incredibly dependent on all three players having a "comeback" season for it to be competitive imo and we don't know if MacA will stay healthy, much less get back to his old self. There's a lot of question marks for all three players.

Doesn't seem like Dorion will address these issues though, so I guess we'll have to hope everyone plays at their best and we sneak into the playoffs, perhaps getting some help at the deadline should we be in a good position then.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Top 4 D won't "easily" be filled by the kids. It'll be a struggle. Methot was a rock back there. He almost never made a mistake. You think the likes of Claesson etc. will be able to "easily" replace that steadiness? Go fish dude.

As for the top-6, first line is perfectly fine, but that 2nd line is incredibly dependent on all three players having a "comeback" season for it to be competitive imo and we don't know if MacA will stay healthy, much less get back to his old self. There's a lot of question marks for all three players.

Doesn't seem like Dorion will address these issues though, so I guess we'll have to hope everyone plays at their best and we sneak into the playoffs, perhaps getting some help at the deadline should we be in a good position then.

I agree about Methot. It wont be seamless and there will be growing pains to figure out who plays where, but to be optimistic at least we have more than one potential option.

Between Mac, Brass and Ryan... At least there's only one way to go because they couldn't possibly have a worse year right?

We've made our bed with the 12 Mil between Mac and Ryan and we really have no choice but to hope they bounce back as top 6 players.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

He was regularly losing focus in our own zone and going out of position. I'm ok with not re-signing him. The speed was nice, but he didn't bring that much else.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Switzerland is not a bad place to play hockey

You get to sleep in your own bed every night and play hockey in a very good league.

NLA is one of the best league in europe right now!!!

He made the right decision

Yep. The guy made around $15 mil in the NHL as a bottom 6 guy. He is set for life....now he can play for enjoyment in an easier league and take care of himself and family closer to home.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Definitely a player that's replaceable... Don't see the big deal here. I think one of White, Paul, Dzingel, Pyatt, McCormick will easily be able to replace his production/what he gave to the team.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We had no room for him anyways with Pyatt/Dzingel/Burrows/Thompson/White/Paul/McCormick all available for our 4th line for the next 2 years.

Wish him the best

Exactly, plus the salary dollars went to Nate Thompson.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

"as solid as they come defensively"?

I thought he was better than what we had in Neil and Kelly but there are better options defensively with players who have first three step quickness such as Pageau, Pyatt, Dzingle and perhaps Burrows.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Sure, if we are arguing Paul vs. Thompson, I said the same. But neither guy has an impact on Stalberg.

You bring up a good point. Burrows and Pyatt already being signed was probably the reason Dorion didn't re-sign Stalberg

If only we didn't make that ****ing Burrows trade. Could have Stalberg and Dahlen instead of Burrows right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->