Confirmed with Link: Viktor Stalberg is headed to Switzerland

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
He played well for us, but Thompson basically takes his place

It seems to me more like Thompson takes Kelly's place and Stalberg took Dzingel's spot in the playoffs.

Still, sorry to see this. Stalberg is exactly the type of player you want in your bottom six. Surprised he's not sticking around in the NHL, though... asking too much, maybe? Or did he want to play closer to home? Regardless, would've loved to see him back. Happy trails and thanks, Viktor.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I liked him a lot, but he's one of the poorest finishers I've seen relative to the rest of his skillset.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Lot's of hustle but was never a huge fan of his game, I think White as a 4 line W more then makes up for this lose and White will have more of an impact within games, such as score a goal

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I'm very surprised by this. Surely he could have had an NHL job somewhere had he wanted one? Size, speed, defensively responsible, SC champion experience and presumably affordable is a pretty excellent combination for a bottom six player.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I'm very surprised by this. Surely he could have had an NHL job somewhere had he wanted one? Size, speed, defensively responsible, SC champion experience and presumably affordable is a pretty excellent combination for a bottom six player.

I think the money overseas is what he wanted. Isn't it tax free in Swiss league?

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
YEah this is a little surprising and offputting. He's arguably more efficient than Thompson, and Thompson isn't a better finisher. Boucher also loved him, and he worked fine inside his system.

Tough break, wish him well.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We had no room for him anyways with Pyatt/Dzingel/Burrows/Thompson/White/Paul/McCormick all available for our 4th line for the next 2 years.

Wish him the best

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
YEah this is a little surprising and offputting. He's arguably more efficient than Thompson, and Thompson isn't a better finisher. Boucher also loved him, and he worked fine inside his system.

Tough break, wish him well.

I highly disagree with the Thompson signing, but Thompson is a center and Stalberg a winger.

Burrows/Pyatt are Stalbergs counterparts.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Perhaps the guy simply didn't want to play 100 games per year anymore. Especially in a heavy physical league like the NHL.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I would have loved to keep Stalberg, but really, at this point he only holds up Paul & White from getting time with the big club.

Our bottom six already looks something like this (sub Dzingel/Paul as needed):

Smith-Pageau-White
Pyatt-Thompson-Burrows

Dzingel, Paul

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Perhaps the guy simply didn't want to play 100 games per year anymore. Especially in a heavy physical league like the NHL.
Exactly. There are many possible reasons for his decision. People take it so personally, like the Sens did something wrong. 31 NHL didn't get the guy and I'll bet his reasons for playing overseas have nothing to do with the Sens.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Senschirp is saying he heard 1 year at around $1.5M.

Ottaw already has 12 forwards on one-ways and White, so 13 NHL forwards ready to play and about 11 of them are LW, don't know why we would add another LW to play in the bottom 6 when we already have Dzingel, Pyatt, Smith, Burrows, Thompson not to mention Paul, McCormick and Perron who will probably get games at LW - maybe even Chalpik - the last thing this team needs is antoher LW sitting on the bench at over 30 and + $1.5 million - can't see this being a real offer from Ottawa.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Ottaw already has 12 forwards on one-ways and White, so 13 NHL forwards ready to play and about 11 of them are LW, don't know why we would add another LW to play in the bottom 6 when we already have Dzingel, Pyatt, Smith, Burrows, Thompson not to mention Paul, McCormick and Perron who will probably get games at LW - maybe even Chalpik - the last thing this team needs is antoher LW sitting on the bench at over 30 and + $1.5 million - can't see this being a real offer from Ottawa.
Dorion has publicly said they had an offer on the table for Stalberg and they were just waiting to hear back from him. His decision was expected on the weekend and given that it's Tuesday it must have been a big one for him. For his own reasons he chose Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad