OT: Video Games IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
yeah, part of me is having an internal debate. I want to play the game, but I don't want to spend 299 on either a WiiU or a SWITCH that I won't really use for much more than Zelda at this point.

Maybe if Mario or a few other games get good reviews, I'll probably pony it up, but not until then.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I watched some youtube gameplay and I'm just not seeing the marvelous revolutionary wow factor.

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
I watched some youtube gameplay and I'm just not seeing the marvelous revolutionary wow factor.

The revolutionary part is its sheer size, openness and quality of things to do. It's like portal and skyrim had a baby and that baby is Jesus. At this point probably the best game of all time

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
yeah, part of me is having an internal debate. I want to play the game, but I don't want to spend 299 on either a WiiU or a SWITCH that I won't really use for much more than Zelda at this point.

Maybe if Mario or a few other games get good reviews, I'll probably pony it up, but not until then.

Don't do it. Plenty of new games on the PS4 (Horizon Zero Dawn for now, Mass Effect in 3 weeks) to tide you over.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Don't do it. Plenty of new games on the PS4 (Horizon Zero Dawn for now, Mass Effect in 3 weeks) to tide you over.

Similar thoughts, assuming you already have a PS4. I have no doubts that Zelda is amazing (even as someone who thinks the last great 3D Zelda came out 14 years ago), but I significantly doubt that it's better than being able to get Nioh, Horizon, Nier, Andromeda, and Persona 5 for less money combined.

Owning a PS4 is the main reason that I have neither the money nor the interest in buying a new console for one game at the moment. The Switch sounds like a holiday purchase if games like Mario and Xenoblade pan out. Also, it's a Nintendo product, so take some solace in the fact that they'll short stock this thing for the next few months, so you probably wouldn't be able to find one even if you wanted to.

Last edited:

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
And btw, played Horizon until 3 AM last night. Unbelievable game. It's specifically made for the PS4 Pro (which I don't have), so I actually found the graphics to be a tad dissapointing, but everything else is fan-tast-tic. Superb and varied gameplay, great story, brilliant voice acting, the works. Can't wait to play it again today.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's so freakin hard just to find gamplay vids on youtube without some egomaniac talking over the scenes or inserting his/her picture on the screen.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, I have Horizon Zero Dawn, and it's pretty great (even in non PS4-Pro). I'm enjoying it. I also have Mass Effect coming soon (though having a PC that can't really play it, I'm going to be a bit sad to play on my Xbox), so I have enough to tide me over.

That said, I'm getting the Zelda itch. The whole review stuff and watching people play it is making me want to play it. Even if it's stupid money to get there. Sure, there's plenty game wise to hold me over, but thinking of how great Ocarnia was, and if it's somewhat close to that, it's a crazy experience. Just the trouble is waiting.

I'll probably do so until I see whether or not the new Mario is worth getting as well and then make the move.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I've been addicted to For Honor all week. Still playing Overwatch as well. Too jumpy to touch my copy of Resident Evil 7.

Why do I even buy games like RE7 when I know I'll be too chicken to play them? (See: Alien Isolation, Evil Within, Outlast, Amnesia, plus the HD Remasters of RE0, RE1, and RE4. Oh yeah and RE5.) Why haven't I learned my lesson?

Also, I didn't realize that Nier Automata was a) available for PC, and b) made by the developers behind Bayonetta, and now I really want to play it (even though I don't have the time or the money).

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I got Zelda for the Wii U, so if you're into world games like Skyrim, Witcher, etc. than this will defiantly please you. Can't really say yet if its better than those games as I'm not really into open world games.

I wouldn't say it's so revolutionary that it's making me love the game despite my anti-open world stance. Although I do like it so far as I liked those other open world games, I'll eventually get tired of walking around and spending 90% of my time traveling between missions, which is what happened for those other games. Only GTA is fun in this regard, driving around, killing civilians and listening to the radio is a blast.

Luckily my brother loves open world games so it's never a waste of money for me to buy these type of games.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
Early impressions reports from Mass Effect Andromeda aren't great. Some really poor animations in the game. Faces, in particular, look like wax manikins.

Disappointing :( Guess I'll hold off upgrading the graphics card for a while longer.

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, those MEA animations are getting clowned pretty hard on twitter right now.

Luckily for me, I'm still only a tiny bit into ME2, so I've still got all of that game PLUS ME3 waiting for me if/when I want to enjoy that franchise some more.

Spent the snow day on the couch with my partner playing Overcooked. That game is a serious blast during couch-coop.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
Yeah, those MEA animations are getting clowned pretty hard on twitter right now.

Luckily for me, I'm still only a tiny bit into ME2, so I've still got all of that game PLUS ME3 waiting for me if/when I want to enjoy that franchise some more.

Spent the snow day on the couch with my partner playing Overcooked. That game is a serious blast during couch-coop.

I'm so jelly of you right now. You have so much ahead of you ...

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think we're going to hold off on getting a new kickass graphics card until we're also ready to figure out and purchase a proper 4K HDTV (one that will be used primarily for PC gaming while using a keyboard/mouse/controller/gamepad setup on the couch).

We're getting by just fine on her 1070 (primary gaming rig) and my 780 (secondary gaming rig) right now.

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'm so jelly of you right now. You have so much ahead of you ...

Hahah I know! I've been sitting on this gold mine forever. Finally modded out ME1 and played through it late last year. It looks GORGEOUS with the proper mods and textures. Did the same for ME2 earlier this year, but haven't gotten deep into it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
ME2 GOAT

along with Borderlands 2

although I've never really liked the ME inventory/upgrade system

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Early impressions reports from Mass Effect Andromeda aren't great. Some really poor animations in the game. Faces, in particular, look like wax manikins.

Disappointing :( Guess I'll hold off upgrading the graphics card for a while longer.

Keep in mind this is the same company who did Dragon Age: Inquisition, who's animations were so bad they were almost disturbing.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Just finished Horizon Zero Dawn. Great game overall. I have to say, it unashamedly borrows from a number of previous games: mainly from Far Cry and Tomb Raider, but also from Witcher 3, Uncharted, Skyrim, and even a little bit from The Last of Us. Nonetheless, the whole is definetly greater than the sum of the parts: great story, great main quest, amazing and gorgeous open world to explore, gameplay is great, and the boss fights are some of the most challenging since the Dark Souls series.

It could have truly been a GREAT game, up there with Uncharted 4 and Witcher 3, if not for three weakness: 1) Skill tree: basically the Far Cry skill tree, which it to say, flimsy and inadequate. You get to choose from 36 total skills in this game, none of which are upgradable; contrast that with say, Fallout 4, where you get to choose from 70 skills, almost all of which are upgradeable. 2) Loot: again, very poor selection of weapons and armor to choose from; wish they would have given you the breadth of weapons that you got in a game like Witcher 3; and finally 3) Glinthawks: they will drive you crazy. Hopefully the neighbors don't you hear you shouting and cursing when you have to fight these bast*rds.

Overall, though, a great game, one that I would highly recommend. 9 out of 10 stars.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'm really enjoying Horizon as well. 9/10 is where I'd put it too. With a few tweaks a sequel could be an all-time great game.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I'm really enjoying Horizon as well. 9/10 is where I'd put it too. With a few tweaks a sequel could be an all-time great game.

I can't wait to see the DLC and then hopefully a sequel. The DLC for Witcher 3 (Blood and Wine) was a huge improvement over the original game. I suspect the DLC for HZD will be fantastic too.

Sep 19, 2008
It's so freakin hard just to find gamplay vids on youtube without some egomaniac talking over the scenes or inserting his/her picture on the screen.

This. Can't watch a good gameplay video without **** commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad