Prospect Info: Victor Mete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Knowing nothing about this kid before the draft, he seems like the exact type of player that could thrive in the new NHL. Seems like Timmins and co. are really emphasizing skating in their picks. Hope he develops well!

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
The best value picks of the top 100 based on McKeen's rankings:

Kopacka +48
Mete +45
Fox +39
Pu +30
Ang +29
Bitten +23
Gustavsson +20

I loved my live viewings of Mete....the kid will play IMO. Even preferred him over Girard...much more polished and competitive in his own end. He was Hunter's top PK guy and was always on the ice the last minute protecting leads...very underrated defensively.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The best value picks of the top 100 based on McKeen's rankings:

Kopacka +48
Mete +45
Fox +39
Pu +30
Ang +29
Bitten +23
Gustavsson +20

I loved my live viewings of Mete....the kid will play IMO. Even preferred him over Girard...much more polished and competitive in his own end. He was Hunter's top PK guy and was always on the ice the last minute protecting leads...very underrated defensively.
Nice......we have 2 on that list, let's hope these guys develop well and are making a run to make the habs in 3-4 yrs.......really impressed with our top 3 picks this year, really impressed.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Habs fans have to love that the Habs draft Mete & Bitten, great skaters & competitors, rated at 44th & 48th OV in The Hockey News Top 100. While using our 39th & 45th to score Andy "the Dandy" Shaw, whose game will torment the opposition on one line, whilst Gallagher does the same on another. Will Bitten plays a very similar game to those two also, so there's three real pain in the ass players, ALL Game Long!!!...:laugh::laugh::laugh: Really happy with the outcome of this draft.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Habs fans have to love that the Habs draft Mete & Bitten, great skaters & competitors, rated at 44th & 48th OV in The Hockey News Top 100. While using our 39th & 45th to score Andy "the Dandy" Shaw, whose game will torment the opposition on one line, whilst Gallagher does the same on another. Will Bitten plays a very similar game to those two also, so there's three real pain in the ass players, ALL Game Long!!!...:laugh::laugh::laugh: Really happy with the outcome of this draft.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

That's all very nice, just like when the Habs got fallers Ben Maxwell and Ryan White in the 2006 draft.

Dec 2, 2010
He's got a loooong way to go to understand how to play his position properly but he's exceptional at certain skills. Worth the dice roll.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Anaheim picked at 85 and 93, if they wanted him that bad they would've taken him.. especially since he was expected to go higher.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
who would you guys rank higher Mete or Juulsen? Juulsen by a bit?
Juulsen by quite a lot. I admitedly don't know Mete very well outside of scouting reports and the games I watched from the Memorial Cup, but Juulsen is much more of a complete player, even at the same age. Juulsen's offensive decline this year is more due to team play than individual performance. It's too bad he's not AHL eligible because I believe he's ready for the pro game.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Said this before about Juolevi, but you need to understand the lack of huge numbers by London defencemen. Hunter wants his D to give the puck to the forwards in the slot. On the PP you will rarely see a shot from the point. His defence will always have lower numbers, in case anyone is confused why a supposed offensive defenceman on a loaded Knights team doesn't have numbers that jump out.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Mete is also a fearless shot blocker. But never takes himself out of a play to do it.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Mete is not the high risk/high reward style of D-man I expected when he was drafted into the OHL.

He is an exceptionally smart, high IQ guy who knows his limitations. He is always in position, with an active stick and makes himself effective against the bigger forwards. That is something Ryan Murphy sometimes struggled with. He was all about trying to impress offensively and often got caught. Mete doesn't. He also doesn't have that offensive upside either, but he is a very effective distributor.

Not quite as big, but game reminds me of Timmonen.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
He is an exceptionally smart, high IQ guy who knows his limitations.

Spot on. Little nuance I'd say playing more to his strengths than knowing his limitations.

If he makes it to the NHL, with whom he will be paired will be an important concern.

Stan

Mar 20, 2005
Wow....didn't know anything about him but he looks like a really interesting pick. I love his skating. I'd be interested in knowing how he plays in his own zone....but if he has a high hockey IQ as some have mentioned and seems apparent on the highlights...and is that good of a skater....I think he has a real shot to make it to the NHL in a few years. It'll be great to watch him develop.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
For those who don't know him, his acceleration and top end speed isn't just great, it's ridiculous, some of his end to end rushes or end to end back checks will make you wonder if your PVR is on fast forward or something.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
i see some highlight from him. he reminds me duncan keith. big fluidiity on skate, can bring the puck from his own goal at the other. seem to have a high hockey sense with good passes. have the same number of points than juoelvi or near...

he is not big, but can be a good pick...

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Let's not forget that this is twice that he has completely elevated his offensive output in the OHL playoffs.

If Juolevi makes the jump this year, Mete will probably play a lot of minutes.

Again, this is the new age of defencemen. He's a bit smaller, but if he gets to the puck first and closes gaps, he's just as effective as anyone else.

frost king

Dec 11, 2013
You will never see him pin anybody on the wall, or clear the front of the net. His excellent skating gets him into trouble in his own end on the PK, as he leaves the man open on the back door thinking that he can cover him. Has a very good stick, but will never engage physically. If you are not going to be physical in any form on the back end, how can you play the position? I am not talking about running people, but just even angling them to the wall, and finishing them off. Will take the skater to the outside, but continue to fish for the puck with the stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad