Prospect Info: Victor Mete

Status
Not open for further replies.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I like this pick. Knights dont give much PT to 16 ur old D often but last year he forced his way into all situations and was their best D after the deadline when they sent OA Mermis to Osh.
This year he got most assignments vs other teams #1 units.
Hes still got work to do and occassionaly is overmatched in front of net or on boards but has quick feet, active stick, transotions puck well and can flat out fly.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My favorite day 2 pick..

He's small, but he can skate, his offensive upside is good, he thinks the game extremely well and he can defend despite not being very big.

Mete, Victor

LD - London Knights (OHL) 5'09.5", 174

HockeyProspect.com Ranking: 108

Mete was selected in the first round, eighth overall at the 2014 OHL Priority Selection Draft by the Owen
Sound Attack. After a bit of a holdout, Mete was dealt to the London Knights. Mete got a lot of opportuni-
ties as a 16 year old for the Knights and put together impressive numbers. Mete improved on those num-
bers playing a bigger role for the Knights run.
Mete possesses elite level skating ability, which is the lifeblood of his talent. His ability to move laterally is
probably faster than some players can skate forward. This creates unique opportunities for Mete, in partially
open ice to exploit lanes and take the puck into the offensive zone. He will carry the puck deep into the
offensive zone where he can be a little inconsistent with his decision making. On the point he does a better
job moving the puck and always keeps his feet moving. Fortunately for Mete, even on turnovers he has the
speed to hurry back in the defensive zone, even when he's way behind the play. This special ability helps
keep him in good positioning. Unfortunately for Mete, he is undersized for the defensive position and lacks
strength. Bigger puck protecting forwards have been able to exploit him and drive to the net. While good
with his stick, he also struggles down low and gets dominated in battles.
Mete has some puck moving skills and he is an outstanding skater. However his size, strength and defensive
deficiencies weaken his draft stock. He also lacks a big shot, although he does a decent job of getting
pucks to the net.

Quotable: "Mete is a great junior player and should be a productive offensive defenseman
at the junior level, but his lack of size and defensive struggles worry me too much for
his NHL projection." - Ryan Yessie

Quotable: “I love him in the OHL but I think he needs to be much better offensively to
consider him early in the draft at his size. He uses his stick effectively and contains well
along the walls defensively, but really struggles to take pucks away from forwards. Very
little as far as chatter with NHL scouts about him this season.” – Mark Edwards

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver

Here's a video i did for Mete.

I like Mete where you guys got him. Very good value. He is a superb skater who worked really hard to improve his defense and wound up as the Knights 1st pairing D with Martenet. IMO, they faced the toughest competition. He is a huge minute muncher, the top on the team, didn't get a lot of chance on the PP, but switched on and off with Juolevi, but Juolevi got the bulk of the PP time. He loves to rush the puck, one of the best skaters in the league. Don't think he has much growing height wise left though.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm warming up to Mete. Might as well, I was hoping for a skilled smurf after all the good 'uns with size were taken in the 2nd.

I gotta say it's a sign of the times when we are all going through the prospects twitter pages and finding some gems.

It's like going through a kid's diary they wrote when they were 14 as they leave for college.

Exciting.

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
I love Mete, I was skeptical at first when he came to London. But now he's one of my favorites.

He plays like what the future of the NHL could be. Not overly physical (but can still muck it up in the corners), speed and TONS of it, instincts and passion. But what I think he does best is his stick game is amazing. Always has the stick in the right spot, and there's been countless "board battles" where the player expects to be pinned and battle. But Mete just does a crafty stick lift and boom he's gone the other way. His stick game is top notch.

As the pro game gets less and less physical, Mete is a perfect fit. You got yourself a keeper MTLiens

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Fantastic skater but lacks the vision and smarts of a Girard, i think that's the biggest difference between the two. Both need a lot of work in their own zone. good value pick in the 4th round for the habs,

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Mem Cup memory...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=118552093&postcount=9

Brandon has Tanner Kaspick...2nd or 3rd round pick and Clague who should go in the 2nd. Red Deer had a couple but mostly late rounders. Best prospects are on London with Tkachuk, Juolevi, Mete, Pu and Jones. All those guys will be gone after round 2. Mete is freakin impressive despite his small stature.

Great pick. Great start of the day today.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
"After being drafted 8th overall in the 2014 OHL Draft by the Owen Sound Attack, Victor Mete refused to report and was eventually traded to the London Knights for a package of draft picks."

Uhhh, I really don't like that...

Leafs fan here, not looking to troll or anything!

I know him and his family personally and the reason he didn't report was because his parents wanted him to go to school and Owen Sound didn't offer that. He is a really great kid that was brought up really well. He will have a great future.

Youu guys got a hell of a player and I really wanted him to go to Toronto. He will definitely be in the lineup for all those rivalry games in a couple years!

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

I know him and his family personally and the reason he didn't report was because his parents wanted him to go to school and Owen Sound didn't offer that. He is a really great kid that was brought up really well. He will have a great future.

Youu guys got a hell of a player and I really wanted him to go to Toronto. He will definitely be in the lineup for all those rivalry games in a couple years!

Thanks for the insight, I really like this prospect, looks like he's got great wheels too

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

If there was ever an acceptable reason to hold out that's the one imo.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Another good pick to me...Draft Preview had him 44th. A lot of small skilled d-men have gone onto good careers. Gostisbehere was drafted at 170 lbs. Look what he has become?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad