Prospect Info: Victor Mete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The Hockey Writers said Sami Vatanen.

Maple Leafs Hot stove said Kris Russell.

LWoS said he is stylistically (not talent level) similar to Sami Vatanen.

OHLwriters said Ryan Murphy (Hurricanes).

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Hard to tell. From his skating is top notch. Looks like a Patrick Kane on defense.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
A faster Kris Russell.

Nothing like Barrie at all as Mete is primarily a defensive player. Could play on a 2nd PP unit but not as the trigger man from the point.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
all i have to say is the guy would of had a better NHL future if he developped has a foward from the look of his play and size

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
From Bill Placzek:
Undersized defenseman with great poise, decisions, feet, skill set, and offensive capabilities. Decent at handling most attackers one on one, boxing them out. Is calm with the puck and is a terrific puck mover in the offensive zone and on the power play. Excellent with his decisions with the puck on the PP. Needs to get stronger and thicker if he is going to project as an all-around pro.

From Dominic Tiano:
Mete is an elite skater. It’s that skating ability that opens up options for him, whether it’s skating the puck out of danger or eluding a forechecker and getting himself into position to make a clean breakout pass. He has a decent shot and can quarterback the powerplay. Despite the lack of size, he uses his skating abilities to put himself in position defensively and combined with his active stick and surprising strength, keeps players much bigger than him to the outside. He’s also not afraid to battle down low and in front of his goal and it’s surprising how often he skates away with the puck.

From Joseph Aleong:
Strengths:
Skating speed
Good first pass
Good vision in offensive zone
Offensive instincts
Strong positioning in own zone

Under Construction (Improvements to Make):
Shot
Added strength
Inconsistent production
One on one defensive play
NHL Potential:

Mete’s offensive instincts are impressive, but his small stature makes him a riskier pick than most other defenders. However, his skating ability and potential as a power play quarterback could make him a valuable contributor on a second pairing as an offensively-minded blueliner.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I am from Kitchener and have watched him live about eight times. I am always wowed by his skating. His offensive numbers are not that big but I chalk it up to playing on a stacked London team. He was not needed for his offence. If his coaching staff ever gave him some free range he could be a dinger. A defenceman-winger. His skating reminds me very much of Ryan Murphy but his offence isn't as good at the OHL level.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
A future puck mover for sure. Great pick

I don't see the puck moving skill just yet, but he has room to improve. Great skater and puck carrier, I think the puck distribution will come because he's got a smart stick on D, so if he can see the play develop in that part of his game, it might translate offensively. But, again, I don't think it's great yet, even for the junior level.

I haven't seen a whole bunch of him, but these were my initial impressions.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
all i have to say is the guy would of had a better NHL future if he developped has a foward from the look of his play and size

Lol it sure does seem like it a bit doesnt it

Definitely love watching that, highlights are highlights and youtube makes anyone look good, but the skating is otherworldly, but whats encouraging is the offensive instincts and positioning, he does what beaulieu does in the sense that he tries to make every 2 on 2 and 3 on 3 into odd man rushes of 3 on 2's and 4 on 3's which is great , but its weird i find i wish beaulieu played more like what mete is showing in the vid lol

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Lol it sure does seem like it a bit doesnt it

Definitely love watching that, highlights are highlights and youtube makes anyone look good, but the skating is otherworldly, but whats encouraging is the offensive instincts and positioning, he does what beaulieu does in the sense that he tries to make every 2 on 2 and 3 on 3 into odd man rushes of 3 on 2's and 4 on 3's which is great , but its weird i find i wish beaulieu played more like what mete is showing in the vid lol

His skating is off the charts good.

I really like this pick, he screams late round steal to me.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Wow this kid is fast. It looks like he has some good puck skills to, with a good shot.

Many of his highlights were deep in the offensive zone and on the rush. It would be interesting to see what he could do on the wing...

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Wow this kid is fast. It looks like he has some good puck skills to, with a good shot.

Many of his highlights were deep in the offensive zone and on the rush. It would be interesting to see what he could do on the wing...

If he can get a little stronger and hone his defensive skills, he can be a dangerous defenseman which is even more valuable... Really like his skill set.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I love this pick in the 4th but I'm not quite sold. Still you have to love the upside. He's really dang small. I know the league is trending in his favour which is good.

I'm way more sold on Bitten personally but definitely rooting for VM.

edit: not quite sold on his NHL potential just to clarify.

It all depends on how much better he can be.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Should be converted to forward due to his size. Has the speed and hands to be good NHL forward but too small on backend. Would make good point on powerplay though

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It is really difficult to assess how good he will be due to the fact that London runs a system that is nothing like a pro system. They are a great junior organization but play to win at that level. Much like top NCAA football programs that simply run the QB option all day because it works at that level.

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015
Should be converted to forward due to his size. Has the speed and hands to be good NHL forward but too small on backend. Would make good point on powerplay though

Ryan Ellis says Hello!

His skating level is insane I've never seen a defenseman skate like that even defenseman that are elite skaters like subban aren't close to that.

Really looking foward to seeing what he can do in the next few years.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Ryan Ellis says Hello!

His skating level is insane I've never seen a defenseman skate like that even defenseman that are elite skaters like subban aren't close to that.

Same here, but PK is a great overall skater but his speed is far from elite. Skating wise this guy has the potential to be one of the best NHL skater of he can translate his game, like i stated above i feel like this guy should of been a foward, looks like he has a realy weak shot that woulnt tranlslate against NHL goalie. Time will tell the kid is 18 has alot of time to improves his weakness, but just to think his skating could get even better is crazy. I realy like the pick! Its litteral a do or die pick in his case, its gonna be everything or nothing

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Ryan Ellis says Hello!

Says hello to what? Mete gets pushed around in front of his own net, in OHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad