Kings News: Via DL: Quick sidelined around 3 months (10/19)

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
It's a bad trade rumor but if Brown was going the other way it makes a little more sense. You get Fleury for the season, you lose Brown's horrendous contract and play on the ice then Fleury gets taken by Vegas this summer. IMO, if you need to do Brown +1 I'd do it-Brown is that bad. How much cap space does Pittsburgh need when Murray is activated? Condon only makes 575K, that's not a lot of cap space if Condon is the actual target which is usually what happens in Ecklund rumors.

It makes absolutely no sense for Pittsburgh though. They can just lose Fleury to Vegas and gain $6 million in cap space.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
Why is Dustin Potato Brown's name being thrown around here? Is he part of a rumor that I missed? Who would take that bitter shell of a hockey player? He's pure garbage.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
MAF is at around 5.7M for 3 years
Brown is at 5.8 for 6 years.

Both teams retain 50% on the players. First 3 years it's a wash. After MAF's contract is up they get Brown at 50% cost. With cap increasing over 3 years no one would care about 3M for Brown.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
It's a bad trade rumor but if Brown was going the other way it makes a little more sense. You get Fleury for the season, you lose Brown's horrendous contract and play on the ice then Fleury gets taken by Vegas this summer. IMO, if you need to do Brown +1 I'd do it-Brown is that bad. How much cap space does Pittsburgh need when Murray is activated? Condon only makes 575K, that's not a lot of cap space if Condon is the actual target which is usually what happens in Ecklund rumors.

Brown would not be any trade to Pitts for a few reasons but CAP space being one.
With MM new deal, for 2017/18 Pens at 63M with only 14 commited (9 Forwards, 3 D, 2 goalies).

Nobody is taking Brown on that albatross of a contract.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Both teams retain 50% on the players. First 3 years it's a wash. After MAF's contract is up they get Brown at 50% cost. With cap increasing over 3 years no one would care about 3M for Brown.

No one except the team that has to carry that. Pens don't have the CAP space for Brown or the need.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

I don't think anyone is touching Brown, but what would you give Pittsburgh for them not needing to care about Brown's contract for an additional 3 seasons? Cap space is cap space, and I'm sure the Penguins could find a better way to use the $3m each year.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
No one except the team that has to carry that. Pens don't have the CAP space for Brown or the need.

1) If they move MAF they're taking cap back. If he were traded to Dallas then one of their 4-5M goalies would be coming back. It would be a necessity from the cap side of the trade. Then it comes down to would the Pens rather have a winger that could contribute every game or be paying Niemi 4.5M to be a backup. Really it isn't that far fetched.

2) Brown at 3M (after MAF's contract runs out) In 3 years, with the cap going up, players like King/Lewis will be making about 3M. At worst Brown would be overpaid by 1M at that point.

3) Kunitz is in his last year on his contract. Pen's need a Kunitz replacement. :)

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I don't think anyone is touching Brown, but what would you give Pittsburgh for them not needing to care about Brown's contract for an additional 3 seasons? Cap space is cap space, and I'm sure the Penguins could find a better way to use the $3m each year.

Would anyone be *****ing about Brown at 3M per year? You could stick him on the 3rd line and no one would really care. Maybe he makes a big hit or scores a goal. We have Lewis for 2M. You know he isn't going to score a goal.

Come on guys. Let me think this is a possibility for 5 mins. :laugh:

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

You can't do that.
Retained salary is at a constant percentage over the entire term.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
1) If they move MAF they're taking cap back. If he were traded to Dallas then one of their 4-5M goalies would be coming back. It would be a necessity from the cap side of the trade. Then it comes down to would the Pens rather have a winger that could contribute every game or be paying Niemi 4.5M to be a backup. Really it isn't that far fetched.

2) Brown at 3M (after MAF's contract runs out) In 3 years, with the cap going up, players like King/Lewis will be making about 3M. At worst Brown would be overpaid by 1M at that point.

3) Kunitz is in his last year on his contract. Pen's need a Kunitz replacement. :)

1) Dallas is trying to lose a $$ Goalie, not gain one, he's not going there. ANd Brown is not a winger who contributes , esp 'every game'.
Just because you want him gone, doesn't make him good bait.

2) They don't need Brown, he's not a sought after forward, esp at 3M. They have a farm system and 3rd line wingers they could opt for cheaper. They have Bonino and Fehr if they need veteran low tier forwards. And there are always vet players in Free agency that could be had cheap, for a 4th line.

3) Brown is not a Kunitz replacement, not even close.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
I know some Van fans want your 1st but I'd give you Miller for a conditional 3rd, if you make the playoffs its a 2nd and some cheap fringe youngish player that could turn it around but I wouldn't even care if it was only a 10% chance of him making it.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012

This actually makes sense to me. Hopefully, it'll make sense to the Penguins GM. They've built their top 6 around Crosby & Malkin. With this deal, they can build their bottom 6 around Brown.

I don't want to hear any crying, though, if and when we have to face them in the playoffs and the Cup-winning goal is scored by Dustin Brown! :laugh:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Would anyone be *****ing about Brown at 3M per year? You could stick him on the 3rd line and no one would really care. Maybe he makes a big hit or scores a goal. We have Lewis for 2M. You know he isn't going to score a goal.

Come on guys. Let me think this is a possibility for 5 mins. :laugh:

At this point, probably, but it's one thing if he's already on your team, and he at least means something to your team's history. Pittsburgh would be adding him for $3m for 3 additional seasons, well after he's already fallen off the face of the Earth, instead of just letting Fleury walk in 3 years if it got to that point.

It's fine to think about it. We all wonder how to get rid of Brown's contract. The issue is you seem to have the Kings come out ahead in the deal, and that's not going to happen.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
You can't do that.
Retained salary is at a constant percentage over the entire term.

Pit retains 50% on MAF

Kings retain 50% on Brown.

MAF cap hit would be 3M to the Kings and 3M to Pit that would last 3 years.

Brown's cap hit would be 3M to Kings and 3M to Pit that would last 6 years.

The first 3 years the deal would be a wash. The last 3 years Kings would pay 3M for Brown and Pit would pay 3M for Brown. So you can pull it off.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Pit retains 50% on MAF

The first 3 years the deal would be a wash. The last 3 years Kings would pay 3M for Brown and Pit would pay 3M for Brown. So you can pull it off.

IMHO, it's a good deal. Pitt, though, would probably want something else to make it even. Picks? Prospects? Another player(s)? So long as the prospects involved ARE NOT Mersch, Kempe, Amadio, LaDue, Brodinski (sp?), it's probably a good thing.....

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Come to think of it, we might have to retain 65% on Brown! :amazed:

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I know some Van fans want your 1st but I'd give you Miller for a conditional 3rd, if you make the playoffs its a 2nd and some cheap fringe youngish player that could turn it around but I wouldn't even care if it was only a 10% chance of him making it.

I think the Kings are done trading 1st round picks for the time being.

They don't have the cap space right now to add Miller even at 50%, and a cheap fringe guy wouldn't make enough space either. Gaborik will come back, and Quick will too as far as we know, so neither guy will be put on LTIR. The Kings would have to add at least some other vet making over at least $1m, and the Canucks probably don't want that, and it's probably all too complicated at some point. If the Kings get anyone, it's probably the cheapest and easiest guy to get.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Pit retains 50% on MAF

Or Pittsburgh can get almost $6m in cap space in 3 years if they have Fleury that long.

IMHO, it's a good deal. Pitt, though, would probably want something else to make it even. Picks? Prospects? Another player(s)? So long as the prospects involved ARE NOT Mersch, Kempe, Amadio, LaDue, Brodinski (sp?), it's probably a good thing.....

You want to get rid of the worst contract in the league, but not give up anything potentially good to do it?

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Pit retains 50% on MAF

Sorry went back a read it again now that I'm not on mobile.
Saw it as saying only 3 years of retention of Brown, which wouldn't be legal.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
This actually makes sense to me. Hopefully, it'll make sense to the Penguins GM. They've built their top 6 around Crosby & Malkin. With this deal, they can build their bottom 6 around Brown.

I don't want to hear any crying, though, if and when we have to face them in the playoffs and the Cup-winning goal is scored by Dustin Brown! :laugh:

What???

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
It's starting to make more sense in my head. :laugh:

Pit's choice in moving MAF is to a team like the Stars where they'll have to take back a 4.5M+ backup goalie. The other choice is to trade him for someone like Brown who is overpaid, but one way or another cap is going back with that contract.

-They may want to keep MAF or have a backup like Niemi. I don't see this as a concern. Those guys aren't getting it done in the playoffs* (unless they were on a stacked Chicago team). So 4.5M+ on a backup is a waste.

-Brown: We have the luxury of not protecting Brown in the expansion because his contract is terrible. If we retain 50% of that contract and trade him to Pit. Vegas may pick up Brown at 3M, if Pit doesn't want to protect him.

Vegas:
-Pit could just lose MAF to the expansion. MAF has a NMC, if he doesn't want to move to a startup team he isn't going to it. Also forces Pit to do something before the expansion draft if MAF doesn't want to go.
-Who would the Kings protect with MAF and Quick in the expansion? Answer MAF. Quick is turning 31 in Jan, signed for 6 more years at 5.8M, just had a second major groin tear, and plays an athletic style. That's a powder keg no matter how you look at it. I don't think Vegas will take Quick, and if they do the Kings get out of a sticky situation. Add to the Quick contract that it may be a year or 2 before the Kings are ready to make a push and the question is what shape will he be in? Jones and Murray were the 2 finalists for goalies this year. Don't think it's as big an issue as people make it out to be.

-If Quick is taken (not likely), roll with MAF, if he isn't taken flip MAF for some assets next year.

I don't see Pit as being in a great place. If MAF doesn't want to be on a bottom dwelling new team in the desert they have to trade him or expose Murray to the expansion. They could put a trade off until after the season, but that could be risky. Right now they're looking at Dallas as a trade partner. Does it make sense for Dallas? They're going to trade for MAF because that solved Pit's problems in the playoffs? He might be an upgrade on their situation now, but is it enough? How many other options is Pit going to have to move MAF before the end of the season?

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
It's starting to make more sense in my head. :laugh:

Pit's choice in moving MAF is to a team like the Stars where they'll have to take back a 4.5M+ backup goalie. The other choice is to trade him for someone like Brown who is overpaid, but one way or another cap is going back with that contract.

-They may want to keep MAF or have a backup like Niemi. I don't see this as a concern. Those guys aren't getting it done in the playoffs* (unless they were on a stacked Chicago team). So 4.5M+ on a backup is a waste.

-Brown: We have the luxury of not protecting Brown in the expansion because his contract is terrible. If we retain 50% of that contract and trade him to Pit. Vegas may pick up Brown at 3M, if Pit doesn't want to protect him.

Vegas:
-Pit could just lose MAF to the expansion. MAF has a NMC, if he doesn't want to move to a startup team he isn't going to it. Also forces Pit to do something before the expansion draft if MAF doesn't want to go.
-Who would the Kings protect with MAF and Quick in the expansion? Answer MAF. Quick is turning 31 in Jan, signed for 6 more years at 5.8M, just had a second major groin tear, and plays an athletic style. That's a powder keg no matter how you look at it. I don't think Vegas will take Quick, and if they do the Kings get out of a sticky situation. Add to the Quick contract that it may be a year or 2 before the Kings are ready to make a push and the question is what shape will he be in? Jones and Murray were the 2 finalists for goalies this year. Don't think it's as big an issue as people make it out to be.

-If Quick is taken (not likely), roll with MAF, if he isn't taken flip MAF for some assets next year.

I don't see Pit as being in a great place. If MAF doesn't want to be on a bottom dwelling new team in the desert they have to trade him or expose Murray to the expansion. They could put a trade off until after the season, but that could be risky. Right now they're looking at Dallas as a trade partner. Does it make sense for Dallas? They're going to trade for MAF because that solved Pit's problems in the playoffs? He might be an upgrade on their situation now, but is it enough? How many other options is Pit going to have to move MAF before the end of the season?

Your dreaming if you think the Kings brass would not protect Quick. Unless Dean is moved out there is 0% chance of that happening.

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Lack/Ward would be good, as long as ward agrees to waive his nmc so he wouldn't have to be protected in the expansion draft just in case he sticks around that long. Lack would be preferable being 550k cheaper but either would work. Then we have the option to keep him around just in case Quick doesn't come back this season or trade him at the deadline/draft. They would probably take one of clifford/lewis/AA and Zatkoff but might have to throw in a so-so prospect

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I think Budaj will get a good shot before anything happens. Remember both goalies expected to be a backup at best. Now, you are suddenly a starter on a team that still is considered to have high expectations, and you are filling in for one of the best in the business. There's going to be some pressure and discomfort there. That first goal last night was crappy communication, that stuff will get ironed out. If things don't get better after 15 games or so, I definitely see a move as a possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad