Confirmed Trade: [VGK/DAL] Marc Methot Traded To Dallas for G Dylan Ferguson + 2nd in 2020

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Don't do favors for your division, get a pound of flesh.

The pound of flesh was Theodore or Vatanen. Those were the options McPhee would have had from the Ducks as our worst-case scenario. He got one of them from us so I hardly think anyone was doing anyone favors. Unless you think Vegas taking on Stoner's contract was a favor, in which case I'll remind you that this was our worst-case scenario, and Vegas could have instead been choosing between Shaw, Kerdiles, and Wagner had we offloaded Vatanen and asked Bieksa to waive his NMC.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I also think that GMGM played himself with this one.

To him the biggest value in Methot was extracting the most assets possible out of Ottawa not to take him.

When Ottawa didn't bite they took him, figuring they could still flip him for something good. But, they were beholden to Methot's no trade list. And if only one of those teams was interested in him, McPhee's leverage was nil.

I also think that maybe some of these GMs that were forced into "the Pact" are giving McPhee some comeuppance and letting him know that the market he thought he had cornered on defenseman has shrunk to almost nothing.

I don't know how else you explain the returns for Methot and Schlemko, which might as well just be future considerations they're so far away from being anything.

I wonder if instead of McPhee cornering the market, the market has cornered McPhee?

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
I wonder if instead of McPhee cornering the market, the market has cornered McPhee?

This is it exactly. Especially with Free Agency about it begin. He overplayed his hand and has now dealt Schlemko and Methot for underwhelming returns and will probably have to retain some salary if he intends to move Emelin or Garrison for additional underwhelming returns.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
two losers here. McPhee and Dorion.

Really good trade for Dallas.

lol.

Dorion: 2nd round pick !! my final offer !! Your prices are crazy !!

McPhee: i've had enough, Jill you still got that 2nd rounder AND a blue-chip goalie prospect offer on the table? See Pierre, that's what a REAL offer looks like.

EK: for ****s sake..

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
I don't think the difference between it being a 2020 2nd instead of a 2018 2nd is that big of a killer for Vegas. They can always just use the 2nd as a trade asset if they want a faster return on investment. For me the loser seems to be Ottawa for not making a deal to keep Methot

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
I don't think the difference between it being a 2020 2nd instead of a 2018 2nd is that big of a killer for Vegas. They can always just use the 2nd as a trade asset if they want a faster return on investment. For me the loser seems to be Ottawa for not making a deal to keep Methot

Ottawa will deal with it like every other team. The clear loser is VGK and GMGM, they pretty much threw away the Ottawa expansion draft pick. The other players available in the expansion draft from the Sens are worth far more than a 2020 2nd rounder and a goaltender who will most likely never play in the NHL.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Dorion: 2nd round pick !! my final offer !! Your prices are crazy !!

McPhee: i've had enough, Jill you still got that 2nd rounder AND a blue-chip goalie prospect offer on the table? See Pierre, that's what a REAL offer looks like.

EK: for ****s sake..

:laugh:

for what its worth though pre expansion draft ottawa was offering our 2nd next year and a mid level spec (not sure of the exact prospect but francis perron and gabriel gagnes names were in the rumors)

however mcphee wanted us to trade our first+chlapik if he got to pick claesson or our first+white in order to pick boro so yeah

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ottawa will deal with it like every other team. The clear loser is VGK and GMGM, they pretty much threw away the Ottawa expansion draft pick. The other players available in the expansion draft from the Sens are worth far more than a 2020 2nd rounder and a goaltender who will most likely never play in the NHL.

Exactly they could have taken a young D like Claesson and had someone to play. They had their minds set on turning players into picks ... and blew it in a at least a few cases. There is an excellent chance the picks don't turn out as good as the players they could have had. They GMGM really slapped Dorion ...for what? cuz Dorion would not give up a 1st rounder in 2018 and Vegas would have had that and Claesson. I'm sure Vegas turned down a lot more from Ottawa to not take Methot than a 2nd round pick in 2020 and a 7th round Goalie from 2017... Very Poor on GMGM's part.

They likely could have had a 1st or 2nd this year and .. still ended up with Claesson vs the futures they traded Methot for... Very disruptive. Very disrespectful

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I mean I see what he's doing. He's trading for the far future. He now has three seconds in the 2019 and 2020 drafts. He's going to hang on to Neal and Perron and get likely two 2018 1sts for them. So he is trying to stack all drafts with 5-6 1st and 2nd round picks for the next three years.

I still don't like it, and the value isn't great. But he's going long-term on this.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I mean I see what He now has he's doing. He's trading for the far future. He now has three seconds in the 2019 and 2020 drafts. He's going to hang on to Neal and Perron and get likely two 2018 1sts for them. So he is trying to stack all drafts with 5-6 1st and 2nd round picks for the next three years.

I still don't like it, and the value isn't great. But he's going long-term on this.

He will need to have a balance of more veteran players , young players , prospects and picks ... if he keeps his team where he will have to sign several young players coming out of ELCs at the same time he will run into trouble... I don't like the way he has approached it... Should have kept some of the better players exposed. from the Wild, and Ducks as examples. They will be worth a lot for a while...

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
I mean I see what He now has he's doing. He's trading for the far future. He now has three seconds in the 2019 and 2020 drafts. He's going to hang on to Neal and Perron and get likely two 2018 1sts for them. So he is trying to stack all drafts with 5-6 1st and 2nd round picks for the next three years.

Yeah they are staggering the picks so they don't all become RFA at once. I don't like what they are doing either because I would prefer to see them take advantage of the more generous expansion format and be somewhat competitive right away, but the long term outlook is good if their fans can tolerate several years of tanking and building through the draft.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I mean I see what he's doing. He's trading for the far future. He now has three seconds in the 2019 and 2020 drafts. He's going to hang on to Neal and Perron and get likely two 2018 1sts for them. So he is trying to stack all drafts with 5-6 1st and 2nd round picks for the next three years.

I understand what he's trying to do as well -- at least I think I do. But what about keeping Methot and trading him at the deadline? Guys like him often get 1st rounders from desperate playoff teams. Unless he thinks the market will dry up or that playing on such a brutal team will diminish his value.

Regardless, I still think he made a number of poor decisions. There were a lot of obvious choices that anyone would have made (that he, and rightly so, made) but there are some real poor ones: Mrazek left on the table? Bellemare? Engellend? Haula and Tuch out of Minnesota? The first three are easy decisions and have a pretty simple remedy: pick a better player. The Minnesota deal has more moving parts so it's hard to know what else would have been available to him. Still, he's barely keeping his head above water from a competency perspective.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
I understand what he's trying to do as well -- at least I think I do. But what about keeping Methot and trading him at the deadline? Guys like him often get 1st rounders from desperate playoff teams. Unless he thinks the market will dry up or that playing on such a brutal team will diminish his value.

Regardless, I still think he made a number of poor decisions. There were a lot of obvious choices that anyone would have made (that he, and rightly so, made) but there are some real poor ones: Mrazek left on the table? Bellemare? Engellend? Haula and Tuch out of Minnesota? The first three are easy decisions and have a pretty simple remedy: pick a better player. The Minnesota deal has more moving parts so it's hard to know what else would have been available to him. Still, he's barely keeping his head above water from a competency perspective.

You risk too much if they get injured. Methot would probably fetch a late first at the deadline but would fetch nothing if he's done for the year. Neal and Perron are the same and it wouldn't surprise me to see one of them moved still this offseason to guarantee a return.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
You risk too much if they get injured. Methot would probably fetch a late first at the deadline but would fetch nothing if he's done for the year. Neal and Perron are the same and it wouldn't surprise me to see one of them moved still this offseason to guarantee a return.

Risk too much? He'd been risking a 2020 2nd round pick. And Methot had 2 years left on his deal, so there wouldn't be a risk of him walking at the end of the year.

There's no defending this trade.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
How do people know these moves are mistakes, and what have they been held back from? They haven't even played a game yet.

Calvin dehaan>>>>>>>grabovski makes them more competitive.
Sbisa horrible expiring contract.
Emelin horrible expiring contract.

i was responding to people saying they aren't coming out as competitive as they could have been. That is not wrong. Held back from being more competitive than they now will be. They had an opportunity to be relatively competitive out of the gate and likely will be far from that now. I don't know these moves at guaranteed mistakes but judging from what I see so far a few things they've done are questionable. Not unlike other 's but they seem to be removing their opportunity to be ok out of the gate. I don't understand the odd position that you can't judge them because they haven't played a game. That would then mean we should never discuss trades draft picks prospects or signings and the dollar values attached before they play a game. This is a discussion board In which we give our own opinions.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

Isn't he a good draft guy but not a finisher. Seems like a good plan to build the team and then get a new gm that puts the pieces together in a couple years

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
He will need to have a balance of more veteran players , young players , prospects and picks ... if he keeps his team where he will have to sign several young players coming out of ELCs at the same time he will run into trouble... I don't like the way he has approached it... Should have kept some of the better players exposed. from the Wild, and Ducks as examples. They will be worth a lot for a while...

Agreed. This reeks of trying to reinvent the wheel. There are all kinds of potential bottle necks to his plan. The contracts of the young guys as you mentioned, bonuses, no leadership built in, team of 20 year olds in Vegas, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad