Confirmed Trade: [VGK/DAL] Marc Methot Traded To Dallas for G Dylan Ferguson + 2nd in 2020

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
This is basically just a 2nd round pick. Ferguson isn’t even the best goalie on his WHL team, sorry.

There’s no way Methot was only worth a 2nd... in 2020...

#FireGMGM

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
i think McPhee over valued the marketplace for D.

I wonder if he actually went to all the clubs and said hey I know you are looking for a D which one are you interested in off the expansion list and what is your offer.

I don't think he did as there was no other trades made right after the expansion draft and he is till holding onto D.

He overplayed his hand and now is screwed by taking crappy deals like the Methot one. Why didn't he hold onto Methot and deal him at the deadline where he could have gotten a bigger bounty from a contender.

I think he messed up in his expansion drafting by taking D figuring he could flip them.

When he had all the leverage at the expansion draft he made it clear he would be stockpiling defenders. He chose defencemen over some younger players that could have helped Vegas to have them as trade chips.

Now that he doesn't have the leverage anymore, NHL GMs are hazing him and forcing him to sell cheap.

danfromwaterloo

Dec 16, 2010
Hard to believe that return. The only thing that makes sense to me is that Methot requested a trade privately, and specified a handful of teams.

Basically, they got him for a 2nd and a 7th - which is significantly lower than what many other teams would have offered. There has to be some impetus for it, and there had to be restrictions.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
i think McPhee over valued the marketplace for D.

I wonder if he actually went to all the clubs and said hey I know you are looking for a D which one are you interested in off the expansion list and what is your offer.

I don't think he did as there was no other trades made right after the expansion draft and he is till holding onto D.

He overplayed his hand and now is screwed by taking crappy deals like the Methot one. Why didn't he hold onto Methot and deal him at the deadline where he could have gotten a bigger bounty from a contender.

I think he messed up in his expansion drafting by taking D figuring he could flip them.

I don't think he overvalued the market, I think he made bizarre choices. Sbisa, Emelin, and Garrison are not guys you need if you are already planning on getting Engeland. Maybe there would be a trade market for Davidson, but there sure as heck isn't one for Sbisa. And flipping Schlemko for a 5th in 2 years is bananas.

I think they made a strong move on the Islanders, but they should have let Minnesota and Anaheim burn down their rosters to save their guys instead of cutting those deals.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I have to hope the Sens offered a little more but McPhee went with the Dallas deal anyway all part and parcel of the Sens not ponying up 2018 1st + to have Vegas lay off him in the expansion draft.

Another Hockey player gone from Vegas ... Its a good thing the NHL set up the protection rules and provided an environment where Vegas could draft a fairly competitive team; just to have them tank before playing a game

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
simmons was on the radio this morning and said that the price was very low but not many of the teams on his no trade list were interested.

i think that makes sense why the price would be so long but having said that he also had the option not to trade him at that price.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
simmons was on the radio this morning and said that the price was very low but not many of the teams on his no trade list were interested.

i think that makes sense why the price would be so long but having said that he also had the option not to trade him at that price.

Methot doesn't do them any good now. The pick is so far away it's stunning, but in a perfect world Vegas' prospects from this year's draft are beginning to pan out by the time that 2020 pick is made.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I think it is not a bad return - Methot is signed for 2 years at just under 5 mil per. I don't think the Knights need him - they have a lot of veteran dmen so they will be ok with their group. GMGM unloads term and gets a 2nd round plus a flyer on a prospect. This contract might be tougher to move later if he waits.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
I don't think he overvalued the market, I think he made bizarre choices. Sbisa, Emelin, and Garrison are not guys you need if you are already planning on getting Engeland. Maybe there would be a trade market for Davidson, but there sure as heck isn't one for Sbisa. And flipping Schlemko for a 5th in 2 years is bananas.

I think they made a strong move on the Islanders, but they should have let Minnesota and Anaheim burn down their rosters to save their guys instead of cutting those deals.

I agree with everything you say here except for the anaheim bit. Our worst-case scenario was asking Bieksa to waive his NMC (and if not, then buying him out). Then we protect Manson and let Vegas have Vatanen in the draft (and keep Theodore). That was our worst-case scenario and is hardly burning the roster down. In fact, after reading what many have posted about Theodore on this site over the past week or so, one might say we'd be better off having let them have Vatanen, keeping Theodore and using the new capspace for a 3C.

I'm not one of those people because I like Vatanen more than Theodore, but my point is we had options and at worst, Vegas was getting one of Theodore or Vatanen from us. That's a lot, but not a total disaster for a team with a lot of good young defensemen already. And this is not even considering the best case scenario, in which we got Bieksa to waive, moved Vatanen for a young and cost-controlled forward with some talent, and let Vegas choose from Kerdiles or Wagner.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I think it is not a bad return - Methot is signed for 2 years at just under 5 mil per. I don't think the Knights need him - they have a lot of veteran dmen so they will be ok with their group. GMGM unloads term and gets a 2nd round plus a flyer on a prospect. This contract might be tougher to move later if he waits.

How can you think that's a deal?

They just traded their best D for a player with a 40% chance to make the NHL 5 years ago.

Awful. Completely awful.

http://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-percentages-in-the-nhl-draft-1.206144

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
I've been thinking for a while that he should have just selected the best players that were made available and then deal with it after the ED. Except for the trades that netted 1st rounders. Overthinking on McPhees part and if he doesn't get a great return for Neal, or is able to sign a top FA, he will be an abject failure thus far. Lol, he's already in salary cap trouble, the franchise has been alive for one week. :laugh:

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010

I don't mind the ANA deal Theodore is going to be a very good D and all for 1 year of Stoner whom you can flip for anything really.

I think they screwed up the Minny deal and should have taken Dumba or Scandella and those any of those guys would have brought back more than any D they got would.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I've been thinking for a while that he should have just selected the best players that were made available and then deal with it after the ED. Except for the trades that netted 1st rounders. Overthinking on McPhees part and if he doesn't get a great return for Neal, or is able to sign a top FA, he will be an abject failure thus far. Lol, he's already in salary cap trouble, the franchise has been alive for one week. :laugh:

He is stupid. I can say that with confidence

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

If he just picked BPA he has a playoff worthy D and G position with close playoff ready forward group that could compete with a couple UFA signings. Instead he has a playoff ready G with **** D and **** forwards, and no chance to sign any good UFA's.

I'm not sure McPhee even has a job in 2020.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If he just picked BPA he has a playoff worthy D and G position with close playoff ready forward group that could compete with a couple UFA signings. Instead he has a playoff ready G with **** D and **** forwards, and no chance to sign any good UFA's.

I'm not sure McPhee even has a job in 2020.

He may not make it out of 2018, not joking.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
so....obviously the Leafs were never in on Methot. Vegas is panicking and does not want to be left with all these dmen and salary so they are taking anything really.

a 2nd in 2020 and goalie weak goalie prospect is all they got. Leafs easily could have paid that price considering they were not qualifying Bibeau.

media talks a lot of rumours regarding dmen but obviously the leafs value their future assets highly and will only pay the price for HIGH-END talent. Not Hamonic, Methot, etc....

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
so....obviously the Leafs were never in on Methot. Vegas is panicking and does not want to be left with all these dmen and salary so they are taking anything really.

a 2nd in 2020 and goalie weak goalie prospect is all they got. Leafs easily could have paid that price considering they were not qualifying Bibeau.

media talks a lot of rumours regarding dmen but obviously the leafs value their future assets highly and will only pay the price for HIGH-END talent. Not Hamonic, Methot, etc....

The Leafs were on Methot's no trade list. Every Canadian team other than Ottawa was.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I also think that GMGM played himself with this one.

To him the biggest value in Methot was extracting the most assets possible out of Ottawa not to take him.

When Ottawa didn't bite they took him, figuring they could still flip him for something good. But, they were beholden to Methot's no trade list. And if only one of those teams was interested in him, McPhee's leverage was nil.

I also think that maybe some of these GMs that were forced into "the Pact" are giving McPhee some comeuppance and letting him know that the market he thought he had cornered on defenseman has shrunk to almost nothing.

I don't know how else you explain the returns for Methot and Schlemko, which might as well just be future considerations they're so far away from being anything.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Leafs had significant interest in Hamonic, as noted by several reputable media sources, and were on Methot's no-trade list.

Try again.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I'm not a Sens fan (Leafs fan) but damn Ottawa got royally ****ed by McPhee.
If it's true that he tried to extort more from the Sens so Vegas doesn't draft Methot, then turns around and trades him for next to nothing just to (it seems) **** off the Sens then McPhee is a ****ing waste of skin.

Nothing against Vegas fans but I hope the team sucks big time as long as McPhee is GM. Guy is an *******.

Didn't Methot make it known he wanted to play in Ottawa, one of the reasons the Jackets traded him there?

Methot made it clear he wanted to stay in Ottawa. Dorion reportedly made a pitch at Methot before he was traded to Dallas, probably for more than what Dallas paid.

McPhee is a pretty ****. Just pissed that Dorion called his bluff on the outrageous pre-draft price on Methot. This level of pettiness is on par with the Scott trade to Montreal.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I agree with everything you say here except for the anaheim bit. Our worst-case scenario was asking Bieksa to waive his NMC (and if not, then buying him out). Then we protect Manson and let Vegas have Vatanen in the draft (and keep Theodore). That was our worst-case scenario and is hardly burning the roster down. In fact, after reading what many have posted about Theodore on this site over the past week or so, one might say we'd be better off having let them have Vatanen, keeping Theodore and using the new capspace for a 3C.

I'm not one of those people because I like Vatanen more than Theodore, but my point is we had options and at worst, Vegas was getting one of Theodore or Vatanen from us. That's a lot, but not a total disaster for a team with a lot of good young defensemen already. And this is not even considering the best case scenario, in which we got Bieksa to waive, moved Vatanen for a young and cost-controlled forward with some talent, and let Vegas choose from Kerdiles or Wagner.

I don't mind the ANA deal Theodore is going to be a very good D and all for 1 year of Stoner whom you can flip for anything really.

I think they screwed up the Minny deal and should have taken Dumba or Scandella and those any of those guys would have brought back more than any D they got would.

Don't do favors for your division, get a pound of flesh.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania

His goaltending is above average with Fleury and had he kept Methot, his defense with Methot, Miller, Theodore, Schmidt, Engelland, Garrison, and Emelin (in no particular order here) would have been serviceable if not even above average overall. His forward corps has a bunch of guys who can play defense like Haula, Bellemare, Karlsson, Eakin so this would improve their overall defensive play. He drafted a few guys who can score in Perron, Neal, and Marchessault and signed Shipachyov. He could have drafted a few more scoring forwards as well but chose guys like Schlemko over Boedker, etc. etc.

The NHL gave Vegas every opportunity to come into the league as a competitive team that would at least be hard to play against. They obviously lacked a 1D and 1C but the players available were enough to ice a decent team. Instead, we'll see McPhee slowly whittle away any player with value so they can tank this season and next and build through the draft. I'm not saying that's the wrong choice in the long run, but it is disappointing to see a brand new franchise with every opportunity to ice a half decent team spurn it all in favor of a scorched earth style rebuild (first build).

I think a lot of people are giving them credit because they have seen how poorly past expansions have fared from the get-go. But this was done under different rules and was only one team rather than the typical two teams at a time. There were more quality players available and the draft lotto system is now in place so even if they were able to ascend to a playoff bubble team they still would have had a chance at a higher pick in what looks to be a good 2018 draft.

I think they did their fans a disservice by committing to a tank rebuild style build rather than trying to start a winning culture right away. The tank rebuild works but for every Pittsburgh and Chicago there is a Phoenix and Edmonton (pre 2016). Its better to start a winning culture and become a place UFAs want to sign with and draft well with early to mid 1st rounders, than start off tanking and flounder for many years until you have been able to draft two or three cornerstone players (one seemingly needing to be a generational-type talent) and build around that.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
He is stupid. I can say that with confidence

George had a terrible expansion draft, but then turns around and has a great entry draft.

In a way, whatever good Mcphee did at the entry draft he just lost with this trade. :booboo:
McPhee cancelled himself out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad