Confirmed Trade: [VGK/DAL] Marc Methot Traded To Dallas for G Dylan Ferguson + 2nd in 2020

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
clears it up a bit, McPhee and his damn pride. Imagine how vegas feels knowing ottawa would have beaten this offer but would not pay the price that was set pre expansion draft so mcphee dealt him for pennies

I thought the excuse for McPhee performing so poorly in the expansion draft was to maintain relationships with other GMs. :laugh:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Clearly this wasn't the price for Ottawa to have protected him. It probably started with a 1st and went from there and when Dorion told him to get stuffed he took the next best offer he could get from a team Methot would waive to.

He played chicken with Ottawa and both teams lost, because if McPhee thinks that's all Methot is worth, he's wrong and he made a bad trade.

The only winner here is Dallas - and even then, they don't have anything approaching Karlsson to pair with Methot.

Klingberg is close enough. Honka is good too

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I thought the excuse for McPhee performing so poorly in the expansion draft was to maintain relationships with other GMs. :laugh:

with most gms sure, but everyone knows he wanted to get back at poile for the forsberg deal haha and he wasnt going to lose a negotiation to a rookie gm

heres hoping the lottery hands something on a silver platter to vegas otherwise mcphee has screwed them for the indefinite future

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
I'd be pretty pissed off if I was a Vegas fan. McPhee could've picked up Claesson or Wideman from the Sens and you guys would've actually had a player who can play in the back end plus they would've fit the mold of young, good and cheap that McPhee seems to be going for with the roster. Cleasson or Wideman seems like a much better option than a 2020 2nd rounder and Ferguson.

Instead, McPhee decides to play the game using his emotions and spite, which is a surefire way to build a failure of a team.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Those who defend McPhee keep saying it's a long offseason, don't judge him now! Do people really think this guy is going to improve the team after free agency?
What free agent would want to sign in Vegas? They are going to be the worst team in the league in the foreseeable future. But people think they are just going to go sign good players? How could you possibly believe that?

I suspect McPhee will take some horrible contracts in exchange for some 6th round picks in 2021.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
clears it up a bit, McPhee and his damn pride. Imagine how vegas feels knowing ottawa would have beaten this offer but would not pay the price that was set pre expansion draft so mcphee dealt him for pennies

I'm not a Sens fan (Leafs fan) but damn Ottawa got royally ****ed by McPhee.
If it's true that he tried to extort more from the Sens so Vegas doesn't draft Methot, then turns around and trades him for next to nothing just to (it seems) **** off the Sens then McPhee is a ****ing waste of skin.

Nothing against Vegas fans but I hope the team sucks big time as long as McPhee is GM. Guy is an *******.

Didn't Methot make it known he wanted to play in Ottawa, one of the reasons the Jackets traded him there?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
This seems fine to me? A decent prospect and a 2nd round pick for a 32 year old that's under contract for 2 more seasons.

Zusammenhalt

Dump & chase-not a fan of
Jan 18, 2007
Depot Division
McPhee is a bad GM. He thought Forsberg was worse than Erat, and Schlemko wasn't worth more than a 5th. At the point the other GM's are abusing him.

Not true.

The trade for Erat was due to pressure to make a big run in the playoffs. At the time Forsberg was young and not ready with rumours that his skating was not that good. Erat was the better player until Ovi wiped him out in a collision and after he was never the same.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If I owned the team and he went over with me the selections at his draft. I would have already intervened. This Methot thing would have seen it blocked and him fired. This is some of the worst GMing i have ever seen in my life, an NHL 17 playing teenager could have done better than McPhee.

Vegas fans should be furious

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
This seems fine to me? A decent prospect and a 2nd round pick for a 32 year old that's under contract for 2 more seasons.

You (or anyone else really) has no idea if an 18 year old goalie drafted a few days ago in the 7th round is a 'decent prospect'. Goalies are crapshoots unless they are a supreme talent taken in the 1st/2nd rounds.

I definitely understand people thinking McPhee didn't get enough in return for MM.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I find it very hard to believe that the Sens wouldn't have beaten that offer, especially considering reports that have surfaced that the Sens tried to re-acquire him.

Extremely weak move by McPhee. Not only did he get a garbage return but he also likely pissed off a few people in this process.

It's a complete shame that Methot is no longer a Senator.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Part of building an expansion team is marketing it.. and these kinds of deals are not useful there...

We are witnessing idiocy full spectrum, circumference you name it. McPhee is so bad that i cant believe the whole hockey community isnt questioning his sanity.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I find it very hard to believe that the Sens wouldn't have beaten that offer, especially considering reports that have surfaced that the Sens tried to re-acquire him.

Extremely weak move by McPhee. Not only did he get a garbage return but he also likely pissed off a few people in this process.

It's a complete shame that Methot is no longer a Senator.

I thought you couldn't trade a player lost in the expansion draft back to their original team for at least 1 year.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Las Vegas is going to be a tough sell as is for hockey. The deals Mcphee is making aren't helping matters at all. Think getting Methot makes Dallas a playoff team next yr.

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
I thought you couldn't trade a player lost in the expansion draft back to their original team for at least 1 year.

Bill Daly confirmed on Friday that this wasn't true and that teams can trade for a player they lost in the expansion draft.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
If Dallas can add a good RW and another defender, watch out.

Really don't think we add an other D man. We have essentially added 2 new D men for next year already. Honka on the right side and Methot on the left. Those are 2 significant adds and are huge additions over the likes of Oleksiak/Nemeth/Benn/Pateryn that had those spots last year

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
Las Vegas is going to be a tough sell as is for hockey. The deals Mcphee is making aren't helping matters at all. Think getting Methot makes Dallas a playoff team next yr.

Never mind playoff team they could be a legit contender. Adding bishop methot and hitch and the 3rd overall pick is a great start to the off season. Bounce back years from seguin benn and kling and they looked poised to do some real damage.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
i think McPhee over valued the marketplace for D.

I wonder if he actually went to all the clubs and said hey I know you are looking for a D which one are you interested in off the expansion list and what is your offer.

I don't think he did as there was no other trades made right after the expansion draft and he is till holding onto D.

He overplayed his hand and now is screwed by taking crappy deals like the Methot one. Why didn't he hold onto Methot and deal him at the deadline where he could have gotten a bigger bounty from a contender.

I think he messed up in his expansion drafting by taking D figuring he could flip them.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I'd be pretty pissed off if I was a Vegas fan. McPhee could've picked up Claesson or Wideman from the Sens and you guys would've actually had a player who can play in the back end plus they would've fit the mold of young, good and cheap that McPhee seems to be going for with the roster. Cleasson or Wideman seems like a much better option than a 2020 2nd rounder and Ferguson.

Instead, McPhee decides to play the game using his emotions and spite, which is a surefire way to build a failure of a team.

This is what I don't get -- from an asset-management perspective, why not just take Claesson to begin with? He looks to be on the upswing and could've remained a part of the team for a long time.

I really think McPhee has done a subpar job. There have been some very questionable selections and trades so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad