Confirmed Trade: [VGK/DAL] Marc Methot Traded To Dallas for G Dylan Ferguson + 2nd in 2020

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Originally Posted by catgoldfish
Who cares about Methot. May you rot in Dallas. A player who says they don't want to play in Canada can go to hell.

You can thank you media outlets for that

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
McPhee overplayed his strategy of flipping expansion picks to other teams in order to accrue draft picks. I'm not closely familiar with all of the expansion draft picks, but IIRC most of the 11 D-men were NHL regulars.

By doing that, he backed himself into a corner where he would have to trade those guys rather than being able to be selective about the ones he wanted to trade. He had an excess supply for guys where there was/is not much demand and so he had to accept laughable prices.

If he had simply taken good players, across a balance of positions, with a good number of prospects on 2-way deals then he would be in a much better position.

And why in the world would he take pending free agents? That's just absolute lunacy. Complete waste of expansion draft picks. If you like those guys, fine, make them an offer when UFA opens.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
There were good young players available. Look at Ottawa's board and the posters worrying about looking Claesson or Wideman.

I mean, they aren't superstars, but they're worth more than a 2nd in 2020 and MUCH easier to flip.

masasa

Oct 10, 2016
Vegas GM is so terrible you have to wonder if he is being influenced somehow. Did the other GM's manipulate him, making him believe there would be a big market for defenceman during the expansion draft negotiations? Was he bullied in private to take bad players or face being blacklisted in terms of future trades with other teams? Was he bribed(I don't believe so but it crossed my mind)?

I just don't get why he picked so bad, when he could have easily got playoff conteder from year 1, at least with few good UFA signings. And if it didn't go well enough he could flip assets at trade deadline for good picks.

Marchessault-Shipachyov-UFA(Radulov/Vanek/Marleu/Jagr/Sharp/Williams/Gusev/Dadanov)
Perron-Nelson-Neal
Weal-Eakin-Anderson
Leipsic-Tierney-Grigorenko
(Dano,Nosek,Hudon)

Methot-Vatanen
Alzner(UFA)-Dumba
Schimdt-Miller
(Dotchin)

Fleury
Raanta

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Vegas GM is so terrible you have to wonder if he is being influenced somehow. Did the other GM's manipulate him, making him believe there would be a big market for defenceman during the expansion draft negotiations? Was he bullied in private to take bad players or face being blacklisted in terms of future trades with other teams? Was he bribed(I don't believe so but it crossed my mind)?

I just don't get why he picked so bad, when he could have easily got playoff conteder from year 1, at least with few good UFA signings. And if it didn't go well enough he could flip assets at trade deadline for good picks.

Marchessault-Shipachyov-UFA(Radulov/Vanek/Marleu/Jagr/Sharp/Williams/Gusev/Dadanov)
Perron-Nelson-Neal
Weal-Eakin-Anderson
(Dano,Nosek,Hudon)

Methot-Vatanen
Alzner(UFA)-Dumba
Schimdt-Miller
(Dotchin)

Fleury
Raanta

These players were not available. They may have seemed available, but they were unprotected solely because GM made deals with those teams. If he didn't, those teams would have traded around as necessary to keep their squads in tact. Also Tierney was protected. Weal is a UFA.

masasa

Oct 10, 2016
These players were not available. They may have seemed available, but they were unprotected solely because GM made deals with those teams. If he didn't, those teams would have traded around as necessary to keep their squads in tact. Also Tierney was protected. Weal is a UFA.

I get that he made deals, but to say those players would have been traded might have just been a bluff and even if it happened that would have left other good assets available. Yeah I made couple mistakes there(I took that lineup from some notes I made before the expansion draft), but point still stands.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Good on Dallas picking up a great D-man. Methot could have been on team Canada in Sochi. Ottawa better surround Karlsson with some good replacements. Just my 2 cents

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I get that he made deals, but to say those players would have been traded might have just been a bluff and even if it happened that would have left other good assets available. Yeah I made couple mistakes there(I took that lineup from some notes I made before the expansion draft), but point still stands.

Well, for the Ducks it wouldn't have been difficult to trade Vatanen. Buying out Bieksa and selling low on Sami is far from ideal, but at the end of the day it's better than losing Sami for free. They had no other player they worried of losing.

Dealing Dumba would've been more tricky for the Wild, but is Scandella/Staal going to net Vegas a better return than Tuch+Haula? I doubt it.

etc.

Moves they made were calculated. They made their own estimation what they could get from player A down the line and whether it was worth it or not to make a trade with the team directly.

Although i do think they were too generous towards the Isles. Multiple good players available from NYI, they would've had to blow it up good to protect everybody. I still don't quite understand that one.

But overall i think they did a decent job. Remember Shipachyov is not a guarantee to work out in the NHL. If he doesn't even if he picked the best team possible it wouldn't be good without a #1 center. Then you can always face injuries, players going through difficult years etc. to risk getting good value @ TDL.

IMO people are overreacting to the team they have now. It can still be decent depending on how some players step up, and they got a lot of good assets in the process.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I understand what he's trying to do as well -- at least I think I do. But what about keeping Methot and trading him at the deadline? Guys like him often get 1st rounders from desperate playoff teams. Unless he thinks the market will dry up or that playing on such a brutal team will diminish his value.

Methot has two years left on his deal, which would reduce the # of potential teams interested in him at the TDL.

In fact, I notice all of the veteran D Vegas has remaining now have only one year remaining on their contracts. Garrison, Emelin, Sbisa, Stoner, McNabb, Merrill, Miller, Engelland. The two guys with more then one year were the first to be moved (Methot, Schlemko).

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
What a fail by OTT:facepalm

Did you read any of this thread? Ottawa protected their assets here as best they could.

Methot is a #4 D on a good team. I'd love it if they kept him, but not for a first rounder.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Easier said than done.. not all of them would have been successful

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Perron-Nelson-Neal
Weal-Eakin-Anderson
(Dano,Nosek,Hudon)

Methot-Vatanen
Alzner(UFA)-Dumba
Schimdt-Miller
(Dotchin)

Fleury
Raanta

I agree he missed the boat on some good players that would have retained and possibly increasing value. (Dumba and Vatanen especially)... I think he needed to get some picks like he did from the isles and to hang on to some good experienced players as well; a more balanced approach.

SENSational

Mar 26, 2004
Ottawa
So wait...what? McPhee didnt take the best possible offer from Ottawa because it wasnt his initial asking price?

These GMs are stuck in the past

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So wait...what? McPhee didnt take the best possible offer from Ottawa because it wasnt his initial asking price?

These GMs are stuck in the past

Nothing confirms this... Just they dealt Methot to Dallas and Ottawa was in the running. There was some noise earlier that they wanted more from Ottawa than they let him go to Dallas for but I haven't found a reliable quote on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad