Confirmed Trade: [VGK/CBJ] Jonathan Quick (50% retained) for Michael Hutchinson, 2025 7th round pick

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Good flip, bad return. I know Quick has not been very good but they got a warm body and a 7th WHILE retaining salary. The salary retained is worth much more than a 7th. Feels like Jarmo is just doing LVK a favor here.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Good flip, bad return. I know Quick has not been very good but they got a warm body and a 7th WHILE retaining salary. The salary retained is worth much more than a 7th. Feels like Jarmo is just doing LVK a favor here.
Please tell me what contender has the capacity to take on a full $5.8M in cap hit for a backup.

It was either pay Quick $600k and get nothing, or pay him $300k and get a pick too. (Or hope he’s so mad that he just wouldn’t report and you could terminate the contract.)

Reactions: Monk

BamBam1031

Aug 8, 2008
At this point it's like gold rims on a broken down Pinto. But he will always be an LA legend.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
So Jarmos deadline;

- scout trip over Europe
- talk about trading someone and leave it on queue for few days
- whine about Bruins bad ethics for taking a better deal
- take Quick as cap casualty
- immediately flip Quick to a Kings rival who they might play in the best-of-seven
- trollface

• Haha
Reactions: HabsQC

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hutch and a 7th? THAT is what he's worth?

That's a HUGE steal for Vvegas.

Quick was given away.

He's been disrespected A LOT recently I hope he has 1 more run.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Quick was given away.

Respect for Quick was the only thing that kept him from being sent to the minors this year, even Petersen was playing better than he was. It was a perfect storm of crap goaltending.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Respect for Quick was the only thing that kept him from being sent to the minors this year, even Petersen was playing better than he was. It was a perfect storm of crap goaltending.
Pretty much this. The Kings just never had anyone lined up for their main core. Losing Brown stung and our hitting went down but was manageable at wing, but when Quick fell with no one behind him that was LA's Achilles heel. The other shoe will drop when Kopitar and Doughty go if they don't have anyone that can step in for them...

Quick likely would have been the one waived and we would have been sporting Petersen/Copely if it wasn't for his name and status within the organization. Petersen has been playing decent to average in the AHL, but I have a feeling if Quick were actually sent down and for some reason reported he would not have played as well.

Reactions: Monk and fsanford

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
It's either retain and get a 7th or no trade for quick at all. There was gonna be no other offers

Quick was given away.

Since November 28th, he has played 15 games and had a sv% below .890 in 13 of the 15. One of the 2 other games was where he only played about 1 period in relief and stopped all 7 total shots and he only had 1 other good game where he stopped 23 out of 24 in that time span.

He was below .870 in 9 of those 15. Below .860 sv% in 7 of 15. That's about as done as it gets. He had a few good games in October and November but nothing since. His body can't hold up anymore.

Svs percentage by month
October .888
November .892
December .867
Jan .857
Feb .821.

A pattern. He's clearly toast. That's why you got him for that.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
fun fact....

AHL journeyman Copley has given up 71 goals in 1510 minutes of play.

Quick has given up 99 goals in 1698 minutes.

Essentially in the difference of 3 regulation games what amounts to a 28 goal differential with the same roster.

Wouldn't be shocked for Quick to come out focused and recharged out of the gates but his reaction time and agility or lack thereof was apparent all season long. Arizona scored 5 on him in his last W as a King.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Yeah, LA's goal differential was +3 last year as well, but it doesn't change the fact that he will be better protected behind a significantly better goal differential than he has seen in quite some time.

To say he isn't still dangerous whatsoever is shortsighted. You're saying that he played better under a +3 versus a 0 differential and his numbers have gone down this year; therefore, he sucks now. I'm saying that even if he sucks more this year than he did last year, he is going to a +24 on a much more competitive team, and given who he is as a person, I wouldn't laugh him off or count him out until the games are won.
His and ppetersons performance is why they have a bad goal differential. You realize the goalie letting in goals effects the differential right? What's their differential with copley?

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
His and ppetersons performance is why they have a bad goal differential. You realize the goalie letting in goals effects the differential right? What's their differential with copley?
Of course and not good. It still remains that he will have better defensive support in Vegas than he did in LA. Sure, he has regressed and could have played better, but he was left out to dry far more nights than not.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
I
Of course and not good. It still remains that he will have better defensive support in Vegas than he did in LA. Sure, he has regressed and could have played better, but he was left out to dry far more nights than not.
The numbers say otherwise. And Copley is playing behind the same defense.

Lets look at the stats.

For the year.

High Danger Scoring Shots on goal getting to net.
Kings 494
Knights 449,
Goals allowed 107 by the Kings, and 79 by Vegas, (this more of a goalie performance metric)
The proportion of shots allowed vs goals given up are largely disproportional. Both teams give up similar high scoring chances. The probability of scoring is high, and yet Vegas goalies do a better job of stopping it. 56 in 29 vs 51 in 33. for the Kings. And if you remove the Quick games it drops like 4 goals more.

Medium scoring areas
Kings allowed 508 Vegas 513 Kings 61 allowed Vegas 56 better than the high but again disproportional,.

If we look at BC (before Copley)
Kings gave up 104 goals in 29 games.
Since Copley call up they gave up 106 in 33 games

Goals scored and given up since Copley call up if we compare Knights and Kings during that time.
Knights have a + 6 goal differential and Kings +8
The Kings before Copley were a minus 8, the Knights plus 18
Kings 16 points up, Knights 12 points down since that time. Just a comparison again how there is no difference between teams.

Since the Copley call up Kings have given up 5 or more goals 9 times. Quick was in Net for 6 of them.

If Quick plays, and I don't think he will play much, he is going to have to figure some things out, cuz there is little to no difference when you look at the defensive underlying numbers.
Part of his problem is his puck control and just giving up a lot of rebounds. It puts his team in a bad spot

The 1 solid game he had against the Islanders was where he stayed in the blue and he did not go way out an challenge. That is where he gets in trouble cuz, god bless him, he cannot move like he used to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Telos

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I

The numbers say otherwise. And Copley is playing behind the same defense.

Lets look at the stats.

For the year.

High Danger Scoring Shots on goal getting to net.
Kings 494
Knights 449,
Goals allowed 107 by the Kings, and 79 by Vegas, (this more of a goalie performance metric)
The proportion of shots allowed vs goals given up are largely disproportional. Both teams give up similar high scoring chances. The probability of scoring is high, and yet Vegas goalies do a better job of stopping it. 56 in 29 vs 51 in 33. for the Kings. And if you remove the Quick games it drops like 4 goals more.

Medium scoring areas
Kings allowed 508 Vegas 513 Kings 61 allowed Vegas 56 better than the high but again disproportional,.

If we look at BC (before Copley)
Kings gave up 104 goals in 29 games.
Since Copley call up they gave up 106 in 33 games

Goals scored and given up since Copley call up if we compare Knights and Kings during that time.
Knights have a + 6 goal differential and Kings +8
The Kings before Copley were a minus 8, the Knights plus 18
Kings 16 points up, Knights 12 points down since that time. Just a comparison again how there is no difference between teams.

Since the Copley call up Kings have given up 5 or more goals 9 times. Quick was in Net for 6 of them.

If Quick plays, and I don't think he will play much, he is going to have to figure some things out, cuz there is little to no difference when you look at the defensive underlying numbers.
Part of his problem is his puck control and just giving up a lot of rebounds. It puts his team in a bad spot
Time will tell.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
The 1 solid game he had against the Islanders was where he stayed in the blue and he did not go way out an challenge. That is where he gets in trouble cuz, god bless him, he cannot move like he used to.

Note in that same game Kings held the Isles to 18 total shots the entire game.

Reactions: fsanford

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad