Confirmed Trade: [VGK/CBJ] Jonathan Quick (50% retained) for Michael Hutchinson, 2025 7th round pick

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Seems like risky deal, in the sense that is Quick now your presumptive starter come playoff time? If you don't think you're going to have Thompson/Brossoit available, i guess it's a non-issue. But if those guys are ready to rock, a guy like Quick with that kind of clout makes it difficult to sit him...even if it's for the currently better goaltender.

Obviously they wanted to shore things up and that's fair. But a high profile guy like Quick presents some different challenges, depending on how everything else shakes out.
Why is quick presumptive starter? I'd bet any money hill is still starter barring a miracle comeback for quick. They didn't pay a price for him. They just rather him back up hill than Hutchinson if broissoint and thompson aren't back.

Quick has had 1 game with a save percentage over .890 since November 28th other than a 7 shot relief appearance. There's no claim he has to net.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Why is quick presumptive starter? I'd bet any money hill is still starter barring a miracle comeback for quick. They didn't pay a price for him. They just rather him back up hill than Hutchinson if broissoint and thompson aren't back.

Quick has had 1 game with a save percentage over .890 since November 28th other than a 7 shot relief appearance. There's no claim he has to net.

That's what i think makes it potentially dangerous.

Hill obviously should be the starter on performance. But we all know that coaches and players alike, have a tendency to "overvalue" that veteran experience and guys who have "been there, done that" over actual performance in a lot of cases. Especially when it comes to the playoffs. That's where Quick's reputation and clout could represent a liability if his clout leads to crowning him the presumptive starter come playoff time, because of what he's done in the past...rather than what he's capable of right now.

His performance has obviously fallen off badly...but he still has his reputation as "Playoff Quick". That's the dangerous aspect.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
Broissoit got injured again after those 4 games and is now on injured reserve. He was placed on injured reserve 2 days ago

Guess I missed the news. OK, I see it, with Thompson still out, and now Broissoit still out, they are down to just Aiden Hill, and Quick might be a cheap bandaid for a few games until either Thompson or Broissoit can come back. And, hey, who knows? Sometimes these old guys who were dragging somewhere else can find a brief spark on a new team.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Guess I missed the news. OK, I see it, with Thompson still out, and now Broissoit still out, they are down to just Aiden Hill, and Quick might be a cheap bandaid for a few games until either Thompson or Broissoit can come back. And, hey, who knows? Sometimes these old guys who were dragging somewhere else can find a brief spark on a new team.

Thats what a lot of Kings fans are worried about. Your defense is better and don't give up all the grade A slot shots the Kings do on a nightly basis. We gave up a bunch more tonight to another bad team. Would not surprise me one bit if he does well.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
This one kind of confused me. Obviously CBJ just took Quick for cap purposes in the Gavrikov trade, but then flipping him at 50% for a 7th just seems like doing Vegas a favor. I know Quick is washed, but if Vegas wanted him for injury insurance, surely CBJ could have held out for a 4th or 5th? Vegas’ 7th is going to be like 6 from last in the draft.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
This one kind of confused me. Obviously CBJ just took Quick for cap purposes in the Gavrikov trade, but then flipping him at 50% for a 7th just seems like doing Vegas a favor. I know Quick is washed, but if Vegas wanted him for injury insurance, surely CBJ could have held out for a 4th or 5th? Vegas’ 7th is going to be like 6 from last in the draft.
That's the funny thing. The kings didn't need to trade quick for space
They have over 6 mil of deadline cap space and quicks contract was 5.8 mil

There has to be another move coming

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Quick very well could look great again playing behind that solid Knights blueline. Give him a 10 game trial until the end of the season and if he's really good, I'd start him in the playoffs.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Quick very well could look great again playing behind that solid Knights blueline. Give him a 10 game trial until the end of the season and if he's really good, I'd start him in the playoffs.
If that is the case, then Pheonix Copely is the greatest goalie of this generation because he put up exponentially better numbers behind the exact same defense

Reactions: mysterman2

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If that is the case, then Pheonix Copely is the greatest goalie of this generation because he put up exponentially better numbers behind the exact same defense
I wouldn't say exponentially better. Has he been better? Yes, but he hasn't been a world beater either. There are some of his performances that leave me scratching my head wondering how the Kings came out with a win.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I understand the need, but i wouldn't have chosen Quick as the insurance goalie.

I just have to hope that the Knights defense is able to properly shelter him.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I wouldn't say exponentially better. Has he been better? Yes, but he hasn't been a world beater either. There are some of his performances that leave me scratching my head wondering how the Kings came out with a win.
The stats tell the story

Pheonix wins 70.3% of his starts
JQ won in 40.7% of his starts

Before Quick was dealt there were no changes to the team aside from guys like Spence, JAD, etc going up and down to Ontario.

1677860330855.png

1677860355858.png

amd I agree , he is not a world beater. He is average at best and it shows how truly bad JQ has been this year with the EXACT same team in front of them both

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal

Yeah....but those were far better and more consistent then Quicks performances that came out with a loss. Copley now 19-4-2 in 28 games. Quick was 11-13 in 31 games. Indicates Kings team is better than the GAA suggest and huge part of the struggles were due to subpar goaltending. Just having an average goalie was enough to right the ship and has the Kings in position to potentially win the Pacific.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
What were we supposed to do, hold on to quick who wasn't gonna play here and pay 100%? Sure we could've held out, but what if Vegas makes another move and now they don't need a goalie and we're stuck paying someone who won't report. We got a servicable backup for the tank and a late pick.

We just got a 1st from Gavrikov (6th round pick) not saying that's what will happen from this 7th but... Crazier shit has happened.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The stats tell the story

Pheonix wins 70.3% of his starts
JQ won in 40.7% of his starts

Before Quick was dealt there were no changes to the team aside from guys like Spence, JAD, etc going up and down to Ontario.

View attachment 662089

View attachment 662090

amd I agree , he is not a world beater. He is average at best and it shows how truly bad JQ has been this year with the EXACT same team in front of them both

there were plenty of games where I wondered if the same team was playing in front of him. Doughty of all people passing it up the middle to no one, its picked off and in our net. Then everyone scream BAD GOAL by Quick!

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

I hope they do, the chances of the Kings winning the division would go up exponentially.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
there were plenty of games where I wondered if the same team was playing in front of him. Doughty of all people passing it up the middle to no one, its picked off and in our net. Then everyone scream BAD GOAL by Quick!

It seemed like that, absolutely, but that's not what the numbers say.

At 5v5, Quick and Copley have about the same HD chance save %. Quick has faced more high danger chances, but he's played a few more games and it's not a huge difference. Overall their expected goals against is almost identical, Quick's is a little lower.

The big difference is that Copley's goals saved above average is 6.13, while Quick's is -7.02. High danger chances above average are similar. That's why Copley's GAA is .65 better than Quick behind the same defense that according to the numbers, plays almost the same exact way.

I thought the same, it ALWAYS looked like they were hanging Quick out to dry more. In reality, it was probably my way of justifying his drop off and explaining a level of play I've never experienced with Quick before.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00