Confirmed Trade: [VGK/CBJ] Jonathan Quick (50% retained) for Michael Hutchinson, 2025 7th round pick

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
A contender would be the only buyer. Not many bottom-feeders or tanking teams are going to be looking for a rental goaltender at the deadline, espcially during the Bedard sweepstakes.
There is a significant difference sending to Buffalo instead of Vegas however. Youre right though in not a lot of teams looking to add a goaltender right now.

Reactions: Telos

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Kings fans in here worried because "Martin Jones!!!".

Martin Jones was 25 years old when he was traded and had (at that point) a 1.99 GAA and a .923 sv% with 7 shutouts in 29 games.

Quick is 37 years old and currently has a 3.50 GAA and an .876 sv% and has had 7 shutouts in the past 5 years.

"Playoff Quick" isn't a thing when his athleticism is shot. If Vegas is counting on him to play 20+ games in the playoffs...they're gonna play about 5.
Easy to say when he is behind Edler-Walker on a team with a minus differential. What he does when behind Martinez-Pietrangelo on a +24 differential team may prove different results, who knows.

Mar 26, 2010
Toronto should have been all over this. They need goaltending desperately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Kodz88

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Easy to say when he is behind Edler-Walker on a team with a minus differential. What he does when behind Martinez-Pietrangelo on a +24 differential team may prove different results, who knows.
You're aware that he had both of those guys on the Kings last year when his numbers were MUCH better right?

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
You're aware that he had both of those guys on the Kings last year when his numbers were MUCH better right?
Yeah, LA's goal differential was +3 last year as well, but it doesn't change the fact that he will be better protected behind a significantly better goal differential than he has seen in quite some time.

To say he isn't still dangerous whatsoever is shortsighted. You're saying that he played better under a +3 versus a 0 differential and his numbers have gone down this year; therefore, he sucks now. I'm saying that even if he sucks more this year than he did last year, he is going to a +24 on a much more competitive team, and given who he is as a person, I wouldn't laugh him off or count him out until the games are won.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
He has a chance to share the ice in the playoffs with his old teammates as they eliminate his new team.

In all seriousness, if the VGK need to play Quick in the playoffs, they aren't winning any games.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Why does CBJ do this and retain?
Because they don't need that cap space, they gain a pick and get rid of disgruntled Quick.

Columbus paying $290k ($303k if you include the day on the roster) in salary to Quick for a 2025 7th round pick.
What a weird way to twist it when in actuality they save 300k and get a 7th rounder for it instead of being stuck with a cap dump on full price.

Reactions: jetsforever

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I mean, LAK had to have known this was a distinct possibility? I don't think they're too caught off guard or hot and bothered by it.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Yeah, LA's goal differential was +3 last year as well, but it doesn't change the fact that he will be better protected behind a significantly better goal differential than he has seen in quite some time.

To say he isn't still dangerous whatsoever is shortsighted. You're saying that he played better under a +3 versus a 0 differential and his numbers have gone down this year; therefore, he sucks now. I'm saying that even if he sucks more this year than he did last year, he is going to a +24 on a much more competitive team, and given who he is as a person, I wouldn't laugh him off or count him out until the games are won.
I'm as competitive a person as there is. That doesn't mean I'd be a good NHL player because I hate losing and do well under pressure at my job. Quick's athletic ability is what made him a great goalie. Not his competitive "fire" or whatever you want to call it. He can't get post to post as fast as before...no matter how much he really really wants to. The body doesn't give a crap about how "badly" you want to save a puck.

Again, if Vegas is counting on him to win a single series, let alone four...well good luck. They got Quick because they needed an NHL goalie to play backup since their others are on IR now.

Reactions: SFKingshomer

Crosstraffic

Mar 15, 2015
Yorba Linda, CA
You can flash back to 1968, Terry Sawchuk had an awful season 10-17-5 with an .891 save. Oh but wait until the playoffs, he will get his playoff form, people would say... He went 2-2 with an .871 save as the North Stars pulled the upset.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Jarmo flips Quick for extra draft pick
sending him to Vegas
Quick might not have a good season but he been super good in the past playoffs.
LA fans don’t want to see him in the nets for the Golden Knights if they meet playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad