Vegas asked for Wilson and Grubauer in exchange for Schmidt

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Most of the difference is Lucic got PP time while Wilson plays PK. That obviously boost the point numbers for one player. Wilson is almost getting as many penalties called for him as against and a lot of the penaltyminutes on Wilson are for fighting where no teams get an advantage.

And with a lot more PP time.

Never had more than 14 points on the PP until 16/17 with the Oilers. Still scored 50+ at even strength.

Wilson <> Lucic. Sorry.

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
Never had more than 14 points on the PP until 16/17 with the Oilers. Still scored 50+ at even strength.

Wilson <> Lucic. Sorry.

Certainly not now. Wilson has clearly been the better player for the last 3 seasons. And a better contract as well.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Most of the difference is Lucic got PP time while Wilson plays PK. That obviously boost the point numbers for one player. Wilson is almost getting as many penalties called for him as against and a lot of the penaltyminutes on Wilson are for fighting where no teams get an advantage.

Even strength points per game:

Wilson
Career: 0.25

Lucic
0.31 (BOS)
0.44 (LA)
0.30 (EDM)
Career: 0.47

Reactions: kladorf2005

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Even strength points per game:

Wilson
Career: 0.25

Lucic
0.31 (BOS)
0.44 (LA)
0.30 (EDM)
Career: 0.47

What’s was the ice time and points per 60 out of curiosity? Good find

Lucic was great In Boston. Loved his game

Wilson mostly has played with 4th liners up until this year and sporadic deployment before

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Certainly not now. Wilson has clearly been the better player for the last 3 seasons. And a better contract as well.

Only in your world are point totals of 23, 19, 35 greater than 55, 50, 34.

I'll give you better player today. But not past 3 seasons. And not comparable to Lucic in his prime, which is what another poster was trying to compare him to and how this whole conversation started.

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004

I'll give you better player today. But not past 3 seasons. And not comparable to Lucic in his prime, which is what another poster was trying to compare him to and how this whole conversation started.
Point totals are not everything.

Point taken on 2nd paragraph.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Deployment, line mates and TOI matter. Just ask William Karlsson

Reactions: third man in

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Caps where also supposedly going for him at the deadline. So both of the teams in the finals wanted him.

Karlsson had Vegas on his list and appearently were offering everything they gave for Tatar as well as a high-end prospect (one of Glass/Suzuki/Brannstrom).

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
If I was Washington: NOOO.

Wilson is a crucial element to that team, and a rare player.

Grubauer is an excellent backup.

Schmidt is very good, but no way in HELL I give up those two pieces for him.

Reactions: Foppberg

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
If I was Washington: NOOO.

Wilson is a crucial element to that team, and a rare player.

Grubauer is an excellent backup.

Schmidt is very good, but no way in HELL I give up those two pieces for him.

right place right time.

schimdt is right where he needs to be. this wouldve been bad for both teams.

Reactions: Scotty Pucks

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Point totals are not everything.

Point taken on 2nd paragraph.

Point totals aren’t everything. However, here we’re talking about two players with similar styles of being big physical power forwards. Scoring is the #1 biggest differentiator between their on ice contributions.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Hard to take Schmidt over either Burakovsky or Wilson especially after this game where Burakovsky created 2 goals

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Hard to take Schmidt over either Burakovsky or Wilson especially after this game where Burakovsky created 2 goals

It all depends on need. For the Caps the Wilson-Grubauer duo was the right choice. For Vegas Schmidt has been awesome and they wouldnt do the trade now.
The Caps would still be a playoff team, but would have placed much lower and they wouldnt have been able to let Holtby take time off and find his game and save energy for the playoffs. While Wilson is a really good fit on the 1st line.

Reactions: Pia8988

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
If Washington had gone 4F/4D then Vegas could have selected one of the other unprotected forwards over Wilson. Those options likely being Marcus Johansson or Andre Burakovsky. Both of whom were probably more highly valued then Wilson at the time of the expansion draft.

I disagreed with the Caps protected list at the time, thinking that both Bura and MaJo were replaceable low impact players, and losing one of them while protecting Schmidt was the right move. They traded MaJo a month or so later. The Caps had/have several players in the wings who are similar skilled forwards like Bura and MaJo, but no one who had clear top pair potential like Schmidt. Eller was coming off a disappointing first season with the Caps so lowe risk there.

Shoulda protected Ovi, Kuzy, Backie and Wilson, Carslon, Nisky, Orlov and Schmidt. Anyone else would have been much more easily replaceable.

The Caps would be better off having kept Schmidt protected, losing one of Bura or MaJo, but thats all ancient history. And that is with Bura showing some flash in his last few games - he was invisible all year otherwise and people were screaming for him to be benched within a game of his return to the playoffs. His last three games are the best playoff games of his career by far. His previous others were garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad