Vegas asked for Wilson and Grubauer in exchange for Schmidt

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Wilson is a perfect blend of size, strength, and speed. Most players only have one or two of those qualities, if Reaves had his speed we're looking at a lot more devastating hits. If Chara has that speed we're looking at way more injuries. The fact is that these guys are lumbering around the ice and easy to spot a mile away. Wilson is a rocket.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The proposal makes McPhee sound like a bozo. If MacLellan had protected Schmidt by going with 4F/4D, McPhee would've been able to choose one of Wilson/Grubauer from the unprotected list. There was no reason for MacLellan even to consider agreeing.

If Washington had gone 4F/4D then Vegas could have selected one of the other unprotected forwards over Wilson. Those options likely being Marcus Johansson or Andre Burakovsky. Both of whom were probably more highly valued then Wilson at the time of the expansion draft.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
If Washington had gone 4F/4D then Vegas could have selected one of the other unprotected forwards over Wilson. Those options likely being Marcus Johansson or Andre Burakovsky. Both of whom were probably more highly valued then Wilson at the time of the expansion draft.
Honestly I would've preferred them taking Johansson over anyone else. I would be worried about losing Wilson or Eller if they did 4-4

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Coy? Tom Wilson is 6-4. When he runs over a 6-1 player a full body hit will get head. He also has trucked guys that they hit their head on the ice.

But please, can you provide me of some list of players injured by Wilson compared to other players in the league?

See I don't remember when Kadri hits and hurts because I don't pay attention. With some people there is a neon sign that lights up. WILSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're the one making the claim that Wilson does not stand out among his peers in this regard. I posted a list of 4 players (Dumoulin - concussion, Wennberg - concussion, Aston-Reese - Concussion + Broken Jaw, Marchessault). 3 of the 4 players had brain injuries resulting from contact to the head from Wilson.

Here is my list of players Wilson has hurt in 3 series + 1 game... Now if you are making a claim that there are other players who have injured their opponents at such a frequency then go right ahead and post that. I have not found any evidence of anyone even coming close. You have the burden of proof here if you're making such a claim.

There are other 6'3''+ players who don't consistently cause their opponents to have concussions. Ovechkin is 6'3'' with speed and mass and he doesn't consistently concuss people. Byfuglien is nothing short of a freight train, and you don't see him concussing 3 guys in 2 series.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
You're the one making the claim that Wilson does not stand out among his peers in this regard. I posted a list of 4 players (Dumoulin - concussion, Wennberg - concussion, Aston-Reese - Concussion + Broken Jaw, Marchessault). 3 of the 4 players had brain injuries resulting from contact to the head from Wilson.

Here is my list of players Wilson has hurt in 3 series + 1 game... Now if you are making a claim that there are other players who have injured their opponents at such a frequency then go right ahead and post that. I have not found any evidence of anyone even coming close. You have the burden of proof here if you're making such a claim.

There are other 6'3''+ players who don't consistently cause their opponents to have concussions. Ovechkin is 6'3'' with speed and mass and he doesn't consistently concuss people. Byfuglien is nothing short of a freight train, and you don't see him concussing 3 guys in 2 series.
Dumoulin played the next game. You sure he was concussed?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Dumoulin played the next game. You sure he was concussed?
The team's #1 shut-down defensemen missed more than half of the game, 10 minutes + a full intermission that he could have had to rest and come back if he wasn't hurt.

He was also wearing a non-contact jersey in practice the next day and still wasn't cleared through concussion protocol. I don't think he did that for fun.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
1. The jaw breaking hit was a subject of quite a debate. Didn't seem at all an obvious case.
2. Wilson laughed as a response to something said to him by a teammate on the bench. Very likely it had nothing to do with the injury.
3. Seriously? You don't know how many guys Ov has concussed, hospitalized and so forth? You didn't know he has been suspended? In almost every case they were attempted clean hits that went bad. Like Ovechkin, you will never see Wilson use his stick or his elbow. Brad Marchand is dirty. Wilson is big and young and hits a lot.
4. Sure you want it on your team. Getting suspended is the main negative. As he gets older his experience will keep him from making bad decisions. Ov did the same thing.

I am new to hockey, so yes I don't know Ovi's history yet. I'm always eager to learn though! I don't mind the hits, but I'm not at all a fan of guys getting seriously injured/concussed.

And conversely the Caps are happy to have kept Wilson. Looks like it worked out for both teams.

Indeed. This seems to be the case.

Hi, this is hockey, all of the things you are saying are negatives about him parts of hockey. Listen to any veteran talk and having players terrified of you hitting them while you're on the ice is not goonery, it's called being a good hockey player.

Like I said, I'm new to hockey, but I haven't seen to many guys cause the number of injuries Wilson has in the post-season.

And this is a negative against his team how exactly?

If all that matters is what advantage he gives his team, and that is the only metric, then good on him unless he gets suspended I guess. I'm just not a fan of the injuries he is causing.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Didn't Grubuar basically save there asses at the back end of the season, too? Schmidt in my mind after this last year holds way more value than Wilson. If they still had Schmidt it wouldn't be as bad if Carlson were to leave through FA.

Yeah, without Grubauer even if they make the playoffs as an 8 seed Holtby is run into the ground and no way they make it this far, unless they somehow got a Condon 1B level backup to replace him which would have been unlikely.

Also Wilson has had a Lucic-like top line impact for the caps, who knows what he'd be if he got the Vegas bump, maybe a 55 point human wrecking ball. It's highly unlikely Schmidt is this good if he's anywhere but Vegas this year.

All they'd have had to do was protect 4-4-1 and the best Vegas could have taken was Burakovsky. But the caps are deepest at defense prospect wise and had Djoos, Johansen, Bowey, Siegelthaer, Hobbs coming up. Also Kempny largely replaced what Schmidt brought and also has a welcome mean streak. All that considered losing Schmidt wasn't that bad.

Last edited:

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Lol yeah alright, Wilson for Schmidt? Are they sure they don't want an Ovechkin with that? Chancers

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Like I said, I'm new to hockey, but I haven't seen to many guys cause the number of injuries Wilson has in the post-season.

If all that matters is what advantage he gives his team, and that is the only metric, then good on him unless he gets suspended I guess. I'm just not a fan of the injuries he is causing.

There's not a lot of guys his size hitting as relentlessly as he does.

If he wanted to injure Marchessault he could have easily hit him in the head, taken a leg out, done literally anything other than what he did and Marchessault would be out for the series. When a small guy is spaced out and admiring his pass gets hit by a guy like Tom Wilson and lives to tell about it there's no attempt to injure there.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
He' a slightly less skilled Lucic when Lucic was actually good in Boston

Lucic has never had more than 136 PIM's in 11 seasons. Wilson has never had fewer than 133 PIM's in 5 seasons.
Wilson set a career high w/ 35 points this year. Lucic scored 30 goals in his 4th season
Lucic is a career 0.6 PPG in the playoffs. Wilson is a career 0.3 PPG in the playoffs

We might have different definitions of the word "slightly"

What exactly are the "negatives" that outweigh a 35pt player who also opens up space for the players around him?

Is 35 points a lot, all of a sudden? Why do people keep bringing that up as an argument. It's hardly worth having to kill off 5-minute majors and having to play the rest of a game with 11 forwards.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Lucic has never had more than 136 PIM's in 11 seasons. Wilson has never had fewer than 133 PIM's in 5 seasons.
Wilson set a career high w/ 35 points this year. Lucic scored 30 goals in his 4th season
Lucic is a career 0.6 PPG in the playoffs. Wilson is a career 0.3 PPG in the playoffs

We might have different definitions of the word "slightly"

Is 35 points a lot, all of a sudden? Why do people keep bringing that up as an argument. It's hardly worth having to kill off 5-minute majors and having to play the rest of a game with 11 forwards.

Bringing up career points when Wilson took his game to a new level is pointless.

35pts with everything else he brings to the table is absolutely worth having to kill off a 5min major like twice a year.

Reactions: third man in

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
He didn't break ZAR's jaw on a board, it was two guys voluntarily going shoulder to shoulder.

Yep. Jaws break all the time when shoulders slam into each other. Excellent point by you.

All of this is like complaining about Tiger Woods blowing it by everyone when he came on tour. They started trying to lengthen golf courses to stop him. With Wilson they try to call him for penalties that other players would get away with. Sad.

Did you just compare Tom Wilson to Tiger Woods? :huh:

You are on fire!

Reactions: ChanceVegas

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Bringing up career points when Wilson took his game to a new level is pointless.

35pts with everything else he brings to the table is absolutely worth having to kill off a 5min major like twice a year.

If taking your game to a new level = 35pts, then no, you cannot be compared with Lucic. Lucic had 62 points in his 4th season. And has broken 50, 5 times. And does it with a lot less PIM's

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If taking your game to a new level = 35pts, then no, you cannot be compared with Lucic. Lucic had 62 points in his 4th season. And has broken 50, 5 times. And does it with a lot less PIM's

Which is why I said slightly less talented. He doesn't get the ice time Lucic did and does other things better as well.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Which is why I said slightly less talented. He doesn't get the ice time Lucic did and does other things better as well.

Again, different definitions of the word "slightly". He probably gets less ice time because he's spending all of his time in the box :laugh:

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Again, different definitions of the word "slightly". He probably gets less ice time because he's spending all of his time in the box :laugh:

Most of the difference is Lucic got PP time while Wilson plays PK. That obviously boost the point numbers for one player. Wilson is almost getting as many penalties called for him as against and a lot of the penaltyminutes on Wilson are for fighting where no teams get an advantage.

Reactions: mrv52

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
This adds context to why Vegas went out and got Reaves, in my opinion. They must've really wanted a grinder who can make bit hits and change momentum of games.

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
And with a lot more PP time.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
George McPhee isn't so bad at trades after all. This shows the Forsberg trade was a bit of a fluke, but Schmidt has been a very effective player for Vegas this season.

I mean what's even more heartbreaking about Vegas winning the cup is Erik Karlsson almost got traded there. Add that on top of his awful season and bad year, that will just make it worse. I really hope it all gets better for him.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
George McPhee isn't so bad at trades after all. This shows the Forsberg trade was a bit of a fluke, but Schmidt has been a very effective player for Vegas this season.

I mean what's even more heartbreaking about Vegas winning the cup is Erik Karlsson almost got traded there. Add that on top of his awful season and bad year, that will just make it worse. I really hope it all gets better for him.

Caps where also supposedly going for him at the deadline. So both of the teams in the finals wanted him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad