Vegas asked for Wilson and Grubauer in exchange for Schmidt

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I get people not liking Wilson's style of play, but you have to be straight ignorant to not be able to admit the tremendous value he brings and how he opens up the ice for his linemates. That he's quickly turning into a staple on Ovechkin's line is meaningful, that's a line that has seen tremendous talent just cycled through because it failed to click, yet something Wilson brings helps Ovechkin and Kuznetsov produce.

I loved Schmidt, I was bummed that he left but our team never used him right, there's no guarantee he has the same season he's having if he's in DC. Look at Kempny, improperly utilized in Chicago, having a career year in DC.

The Caps would have penciled Schmidt into their second pairing, who knows how much more they would have bungled up. Part of the success of the Caps is they felt they had to look for talent in unconventional places and that's why we saw guys like Djoos, Stephenson, etc. be so important. If we start sliding back into last years roster and plugging guys back in I'm not certain we see the same results.

Reactions: g00n

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I get people not liking Wilson's style of play, but you have to be straight ignorant to not be able to admit the tremendous value he brings and how he opens up the ice for his linemates. That he's quickly turning into a staple on Ovechkin's line is meaningful, that's a line that has seen tremendous talent just cycled through because it failed to click, yet something Wilson brings helps Ovechkin and Kuznetsov produce.

I loved Schmidt, I was bummed that he left but our team never used him right, there's no guarantee he has the same season he's having if he's in DC. Look at Kempny, improperly utilized in Chicago, having a career year in DC.

The Caps would have penciled Schmidt into their second pairing, who knows how much more they would have bungled up. Part of the success of the Caps is they felt they had to look for talent in unconventional places and that's why we saw guys like Djoos, Stephenson, etc. be so important. If we start sliding back into last years roster and plugging guys back in I'm not certain we see the same results.

Ignorance is bliss as they say. Good for Caps that he works on your team I guess. It doesn't change that Wilson is a goon. Yes, he may be able to play hockey too, but the negatives far outweigh the positives for me. I wasn't really happy getting Reaves for similar reasons, and absolutely hated that first game he played for us against LAK when he was trying to be a human wrecking ball. But as much as Reaves looks to hit, he isn't out there trying to end careers and laughing about it. He isn't putting guys in the hospital.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ignorance is bliss as they say. Good for Caps that he works on your team I guess. It doesn't change that Wilson is a goon. Yes, he may be able to play hockey too, but the negatives far outweigh the positives for me. I wasn't really happy getting Reaves for similar reasons, and absolutely hated that first game he played for us against LAK when he was trying to be a human wrecking ball. But as much as Reaves looks to hit, he isn't out there trying to end careers and laughing about it. He isn't putting guys in the hospital.

Everyone thinks their own shit don't stink.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is an interesting trade idea. Having Nate Schmidt instead of Kempny would probably help the Caps a lot in this series. But Wilson is definitely impactful, and who knows where they'd have been without Grubauer?

Autocorrect on an iPhone is not NEARLY as uncommon as not knowing a player’s first name. And posting about it. Sorry to burst your bubble since you really tried hard regurgitate my joke didn’t you? Sigh :D

It's perfectly fine for you to sarcastically point out someone else's mistake, but heaven forbid someone does the same to you! Have a thicker skin, or alternatively, don't do to others things that apparently touch a nerve for you.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

In no way to the negative of Wilson outweigh the positives, not even close. Wilson can actually score and cycle while also terrifying other teams players. He's far from just a goon. He' a slightly less skilled Lucic when Lucic was actually good in Boston.

Also your comparison to Reaves doesn't hold up. Wilson has the same number of points these playoffs as Reaves career high in the regular season...

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
In no way to the negative of Wilson outweigh the positives, not even close. Wilson can actually score and cycle while also terrifying other teams players. He's far from just a goon. He' a slightly less skilled Lucic when Lucic was actually good in Boston.

Also your comparison to Reaves doesn't hold up. Wilson has the same number of points these playoffs as Reaves career high in the regular season...

A skilled goon yes, but a goon none the less. And let's not say he terrifies players with his skill. He terrifies players with his goonery. I guess if that is important to you, then I can see why you think Wilson's positives outweigh his negatives. I disagree with that, but that's just me.

I just brought up Reaves because he is seen as a goon too. I wasn't saying Reaves is as skilled as Wilson.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's awesome when you don't have a cap in your first year to deal with!!

Kempny, and his price, is just fine for what Schmidt is and will be getting paid.

Kempny was a good get and a good fit for a 3rd. It shouldn't be lost though that he is a even strength only player where Schmidt is all situations. Of course Schmidt would no more be a power play member than Orlov his because he shoots left and he is small for the PK and Orpik would still be getting his minutes

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
In this case, the caps would've been able to keep Johansson for another season, right? They dumped him after july 1 to be compliant with the cap.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Goon=fighter. Wilson his a nearly all situations player that also fights. He is 2nd on the Caps in playoff even strength points per game. He produces and also protects. He is first pk unit as well as first line. How many goons are selected to play the final 30 seconds protecting a one goal lead like Wilson is?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
A skilled goon yes, but a goon none the less. And let's not say he terrifies players with his skill. He terrifies players with his goonery. I guess if that is important to you, then I can see why you think Wilson's positives outweigh his negatives. I disagree with that, but that's just me.

I just brought up Reaves because he is seen as a goon too. I wasn't saying Reaves is as skilled as Wilson.

Of course he doesn't scare with his skill, but only people who haven't played contact hockey would say seeing a guy like Wilson who will crush you and then score wouldn't worry them.

What exactly are the "negatives" that outweigh a 35pt player who also opens up space for the players around him?

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
What exactly are the "negatives" that outweigh a 35pt player who also opens up space for the players around him?

Probably ask ZAR that one. As a fan, I hate seeing that. And as I fan, I worry his goonery is gonna end the season for one of the Knight's players in this series. That is the negative that pretty much outweighs any good he does.

I know... I'm soft, don't understand hockey, etc.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Probably ask ZAR that one. As a fan, I hate seeing that. And as I fan, I worry his goonery is gonna end the season for one of the Knight's players in this series. That is the negative that pretty much outweighs any good he does.

I know... I'm soft, don't understand hockey, etc.

So there's no actual negatives to having him on your team when it comes to on ice play. Gotcha.

Reactions: third man in

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Nah. He terrifies defensemen because he is fast, makes the correct read almost every time and hits like a dump truck. That is not goonery. Unless you would also call Ovechkin a goon. Is that important? Sure, it creates defensemen moving pucks before they should. That creates mistakes and turnovers. You don't think turnovers are important?

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Nah. He terrifies defensemen because he is fast, makes the correct read almost every time and hits like a dump truck. That is not goonery. Unless you would also call Ovechkin a goon. Is that important? Sure, it creates defensemen moving pucks before they should. That creates mistakes and turnovers. You don't think turnovers are important?

Breaking a guy's jaw on a boarding isn't goonery? Then laughing about it? If his intention is not to injure, he needs to learn how to hit so that he does not injure. Seems like nearly every other player in the NHL has that one figured out. I don't think Ovi has put guys in the hospital with his hits nor been suspended for them, has he?

Those are not negatives for the Capitals

That's fine if you feel that way (though I disagree if the result is he gets suspended for it). I'm not trying to change your mind. I just don't want it on my team, which was the original intent of my post to begin with.

Which is why I am glad we have Schmidt and not Wilson.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Breaking a guy's jaw on a boarding isn't goonery? Then laughing about it? If his intention is not to injure, he needs to learn how to hit so that he does not injure. Seems like nearly every other player in the NHL has that one figured out. I don't think Ovi has put guys in the hospital with his hits nor been suspended for them, has he?

That's fine if you feel that way (though I disagree if the result is he gets suspended for it). I'm not trying to change your mind. I just don't want it on my team, which was the original intent of my post to begin with.

Which is why I am glad we have Schmidt and not Wilson.

He didn't break ZAR's jaw on a board, it was two guys voluntarily going shoulder to shoulder.

He doesn't hurt people because he doesn't know how to hit. He and the DOPS have gone over it many times. He f***s people up because he's bigger and stronger than they are, and he hits harder than anyone in the league because of it.

All of this is like complaining about Tiger Woods blowing it by everyone when he came on tour. They started trying to lengthen golf courses to stop him. With Wilson they try to call him for penalties that other players would get away with. Sad.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The Knights aren’t the Knights without Schmidt. He’s a part of the room that’s indispensable.

People say this was an unreasonable ask, I agree, but I think it’s unreasonable on the other end.

Nate Schmidt is the Knights.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad