Vegas asked for Wilson and Grubauer in exchange for Schmidt

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
He didn't break ZAR's jaw on a board, it was two guys voluntarily going shoulder to shoulder.

He doesn't hurt people because he doesn't know how to hit. He and the DOPS have gone over it many times. He ****s people up because he's bigger and stronger than they are, and he hits harder than anyone in the league because of it.

All of this is like complaining about Tiger Woods blowing it by everyone when he came on tour. They started trying to lengthen golf courses to stop him. With Wilson they try to call him for penalties that other players would get away with. Sad.
Yet somehow other players 6'4'' and taller can lay big hits without consistently injuring their opponents......... Wilson is big, and he's strong, but lets stop acting like he's the biggest and strongest player on the ice every night by a country mile. Big Buff is an absolute TANK and he's not out there taking out opponents left and right.

I can't really think of anyone in the league right now that has as consistent a track record of injuring opponents in such a short span of time.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Breaking a guy's jaw on a boarding isn't goonery? Then laughing about it? If his intention is not to injure, he needs to learn how to hit so that he does not injure. Seems like nearly every other player in the NHL has that one figured out. I don't think Ovi has put guys in the hospital with his hits nor been suspended for them, has he?

That's fine if you feel that way (though I disagree if the result is he gets suspended for it). I'm not trying to change your mind. I just don't want it on my team, which was the original intent of my post to begin with.

Which is why I am glad we have Schmidt and not Wilson.

1. The jaw breaking hit was a subject of quite a debate. Didn't seem at all an obvious case.
2. Wilson laughed as a response to something said to him by a teammate on the bench. Very likely it had nothing to do with the injury.
3. Seriously? You don't know how many guys Ov has concussed, hospitalized and so forth? You didn't know he has been suspended? In almost every case they were attempted clean hits that went bad. Like Ovechkin, you will never see Wilson use his stick or his elbow. Brad Marchand is dirty. Wilson is big and young and hits a lot.
4. Sure you want it on your team. Getting suspended is the main negative. As he gets older his experience will keep him from making bad decisions. Ov did the same thing.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yet somehow other players 6'4'' and taller can lay big hits without consistently injuring their opponents......... Wilson is big, and he's strong, but lets stop acting like he's the biggest and strongest player on the ice every night by a country mile.

He's also fast and knows how to apply leverage. It's the same way some 5'11" golfer can out drive a taller stronger guy on the golf course. He's a hitter.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
He's also fast and knows how to apply leverage. It's the same way some 5'11" golfer can out drive a taller stronger guy on the golf course. He's a hitter.
Stop with the golf analogies he's not hitting a golf ball, he's hitting his opponents in their heads. Other players Wilson's size hit as often, or more often, than Wilson without consistently injuring their opponents.

Check my edit... Big Buff is an absolute monster, and he isn't consistently injuring people...

Reactions: kladorf2005

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Stop with the golf analogies he's not hitting a golf ball, he's hitting his opponents in their heads. Other players Wilson's size hit as often, or more often, than Wilson without consistently injuring their opponents.

Check my edit... Big Buff is an absolute monster, and he isn't consistently injuring people...

I'll use any analogy I please. Technique is real, bud.

I think you're a victim of perception and statistics. Wilson hits a lot. That means he's going to have more injuries than other guys who don't hit as much. Would you like to post some stats that prove he injures more players per hit than everyone else? Let's see some proof.

Also show that they're from illegal hits, not just accidents or sheer power. Show your work.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I really hope you are not serious here. You should see the stats page to compare how many NHL players hit at something like the same rate that Wilson does. Its a small number. The number of players in the league as big as Wilson is also small. Cross reference the two catagories and the number is.....

And Buff. He has been suspended. He has no fewer than 112pim's in each of the past 4 seasons including this season in only 69 games. Over that past 4 seasons Wilson leads the league in PIMs and Buff is 4th. Wilson has 43 majors, mostly fighting, in that time and Buff 8. So, Buff actually has more minor penalties in that time than Wilson
Wilson has been suspended twice and fined once. Buff has been suspended once and fined twice.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I really hope you are not serious here. You should see the stats page to compare how many NHL players hit at something like the same rate that Wilson does. Its a small number. The number of players in the league as big as Wilson is also small. Cross reference the two catagories and the number is.....

And Buff. He has been suspended. He has no fewer than 112pim's in each of the past 4 seasons including this season in only 69 games. Over that past 4 seasons Wilson leads the league in PIMs and Buff is 4th. Wilson has 43 majors, mostly fighting, in that time and Buff 8.
Wilson has been suspended twice and fined once. Buff has been suspended once and fined twice.
I'm not talking about suspensions. I'm talking about straight up injuring his opponents. lol

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm not talking about suspensions. I'm talking about straight up injuring his opponents. lol

Players get injured in hockey. Its a contact sport played at high speed where all the players carry a stick. You seem to be equivalating Wilson injurying a guy with a clean hit with somebody else breaking a guy's wrist with a slash.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I'll use any analogy I please. Technique is real, bud.

I think you're a victim of perception and statistics. Wilson hits a lot. That means he's going to have more injuries than other guys who don't hit as much. Would you like to post some stats that prove he injures more players per hit than everyone else? Let's see some proof.

Also show that they're from illegal hits, not just accidents or sheer power. Show your work.
If you want to water down your argument by trying to use crappy analogies then go ahead, but I'm just telling you, it's not helping your case.

"A victim of perception and statistics" give me a break... The dude consistently injures his opponents, look at his handiwork just since the beginning of this playoff. Wennberg, Dumoulin, Aston-Reese, and now Marchessault.

I love how you say "post some stats that prove he injures more players per hit than everyone" as if "injuries caused by hit" is a standard recorded statistic. You can say "post some stats" for literally anything that is not statistically recorded and get a pseudo-win in any argument lol.

What other players in recent history have taken out 4 players via injury in one playoff run? If you honestly believe that the reason Wilson is consistently injuring opponents is because he's "so big and fast and strong" then just tell me now and we can end this conversation now, because you're obviously not going to "get it" if that's what your legitimate opinion.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Players get injured in hockey. Its a contact sport played at high speed where all the players carry a stick. You seem to be equivalating Wilson injurying a guy with a clean hit with somebody else breaking a guy's wrist with a slash.
Who else in the league right now is injuring, or has injured, their opponents at such a high frequency?

Guys like Ovechkin and Byfuglien can somehow combine speed, size, and strength but somehow not consistently injure their opponents.

3/4 of the injuries he's dished out this post-season are because he's making contact with his opponents' heads. This isn't because he's "just so much bigger and stronger than everyone else" He is doing something wrong.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Who else in the league right now is injuring, or has injured, their opponents at such a high frequency?

I don't know. Is there a stat page to look at or is this just your perception? And of these injuries that you claim how many are caused by an illegal play? Are you saying that something should be done about Wilson legal checks? That he shouldn't play the same rules as the rest? Are you saying that the league should change their rules to make his legal hits illegal?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Wilson is a unique player. I get why other teams hate him along with their fans.

He falls in the “love him if he plays for your team” category.

I wouldn’t trade him 1 for 1 for Schmidt and I love Nate Schmidt. There is no player in the league like Wilson who can hit, fight, skate, excellent on Pk, very good defensively and can bring offensive acumen.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I don't know. Is there a stat page to look at or is this just your perception? And of these injuries that you claim how many are caused by an illegal play? Are you saying that something should be done about Wilson legal checks? That he shouldn't play the same rules as the rest? Are you saying that the league should change their rules to make his legal hits illegal?
You're playing coy. Whenever a player gets injured by a hit, it gets publicized. You're not seeing any videos of other players taking their opponents out of game from injury is because it's not happening to other guys.

Wilson has hurt 3 of 4 players because of contact to the head. Are you telling me that there is nothing wrong with what he's doing? Also, keep in mind that lack of supplemental discipline =/= a "legal" hit. That just means it wasn't punished. I feel that we can both agree that DoPS doesn't always get it right...

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Ah... The (mostly) undisputed dirtiest player in the league.... lol

Even Marchand hasn't injured 4 opponents within a span of a couple weeks.

You asked, I answered. Marchand is also a top ten player in the league so I am sure the Bruins will "deal" with having him.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
You asked, I answered. Marchand is also a top ten player in the league so I am sure the Bruins will "deal" with having him.
I'm not trying to have a go at you, I just don't think Marchand is even on par with Wilson, and Marchy is seen as the dirtiest player in the league. lol.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'm not trying to have a go at you, I just don't think Marchand is even on par with Wilson, and Marchy is seen as the dirtiest player in the league. lol.

Understood and IMO Wilson hurts guys cause he's bigger and stronger, let me know when he elbows a guy in the head and causes him to miss half the season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You're playing coy. Whenever a player gets injured by a hit, it gets publicized. You're not seeing any videos of other players taking their opponents out of game from injury is because it's not happening to other guys.

Wilson has hurt 3 of 4 players because of contact to the head. Are you telling me that there is nothing wrong with what he's doing? Also, keep in mind that lack of supplemental discipline =/= a "legal" hit. That just means it wasn't punished. I feel that we can both agree that DoPS doesn't always get it right...

Coy? Tom Wilson is 6-4. When he runs over a 6-1 player a full body hit will get head. He also has trucked guys that they hit their head on the ice.

But please, can you provide me of some list of players injured by Wilson compared to other players in the league?

See I don't remember when Kadri hits and hurts because I don't pay attention. With some people there is a neon sign that lights up. WILSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
A skilled goon yes, but a goon none the less. And let's not say he terrifies players with his skill. He terrifies players with his goonery. I guess if that is important to you, then I can see why you think Wilson's positives outweigh his negatives. I disagree with that, but that's just me.

I just brought up Reaves because he is seen as a goon too. I wasn't saying Reaves is as skilled as Wilson.
Hi, this is hockey, all of the things you are saying are negatives about him parts of hockey. Listen to any veteran talk and having players terrified of you hitting them while you're on the ice is not goonery, it's called being a good hockey player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad