Confirmed Trade: [VAN/ARI] Ekman-Larsson (12% ret.), Garland for Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson, 9th OA, '22 2nd, '23 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I've been spending more time on the Canucks reddit page lately much more bearable much more love for the Canucks there.

Why is it so hard to belive in the players on your team. A more positive atmosphere will often result in positive results. The deal is done, lets let the guy at least put the jersey on.

Me too. People there aren't necessarily "pro benning shills" but at least you can talk to them and they have the capacity to enjoy hockey and have a discussion without immediately stearing it into the most cynical hate filled rant possible. At the end of the day its a sport and a team and we have no control.

This team at least looks good for next season, with the possibility of actually being a top 10 club that contends. I personally want a better GM but I'm also a realist that whoever is hired will be influenced by the meddling owner and will likely make similar mistakes. And what good GM would want to work under that anyways?

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
You are dreaming and sound like a casual who started to watch the canucks in the bubble. You have little ideea about what you are talking about. I doubt you watch any games from start to finish.

The defence si full of defenders who are bad at defending, Just making the playoffs should not be the target. Building a team that can make at least the 2nd round for 4-5 years and win the cup, is the target. Our window is from 2023 onwards and we just singned a guy who by that time will be the new Louie. Petey, Hughes , Garland and Dick also need to be signed. A signed Garland at a decent price would have been much better.

There is a real danger that Petey gets a 10m/year offer sheet that would mess up our salary structure. If he gets 10m do you think that Bo, Brock and Miller would take less than 8?

LOL. If you read my previous post, my father got 4 season ticket centre line reds in the last year of the WHL. We have had them ever since. I saw them play their first final against NYI. I saw game 6 against NYR, and I flew up from Australia to watch game 7 live in 2011. Since we don't get hockey much in Aus, I subscribe to NHL so I probably watch a lot more games than you do.

Admittedly, I missed most of the hockey from 1998 to 2010 because there weren't any options to see games down here. But, bubble boy, methinks not.

But responding. Yeah, I understand those concerns. I had an hour conversation with Chillybilly, my twin brother yesterday. He hated the deal. Makar signed for $9M today, so that sets the benchmark.

Yes, we are going to be very tight on cap space. And I could go on....

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I like it for both teams, I think it's good short term for Vancouver.

It's basically the 9th overall pick for a top-6 forward in Garland and a top-4 defenseman in Ekman-Larsson, with a slightly discounted contract. I believe a lot of Ekman-Larsson's struggles were from playing in Arizona for all those years - we've all had bad employers, and it must've been frustrating.

Ekman-Larsson's deal will look like total crap by 2025, but this is the kind of trade you make to win within the next three years. And hey, they can always just trade him back to Arizona (or Seattle?) :sarcasm:

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
LOL. If you read my previous post, my father got 4 season ticket centre line reds in the last year of the WHL. We have had them ever since. I saw them play their first final against NYI. I saw game 6 against NYR, and I flew up from Australia to watch game 7 live in 2011. Since we don't get hockey much in Aus, I subscribe to NHL so I probably watch a lot more games than you do.

Admittedly, I missed most of the hockey from 1998 to 2010 because there weren't any options to see games down here. But, bubble boy, methinks not.

But responding. Yeah, I understand those concerns. I had an hour conversation with Chillybilly, my twin brother yesterday. He hated the deal. Makar signed for $9M today, so that sets the benchmark.

Yes, we are going to be very tight on cap space. And I could go on....
I was a little harsh because i am still mad at getting OEL and i;m tired of hearing people that it was a good trade for us. It was not. 9th for Garland is fair if he signs a resonable contract. The rest of the trade is moronic. You don';trade 3 expiring bad contracts for a 6 year albatros contract just to make the playoffs next year. This kind of thinking got us in this mess. To top it of Jimbo also gave them another 2 picks. At least make Arizona retain 40% of the contract. They were desperate to get rid of OEL. Everybody in the NHL but Jimbo knew this.

Last edited:

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
I was a little harsh because i am still mad at getting OEL and i;m tired of hearing people that it was a good trade for us. It was not. 9th for Garland is fair if he signs a resonable contract. The rest of the trade is moronic. You don';trade 3 expiring bad contracts for a 6 year albatros contract just to make the playoffs next year. This kind of thinking got us in this mess. To top it of Jimbo also gave them another 2 picks. At least make Arizona retain 40% of the contract. They were desperate to get rid of OEL. Everybody in the NHL but Jimbo knew this.
Thank you for a reasonable response. There are really only two possibilities here.

OEL comes back to form after getting out of AZ and away from RT, or he doesn't, so:

1. As per my post, we get short term gain, and if everything works out we have a pretty phenomonal team for three to five years, or
2. OEL declines, everybody continues to have mediocre seasons, we scrape into the playoffs and see the team decline for another five years because we have no prospects and no picks.

As was said a bit earlier....let's let OEL put a jersey on.

Reactions: Mergatroidskittle

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Greg Wyshynsky from ESPN gives the Coyotes an A and the Canucks a D+ for this trade, which he calls "one of the most nihilistic trades we've ever seen in the NHL." It's a GM trying to wipe up his mistakes by creating what is likely another giant mistake that he almost certainly won't be around to have to deal with.

Trade grades: Coyotes win a salary-cap shell game in trade with Canucks

All this being said, he's a Canuck now, lump it or leave it. And I will cheer for him, even as I am actively hoping for our management to change.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Greg Wyshynsky from ESPN gives the Coyotes an A and the Canucks a D+ for this trade, which he calls "one of the most nihilistic trades we've ever seen in the NHL." It's a GM trying to wipe up his mistakes by creating what is likely another giant mistake that he almost certainly won't be around to have to deal with.

All this being said, he's a Canuck now, lump it or leave it. And I will cheer for him, even as I am actively hoping for our management to change.

Wysh is such a hack.

I'm surprised Murelo is willing to eat all this dead money, given the news last year that players, vendors and staff were getting paid late. Guess he rebounded financially.

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018

Who does Greg think he is a Poet? Calling a trade nihilistic? lmao

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
OEL is getting massively underrated because of his contract. He’s a top 4 defensman and when not playing on Arizona I think he can be a top pairing guy

Going to have to get his head right in his own zone and undo at least one knee injury for that to happen. He was a big part of why AZ was bad, unfortunately.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
OEL is a talented person. As much as his play dipped, and motivation (understandably) has been questioned, I don't think his talent just disappears.

Thought it was telling when he mentioned 'being happy again' and 'building my confidence'. Seems like it was a demoralizing situation for him the last few years. (Not trying to slam AZ)

Im definitely optimistic, think his strengths will suit our forward group well too.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
OEL is a talented person. As much as his play dipped, and motivation (understandably) has been questioned, I don't think his talent just disappears.

Thought it was telling when he mentioned 'being happy again' and 'building my confidence'. Seems like it was a demoralizing situation for him the last few years. (Not trying to slam AZ)

Im definitely optimistic, think his strengths will suit our forward group well too.
Wish him well. Putting the C on his jersey was huge mistake as was the long term contract. I expect him to have a very good year in Vancouver next year, I don’t expect the following 5 years to be near as good.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I was originally quite pissed about this trade, but than I took a step back and just broke it down.

the 1st and 2nd rounder was a given. Last year the offer was

1st round
2nd round
Jake Virtanen
Brandon Sutter

this time around it was

1st round
2nd round

Beagle
Ericsson
Rouselle
+7th rounder

For a 12% OEL retained and a 2nd line winger whois age group fits our group almost perfectly. anyone with a functioning brain would chose option 2 which became

Virtanen
Sutter

to
Beagle
Ericsson
Rouselle
7th round essentially this was the difference.

I will not call Benning Genius, absolutely not. This trade I believe is a win on both sides including Arizona. Who's said a trade cannot be won by 2 teams? Benning did good on this, however there will be time for that discussion about his future problems on another thread.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I personally think this trade works well for both teams, and is generally a good trade.

I’ll admit, there is massive risk with OEL. I really hope he ages well, we need at least 3-4 years of top pairing play, then at least top 4 play for the remainder of that contract. Hopefully he ages well.

If this trade were proposed on HF I personally think most fans would be saying Vancouver doesn’t give enough. But really, both teams walk away from this with pieces that address their most pressing immediate needs. AZ walks away with a top 10 pick and a 2nd next year. VAN walks away with what they believe to be a top pairing defenseman, and a top 6 forward, for essentially no cap space since they sent dumps back.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
That guenther pick is just too good for zona some scouts had him top 3. Homerun for zona and I do that deal now blindfolded especially when they got him 9 th overall. The 2nd and 7th rounds was just cherry on the cake.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
That guenther pick is just too good for zona some scouts had him top 3. Homerun for zona and I do that deal now blindfolded especially when they got him 9 th overall. The 2nd and 7th rounds was just cherry on the cake.

Top 3 is a reach for Guenther - I didn't see many saying that. He went pretty close to where expected. Somewhere in the 5-10 range of a crapshoot draft. I think he'll be a great player - maybe around Garland's level? Of course, his young age fits Arizona's timeline much better.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Top 3 is a reach for Guenther - I didn't see many saying that. He went pretty close to where expected. Somewhere in the 5-10 range of a crapshoot draft. I think he'll be a great player - maybe around Garland's level? Of course, his young age fits Arizona's timeline much better.
I think it was a steal personally at 9 th. I found it ridiculous but that's just me.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
I think it was a steal personally at 9 th. I found it ridiculous but that's just me.

Fair enough. I mean who knows what will happen in such a wildcard draft. Personally, I was relieved about the Vancouver trade of the 9th pick when I saw all the players I had really wanted were all taken before 9th. I wasn't super high on Guenther, though I do think he will likely be a great player.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Redline had Guenther at 1 ov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad