Proposal: Leafs - Sabres

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Tuch i could see as part of a package if its picks/prospects

Alex Tuch is not untouchable. HOWEVER, if Alex Tuch is traded by the Buffalo Sabres.....there's a better player with term coming back to Buffalo who might even be a tick younger than Tuch.

He isn't being dealt for "picks/prospects". He isn't being dealt as the best player in a deal.

If Tuch is traded, he's part of a bigger package from Buffalo for an elite player. No, not Marner.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Dahlin is a few years younger than Reilly, other than that they are pretty comparable players

Marner is a grade A superstar

I meant dahlin + 11th OA for Marner signed 8 years, straight up

Dahlin is worth two Reillys but ok. Buffalo wouldn't trade Dahlin for Marner straight up let alone adding the 11th pick even if Marner was signed for eight years. There's no way.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
So the Leafs shed their biggest problem and fill their biggest hole? No thanks.

Wild ideas that would never happen but are a fun thought experiment:
Matthews for Dahlin
Marner for Sabres 1st + Skinner with $ retained

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Tbf, I don’t think Marner is worth the headache regardless of acquisition cost. Guy seems like a prick.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
BUF has their own, low rent Marner in Skinner already.

BUF needs stout support defenders, with a bit of aggro, both in the back end and up front. No need for high end scorers, especially if they are soft. They need Marcus Foligno's, and Jake Middleton's(or, at least, RHD Jake Middleton's). Also need a coach - hopefully Ruff is up to it. Wouldn't have been my choice.

The one high end guy who they should go after is Brady Tkachuk. Would be costly as hell, but Sabres have a lot of pieces to offer.... i guess that would be the subject for another thread.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Tbf, I don’t think Marner is worth the headache regardless of acquisition cost. Guy seems like a prick.
I dunno. Toronto and Canadian media delight in character assassination when it comes to anything to do with the Leafs. Marner might go somewhere else and be totally fine. I just don't think that an 11M, expiring contract for a soft wing who has no history of post season success, is an easy sell.

Maybe to a team like Utah, or Seattle, that has deep pockets and needs skill and star power. But then there is the issue of the NMC.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I dunno. Toronto and Canadian media delight in character assassination when it comes to anything to do with the Leafs. Marner might go somewhere else and be totally fine. I just don't think that an 11M, expiring contract for a soft wing who has no history of post season success, is an easy sell.

Maybe to a team like Utah, or Seattle, that has deep pockets and needs skill and star power. But then there is the issue of the NMC.
His bonus is paid July 2nd then he is owed $750k for the season. It has worth to an owner desperate to make the playoffs.

Reactions: 57special

Strangle

May 4, 2009
You realize we all just saw Marner completely disappear when it mattered most for like the 4th year in a row right?

Grade A Superstar? I'll take some of whatever drug you are on please.

Dahlin has had some legendary playoff success I don’t know about?

Dahlin is worth two Reillys but ok. Buffalo wouldn't trade Dahlin for Marner straight up let alone adding the 11th pick even if Marner was signed for eight years. There's no way.

Enjoy staying in the basement, then

Leafs will move on

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Dahlin has had some legendary playoff success I don’t know about?

Enjoy staying in the basement, then

Leafs will move on

lol if the Leafs could replace Marner with Dahlin, they’d be actual cup contenders instead of essentially a 1st round bye for whoever they face off against. No one is gifting you a genuine #1 defensemen for him, even if you set aside his pending UFA status and apparent attitude problem.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Lol the trade offers from particular fb will be glorious this summer. Love how almost everyone of them always bends over the other team lol. Never fails.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
His bonus is paid July 2nd then he is owed $750k for the season. It has worth to an owner desperate to make the playoffs.
Marner still controls if and where he goes. Leafs could find a good deal and MM simply say no. And imo there is no way MM waives for Buffalo

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
The best part of this thread is that fans of a team that lack a legitimate NHL defenseman (The Leafs) are trashing Dahlin's value.

You can't make it up.
It's fun when haters are so delusional they pretend our players aren't NHL quality.

They made the playoffs again this year, 8th straight for Morgan Rielly.

The NHL all star even has a higher PPG in the playoffs than in the regular season, too bad he's not a legitimate NHLer though.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Its wild that this thread is just leafs fans saying dahlin is shit, and sabres fans saying Marner is shit.

I don't think the sabres and leafs make a fit here but Marner for dahlin is good value on each side.

Having said that, if Marner is getting traded it will be with an extension in place or agreed upon by the receiving team. Think Tkachuk to florida.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Its wild that this thread is just leafs fans saying dahlin is shit, and sabres fans saying Marner is shit.

I don't think the sabres and leafs make a fit here but Marner for dahlin is good value on each side.

Having said that, if Marner is getting traded it will be with an extension in place or agreed upon by the receiving team. Think Tkachuk to florida.

It’s really not. A true #1 defenseman is worth far more than any winger. Factor in contract status, leadership, etc., and it isn’t even close.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Buffalos issues seem to stem from not enough mature veteran leadership

Trading their best player for an overpaid drama queen seems like their best bet, obviously

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
It’s really not. A true #1 defenseman is worth far more than any winger. Factor in contract status, leadership, etc., and it isn’t even close.
Couldn’t agree more - scoring winger is literally the least valuable ( in terms of trade value and likely real world value as well) position of the prime positions. You could argue that goalie is less, but depends on which goalie you’re talking about.

It’s very clear defense, specifically number 1D or right handed D, I have the highest value along with centers.

There is absolutely no way anyone is trading a top defenseman for a maligned but talented winger who shrinks in the playoffs. Who has 1 year left on his contract before ufa - for number one overall D who hasn’t even peaked and is on a long-term contract. Unless the add is astronomical - and even then why would you do it? It is fairly easy to find a scoring winger to play on your top line. . The only exception here could be someone like Matthew tkachuk- but he’s not available anymore.

Reactions: Chainshot

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Marners return is going to be diminished, can’t see the Leafs pulling a major, core piece in return. They’ll gain cap flexibility and some mid players.
It has already been reported that teams have been calling the Leafs on Marner so clearly there’s interest. Is the value gonna be diminished? Sure. But that’s only in relation to the value a 90+ point 2023 selke finalist would normally return.

But if there is even a bit of competition among eligible teams, that’ll drive the price up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad