Confirmed Trade: [VAN/ARI] Ekman-Larsson (12% ret.), Garland for Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson, 9th OA, '22 2nd, '23 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Was hoping for some actual insight. I'm aware his analytics haven't been good, in related news Seth Jones is also a bad player.

Lol. Yup. Jones, Keith, OEL and Risto, some of the biggest names in the NHL for defense are all bad at hockey, while players like Jan Rutta and Luke Schenn go from being horrible to fantastic.

Fans and analalytics should not mix

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
Lol. Yup. Jones, Keith, OEL and Risto, some of the biggest names in the NHL for defense are all bad at hockey, while players like Jan Rutta and Luke Schenn go from being horrible to fantastic.

Fans and analalytics should not mix
You mean Keith, OEL and Risto are good defenders? We are talking about the present. You seem to use the past to validate your opinion. I prefer we aquire players that are good now and not 3+ years ago. Rutta and Schenn are good for 3rd pair. You don't see them playing 25 minutes a night and get paid 7+mil/ season. You have to put in balance what they bring in relation to what they are paid. For what they are paid, Rutta and Schenn are good defenders.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
I think it runs contrary to most narratives that a team with the available cap will offer sheet Petey in a year where 2 1sts will have to be given up in what are considered to be the deepest drafts in a long while.

Add in the fact that the price of an offer sheet is likely higher than acquiring Eichel or other similars.... Seems unlikely

Reactions: Burnaby Schmo

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
He is going to hit 160 an beat McDavid for the Art Ross :sarcasm:

If he was capable of hitting 80, you guys would have kept him.
He was on pace for 65 last year. He is going to be playing with much better offensive players and is just entering his prime. He is a real good fit for Horats line.
70-80 points is not unreasonable. Garland is the reason JB was willing to take on OELs contract.

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
He was on pace for 65 last year. He is going to be playing with much better offensive players and is just entering his prime. He is a real good fit for Horats line.
70-80 points is not unreasonable. Garland is the reason JB was willing to take on OELs contract.
Jimbo likes OEL.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
OEL, a 40 point d-man who hasn't posted a positive +/- since the franchise was named Phoenix.

I think a lot will be disappointed in how shit he is. He's been living off of that one 50+ point season.

Neither has Clayton Keller. Better trade him as well. Red Wings offers a 6th for that +/- garbage.

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
Did you work out the Canucks don’t need 21 million dollars in cap space to sign Brock, Bo and Miller next year yet?
i did. it's next 2 years with Brock next year. But it's the same shit. He is very "dangerous" when he has cap space. It's going to take more than 21m

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
I get that, I think will be a good fit here as well. My point was regarding Garland though. He is a quality top 6 forward who fills a huge need for us. He was not some throw in.
He is not some throw in but we did pay the 9th overall for him. If he was still making the Arziona money it would have been a steal. Both he Dick need new contracts. I don't like OEL. Arizona was desperate to get rid of him. He would have been even cheaper next year for Jimbo to get him. As always , he only thinking short term.

If the trade was the 9th overall for Garland it would have been ok. Getting rid of 3 expiring contracts worth 12 mil for OEL' albatros is not a good trade. Why not wait a year and buyout Jake and Holtby this summer?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
He is not some throw in but we did pay the 9th overall for him. If he was still making the Arziona money it would have been a steal. Both he Dick need new contracts. I don't like OEL. Arizona was desperate to get rid of him. He would have been even cheaper next year for Jimbo to get him. As always , he only thinking short term.

If the trade was the 9th overall for Garland it would have been ok. Getting rid of 3 expiring contracts worth 12 mil for OEL' albatros is not a good trade. Why not wait a year and buyout Jake and Holtby this summer?

Its pretty clear that Benning values OEL still as a top pairing defenseman. I personally don’t know what to believe, so I’m going to keep an open mind until I get to see him play some games for the Canucks at least.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Its pretty clear that Benning values OEL still as a top pairing defenseman. I personally don’t know what to believe, so I’m going to keep an open mind until I get to see him play some games for the Canucks at least.
I agree 100%. OEL is a huge upgrade on what Edler brought last year, and Garland is infinitely better than what Virtanen/Vessey/Gaudette brought last year. Dickinson is a bug step up from Sutter as well.

We are much better heading into next season in a tire fire of a division. I'm really happy with that. As for the OEL deal, we will see, maybe it ages better than people here are expecting. He is only 30, and needed to get away from Tochet.

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
Lol I bet you are the same type of “fan” that was creating crazy theories boeser/demko/gauds/etc wouldn’t sign with the Canucks. Always some made up boogie man to worry about right?
I'm a realist. I saw what Jimbo can do in the last 7 years. It's your problem if you want to drink the kool-aid.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Most non-Canucks fans seem generally positive about it. The many constantly negative and toxic Canucks fans who honestly seem to hate everything are unsurprisingly throwing fits.

Sometimes I think we should make 2 HFcanucks sections. So the 10 optimistic fans can talk in peace.

I really don't think this trade can be fairly judged until after we see how OEL performs. With some of the money and term being tossed around on high profile D (Jones/Hamilton). If OEL can somwhat return to form his 7.25m cap hit definitely won't be the "worst contract in the league.'

Last edited:

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
Sometimes I think we should make 2 HFcanucks sections. So the 10 optimistic fans can talk in peace.

I really don't think this trade can be fairly judged until after we see how OEL performs. With some of the money and term being tossed around on high profile D (Jones/Hamilton). If OEL can somwhat return to form his 7.25m cap hit definitely won't be the "worst contract in the league.'

I've been spending more time on the Canucks reddit page lately much more bearable much more love for the Canucks there.

Why is it so hard to belive in the players on your team. A more positive atmosphere will often result in positive results. The deal is done, lets let the guy at least put the jersey on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad