Confirmed Trade: [VAN/ARI] Ekman-Larsson (12% ret.), Garland for Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson, 9th OA, '22 2nd, '23 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Wish him well. Putting the C on his jersey was huge mistake as was the long term contract. I expect him to have a very good year in Vancouver next year, I don’t expect the following 5 years to be near as good.
He's only 30 so I think he can still be effective beyond this season imo.
He's always reminded me of a better Edler who has played some of his best hockey (before this season) and he's five years older. If OEL can at least play at the same level as Edler has when OEL is 34-35 and with the cap most likely rebounded by then most Nuck fans will be happy, especially if he can bounce back and get his game to where it should be.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Top 3 is a reach for Guenther - I didn't see many saying that. He went pretty close to where expected. Somewhere in the 5-10 range of a crapshoot draft. I think he'll be a great player - maybe around Garland's level? Of course, his young age fits Arizona's timeline much better.
Corey Pronman had him 2nd overall.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think most of you Vancouver fans are way too pessimistic about this trade. No matter how much you like the 1st rounder, it's still a draft pick. He's 3 years or so away from knowing if he's any good and he's now ours which means his bust potential went up x100. That's all you gave up for a guy in Garland you will love. 25, scores goals and EVERY team in the league hates him. You know you're doing something right when EVERYONE targets you night in and night out. Yeah, he's small but you'll forget about that in a shift or two. Just get a couple guys that won't let the continual harassment go without payback. Along with being consistently shitty, we were also the softest team in the league which did Garland no favors. He was of the two guys on this roster worth buying a ticket to see.

In OEL, you're getting the most obvious change of scenery-bounce back candidate in the league, No more C on his chest, another year away from the knee injury and more time has passed after his mother's death which by all accounts affected him heavily. The biggest change though is the coach. I wasn't sure it was that bad until the local, long time radio guy here started ripping on OEL. He's good friends with Tocchet. That was the lock for me that OEL and Tocchet didn't get along at all. I think you have an OEL that will be healthier and happier than he has been in at least 4 years. Lastly, what I always hated about him was his diving for calls. Leave that shit in the NBA. I don't remember him diving once last year thankfully. As long as he doesn't go back to that stupid shit, I think you'll get the OEL that's closer to the 20 goal guy than the 3 from last year.

rt

May 13, 2004
Say what you want about Benning and burning futures and making bad FA decisions. But he’s had a good off-season (for his own job security):

-Edler for OEL
-Virtanen for Garland
-Roussel for Dickinson
-Eriksson for Podkolzin

Those are some major upgrades, and significant cap relief for the next season, at least. That’s what I call living to fight another day. Haha. Dude puts himself on the chopping block and then manages to escape. Over and over. It’s kind of an amazing mix of self-sabotage and self-preservation.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Ya’ll can pin this post. OEL will be a top 4 defenseman for us for 4 years. Last two years he’ll fall off but that’s a problem for another day. This trade helps us big time to contend the next 4 years
That’s what I was trying to tell Canucks fans every time I started an OEL for dumps thread. They didn’t want to hear it then. But I believe they’ll see the light this season when OEL bounces back.

Proposal: - OEL to Vancouver

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
The new Canucks Top 6

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Hoglander - Horvat - Garland

With Pearson and Podkolzin on the third line, there are many combinations now for Coach Green to mix and match depending on the nights match up.

Hoglander - Motte - Garland might be a lethal post PP shift line that just keeps the pressure going relentlessly chasing after the puck.
All three are undersized but plays oversized.

During Sutter and Beagle's initial start with the Canucks, it allowed Horvat to shine as a offensive forward instead of being required to play the shut down role. Dickinson will allow that to happen again.

If the Canucks can figure out the defense, and add another bottom 6 defensive PK forward, watch out.

LogicalOrca

Jul 25, 2021
This is a Big Brain EQ trade from Jim - he's essentially telling Pettersson/Hughes "We're gonna compete for the next 3 years but be trash after that, so sign a bridge with us for now and you'll be free to pursue other opportunities in your prime."

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
This is a Big Brain EQ trade from Jim - he's essentially telling Pettersson/Hughes "We're gonna compete for the next 3 years but be trash after that, so sign a bridge with us for now and you'll be free to pursue other opportunities in your prime."

Or, the organization is willing to do anything to compete.

OEL not working out after a few years? The cap will rise and the buy out will be friendly.
Myers contract will be gone as well in 3 or less years.

Remember, this is the last year of the unjust $3m cap penalty from the league for Luongo.
Holtby's cap is off the books next year too.

They can offer Garland a 1 year show me deal, or a mid term lower cap deal.

There are a lot more flexibility than you think, just like how some Canucks fans were all doom and gloom a few months ago saying the Canucks are in cap hell, all our "dead cap" are now gone magically.

Of course, if our two young stars are signed to insane deals like Matthews and Marner, then we may be locked into a cap hell.

LogicalOrca

Jul 25, 2021
Or, the organization is willing to do anything to compete.

OEL not working out after a few years? The cap will rise and the buy out will be friendly.
Myers contract will be gone as well in 3 or less years.

Remember, this is the last year of the unjust $3m cap penalty from the league for Luongo.
Holtby's cap is off the books next year too.

They can offer Garland a 1 year show me deal, or a mid term lower cap deal.

There are a lot more flexibility than you think, just like how some Canucks fans were all doom and gloom a few months ago saying the Canucks are in cap hell, all our "dead cap" are now gone magically.

Of course, if our two young stars are signed to insane deals like Matthews and Marner, then we may be locked into a cap hell.

All our "Dead Cap" disappeared at the cost of our prospect cupboard which is now barer than bare, when they would have fallen off with no cost in a year.

I respect the difference in opinion regarding teambuilding philosophy, but to me having a solid team through quality prospects who can step in and contribute on ELC and providing the team enough depth to compete year after year sounds a lot more "flexible" than being forced to fill holes with rentals and expensive FA signings to stay competitive and possibly getting ourselves into another Toffoli situation in 2024/2025.

I would bet Pettersson and Hughes would more than willing to commit their long-term future with us if we sold them a solid, sustainable long-term plan to stay competitive for the next 10 years instead of just the next 3.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
All our "Dead Cap" disappeared at the cost of our prospect cupboard which is now barer than bare, when they would have fallen off with no cost in a year.

I respect the difference in opinion regarding teambuilding philosophy, but to me having a solid team through quality prospects who can step in and contribute on ELC and providing the team enough depth to compete year after year sounds a lot more "flexible" than being forced to fill holes with rentals and expensive FA signings to stay competitive and possibly getting ourselves into another Toffoli situation in 2024/2025.

I would bet Pettersson and Hughes would more than willing to commit their long-term future with us if we sold them a solid, sustainable long-term plan to stay competitive for the next 10 years instead of just the next 3.

So now tell that to Bo Horvat, how many of his prime years do you want to waste here?

Theres the talk of this compressing our window, I'd make the argument the other way. Horvat is a win now player, if we wait 2 more years to start challenging your shortening his window - and he's a massive part of our team ever becoming a contender.

I'd argue Demko is entering the 'win now' window too, plus Pettersson/Hughes are elite right now. These guys all have runway, but they are in or entering their primes.

Jim Benning is right that the team needs to take a step & get these guys into the playoffs - so that core group can grow. Gotta support them to do that.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015

5 out of our top 6 forwards are under 26 how isnt that a long term plan with sustainability? might be 6/6 if Podzokain hits. We really need help on the backend. Hughes and Rathbone look like decent NHLers. I think Juolevi will still become a serviceable Dman in the long term. Demko and Dipietro are again in that age group of players under 26. What we really lack is RHD which has been beat to death over the past 3 seasons. The only reason Hughes and Petey arent going to be signed to long term deals is because of the flat cap for the forseable future and honestly Hughes hasnt earn it yet.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
You are talking the best case scenario and that rarely happens. Miller is not taking 6,5 with his last big contract and with his numbers in Vancouver. It all depends on what Petey gets and thas should be the limit. That's why i say the offer sheet is a problem. If he get 10 none of your numbers will be correct. And all your numbers are based on the fact that Jim won't overpay for another player. It's like you have been living in a parallel universe in the last 7 years.

Alright, that's a bit farfetched. Parallel universe?

If I am talking best case scenario, you are talking the ABSOLUTE worst case scenario. I don't think my cap hits are unrealistic at all. I think your fictional reality, the sky is falling approach is far more out there.

You are basing everything on the worst possible outcome. I mean when do any offer sheets actually happen?

Petey offer sheeted at 10 million and you're also penciling in a Jim Benning overpaid contract in there just for fun that makes no sense to the make up of the team now or in the future.

Huge gold medal to you. Brilliant take.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
So now tell that to Bo Horvat, how many of his prime years do you want to waste here?

Theres the talk of this compressing our window, I'd make the argument the other way. Horvat is a win now player, if we wait 2 more years to start challenging your shortening his window - and he's a massive part of our team ever becoming a contender.

I'd argue Demko is entering the 'win now' window too, plus Pettersson/Hughes are elite right now. These guys all have runway, but they are in or entering their primes.

Jim Benning is right that the team needs to take a step & get these guys into the playoffs - so that core group can grow. Gotta support them to do that.

Excellent post

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
Alright, that's a bit farfetched. Parallel universe?

If I am talking best case scenario, you are talking the ABSOLUTE worst case scenario. I don't think my cap hits are unrealistic at all. I think your fictional reality, the sky is falling approach is far more out there.

You are basing everything on the worst possible outcome. I mean when do any offer sheets actually happen?

Petey offer sheeted at 10 million and you're also penciling in a Jim Benning overpaid contract in there just for fun that makes no sense to the make up of the team now or in the future.

Huge gold medal to you. Brilliant take.
I prefer to be pleasantly surprised than dissapointed when it comes to the canucks. If we had a smart GM like Yzerman, Brisebois or even old uncle Lou, i would have all reasons to share your optimism.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
I prefer to be pleasantly surprised than dissapointed when it comes to the canucks. If we had a smart GM like Yzerman, Brisebois or even old uncle Lou, i would have all reasons to share your optimism.

No, you are just picking the worst possible way for things to shake out while annoyingly claiming to be level headed or in the knows. I mean you don't understand the even most simple salary cap structure and it had to be written out for you. You still don't understand that moves don't happen in a vacuum and one move most likely leads to another move further down the road.

Even old uncle Lou? Who is in absolute cap hell and bent over backwards to keep 3 mil players like Clutterbuck and Komarov? He protected Matt Martin over Jordan Eberle in the expansion draft. Crafty.

Is 6.5 for Horvat, 6.5 for Miller and around 8 for Boeser optimistic? What cap hits do you expect?

15 mil for all of them and Benning will trade Petey and Demko for a 5th round pick. Hur-dur Benning toopid.

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
No, you are just picking the worst possible way for things to shake out while annoyingly claiming to be level headed or in the knows.

Even old uncle Lou? Who is in absolute cap hell and bent over backwards to keep 3 mil players like Clutterbuck and Komarov? He protected Matt Martin over Jordan Eberle in the expansion draft. Crafty.
Uncle Lou turned the Islanders around. They were a joke before him. He is a bit old school but it works
for them.

If our GM managed 3 years of consecutive playoffs only to be denied by a dinasty team, i would also praise Jim.

I don't get what you are arguing about here? You deny that Jim is incompetent or what?You seem to put your trust in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad