Value Of Mcdonagh

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The Leafs still have all their picks. Use them to draft more prospects. Adding McDonagh will have an immediate impact on the Leafs
With all of the contracts we need to re-sign, there won't be room to sign McD in 1.5 years....and Zeke included the 1st in the proposal i responded to.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Those forwards are still great, actually.

But if you want to replace Goat with some other vet 4th line C, go ahead.
Lievo on the 2nd line? Unproven Grundstrom and Johnson? Ya...no chance that goes bad. And where is Marleau's 6.5 mil in cap?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
With all of the contracts we need to re-sign, there won't be room to sign McD in 1.5 years....and Zeke included the 1st in the proposal i responded to.
Build the team around Matthews, Marner, Nylander and McDonagh. Everyone else is worth moving to make the cap work

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Build the team around Matthews, Marner, Nylander and McDonagh. Everyone else is worth moving to make the cap work
I would much prefer to stay the course. We can keep the 3 kids...have Kapanen and possibly Liljgren play next season...and draft in the 1st round. McD will be 30 when he would need to be re-signed...that's not a good "build around age" to throw a big contract at.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Lievo on the 2nd line? Unproven Grundstrom and Johnson? Ya...no chance that goes bad. And where is Marleau's 6.5 mil in cap?

yes, we will have to make some sacrifices and take some chances somewhere on the roster. and the best place to take that chance is on the wing. and we have lots of good looking wing prospects beyond kappy, and will likely draft even more in the next couple years.

If all of them fail, then picking up cheapo vet wing offense is one of the easiest things to do on the cheap in the offseason.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
yes, we will have to make some sacrifices and take some chances somewhere on the roster. and the best place to take that chance is on the wing. and we have lots of good looking wing prospects beyond kappy, and will likely draft even more in the next couple years.

No, no we won't. We can keep Kap....keep Lil....keep our picks....keep the big 3.....keep to the plan. No need to pay huge for a D at the cost of sacrificing the future.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I would much prefer to stay the course. We can keep the 3 kids...have Kapanen and possibly Liljgren play next season...and draft in the 1st round. McD will be 30 when he would need to be re-signed...that's not a good "build around age" to throw a big contract at.
Stay the course if you want the leafs to go without a #1 or #2 D for the next 5 years. You have to pay to get.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Any forward core led by Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kadri, is gonna be great.

And we have lots of good young winger prospects coming up.

Using the fear of having to rely on a couple of winger prospects around them to avoid getting a player as good as McDonagh strikes me as a little off.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Using the fear of having to rely on a couple of winger prospects around them to avoid getting a player as good as McDonagh strikes me as a little off.

I mean it’s basically the Chicago and Pittsburgh model

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Stay the course if you want the leafs to go without a #1 or #2 D for the next 5 years. You have to pay to get.
The Leafs can/will upgrade the D without a homerun swing. There is no need to empty the cupboard for 1.5 years of McD.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

The fear i have is trading 3 very good young pieces for a quick fix....been down that road, didn't end well.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The fear i have is trading 3 very good young pieces for a quick fix....been down that road, didn't end well.

I dunno, have we really ever been down the road where we're already one of the best teams in hockey, and then traded futures for a 28yr old stud #1 dman?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Leafs can/will upgrade the D without a homerun swing. There is no need to empty the cupboard for 1.5 years of McD.
That's not exactly emptying the cupboard. lol You still have future picks, prospects and signings.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I dunno, have we really ever been down the road where we're already one of the best teams in hockey, and then traded futures for a 28yr old stud #1 dman?

Agreed. As long as the Leafs have Matthews, Nylander, Marner and Kadri, the offence will be fine. It would really sting to lose guys like Liljegren, Kapanen and a 1st but I'd do it for McDonagh.

Acquiring McDonagh is almost like the time we got Matthews. The Leafs D isn't bad but it seems like everyone is playing close to a level above what they are capable of.

Matthews put everyone in their right place. McDonagh would put every D the Leafs have in their right place and making them much better.

If the Leafs had to spend assets, I'd go big with McDonagh over small upgrades with guys like Tanev, Schmidt etc.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You're right...the Kessel trade never happened. Way to narrow the goal posts...i said trade high futures for quick fix....which is what this is.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

The year we traded for Leetch but I think this Leaf team is closer than that Leaf team was.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
You're right...the Kessel trade never happened. Way to narrow the goal posts...i said trade high futures for quick fix....which is what this is.

How is acquiring a #1D in his prime a quick fix, especially if we can sign him? That's not a quick fix, that is a permanent fix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad