Value Of Mcdonagh

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If we're not winning games, shouldn't we at least wait to see if our coach gets fired before trading our captain?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If we're not winning games, shouldn't we at least wait to see if our coach gets fired before trading our captain?

For the record I do not think McDonagh should be traded now. The chance to trade him was over the summer. The Rangers actually have to be buyers now.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Gallagher or Poehling, Mete, 1st
No even though I do like Mete. Nothing on the Habs interests me unless you guys want to give up Drouin+. Chucky or any combo of your mediocre prospects we don't have interest in

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
That Puljujarvi, 1st, 2nd deal is probably the best one you'd get. Add that to what the Rangers got for Stepan and Raanta and that's a pretty good start to a rebuild

Plus Zuccarello would bring in quite a haul. Rangers though, much like the Habs, are in tough to go for a full rebuild because of goaltending.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Plus Zuccarello would bring in quite a haul. Rangers though, much like the Habs, are in tough to go for a full rebuild because of goaltending.

Where does Zuccarello figure into this?

Rangers could have into a rebuild with Hank for sure. When Shestyorkin comes over he is going to be their Vasilevsky. Hank is in decline. He can’t single handedly get the Rangers into the playoffs anymore and shouldn’t be treated as such.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Where does Zuccarello figure into this?

Rangers could have into a rebuild with Hank for sure. When Shestyorkin comes over he is going to be their Vasilevsky. Hank is in decline. He can’t single handedly get the Rangers into the playoffs anymore and shouldn’t be treated as such.

If they're rebuilding they trade him? I thought that was self explanatory

What I mean is he's still a good enough goalie that he'd keep them out of the absolute basement, they'd hang around as a bubble team

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If they're rebuilding they trade him? I thought that was self explanatory

What I mean is he's still a good enough goalie that he'd keep them out of the absolute basement, they'd hang around as a bubble team

Nothing worse than being a bubble team. The Rangers can try to trade Lundqvist but there are three obvious problems:

The trade market for goalies, his NMC and his contract. It’s very hard for a Lundqvist match in a trade.

As for Zuccarello he probably sticks around because he has a good contract and is very popular in the organization would take a lot to move. I was a little confused because you referenced the Puljujarvi and picks for McDonagh offer.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Nothing worse than being a bubble team. The Rangers can try to trade Lundqvist but there are three obvious problems:

The trade market for goalies, his NMC and his contract. It’s very hard for a Lundqvist match in a trade.

As for Zuccarello he probably sticks around because he has a good contract and is very popular in the organization would take a lot to move. I was a little confused because you referenced the Puljujarvi and picks for McDonagh offer.

Yeah fair enough I was referring more to the "good start to the rebuild" comment.

That's exactly where the Habs are with Price. You'll never get anywhere near what he's worth to your own team, and honestly what he'd be worth to the team acquiring him. Best I could see for Hank would be a couple of cap dumps and a couple 1sts, and I think his on ice value is much more than that

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah fair enough I was referring more to the "good start to the rebuild" comment.

That's exactly where the Habs are with Price. You'll never get anywhere near what he's worth to your own team, and honestly what he'd be worth to the team acquiring him. Best I could see for Hank would be a couple of cap dumps and a couple 1sts, and I think his on ice value is much more than that

I mean the Rangers would have jumped at that.

I don’t know which team, especially that Lundqvist waives NMC for, would go for that though.

Price at least has age on his side

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I mean the Rangers would have jumped at that.

I don’t know which team, especially that Lundqvist waives NMC for, would go for that though.

Price at least has age on his side

Yeah tbh that might unfortunately be more in line with Price's value, but I don't think this would be too much higher than what Hank is worth. Maybe a 2nd/3rd as opposed to a second 1st

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Probably not. The Rangers has a chance to rebuild last summer but chose not to. They really have to buy now because they took a half measure.
They don't "have to" do anything. They're 1-5 now, depending on if, when and how they turn it around they can be sellers or buyers or stand pat.

And you can't really miss your chance to rebuild Imo, short of selling assets for "win now" players. Moving current assets for futures can be done anytime assuming you still have those assets. They literally just traded Stepan for futures. The only other major acquisitions they made were Smith and Shattenkirk, who they gave up no assets for at all. They have the same number of trade chips they had this summer.

The only way I can see that they missed a chance to rebuild is if you're talking about literally stripping the team down to barely operable garbage at the cap floor and praying to the draft gods. Otherwise, even a rebuilding team needs players who are currently talented and who the youth can learn from and succeed with. Stripping the team down to that extent would never ever happen with this owner, and thank god, because there is something worse than being a bubble team believe it or not, it's being absolutely terrible and losing the game of chance that could potentially lift you out of it.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
He's likely getting 8m+ on his next deal which is the kicker for Toronto.

If he was 4.7 for the next few years, Toronto would go Kapanen, 1st, ++.

A deal is hard to foresee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad