Raptors Discussion: V64 Round 3! First conf. finals in franchise history!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
I'd say Cleveland is the team that looks to be rounding into form at the right time. Also, how impressed should I be with this one game winning streak and DD shooting 12-29? Lowry's great but so are Lebron, Kyrie and Love. DD's several notches below those guys and with JV out, who's our 3rd best player?

It's really too bad about JV, with him we'd have a much better shot. I haven't looked at the betting line but I imagine Cleveland is at least a 5-1 favorite to win, even 8/9-1 wouldn't shock me.

To have any shot, we need contributions from Ross, Patterson and Carroll like we saw in Game 7 AND we need Cory Joseph to not suck.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
The way people are talking about how the Raptors have no chance in this series you would think that they scraped into the playoffs and weren't just one game back of the Cavs for the top seed during the regular season taking two of three in the season series.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The way people are talking about how the Raptors have no chance in this series you would think that they scraped into the playoffs and weren't just one game back of the Cavs for the top seed during the regular season taking two of three in the season series.

Regular season means nothing. You have to consider the recent form of both teams, the health of the rosters, and the fatigue factor. We are serious underdogs, but that's ok. The guys are playing with house money now and shouldn't feel any pressure, which will hopefully allow them to perform at their best.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Of course the Raptors have a chance. Realistically though, the chance is very small and trust me, the regular season records etc. mean zilch at this point. That's what the bookmakers say anyway and unlike random talking heads, they back up their words with real money. Yes people will say that the "Vegas line" isn't the "true line" but don't kid yourself, while technically that is true, in practice the difference between the two is negligible these days, those guys know what they're doing. If they say Cleveland is a huge favorite, you can pretty much rest assured that that is indeed the case. But if you think that betting a buck on the Raps to win 7 is a good bet then go ahead, maybe you'll win. If I was forced to bet myself though I'd bet on Cleveland even though I prefer to stay away from having to lay such huge odds.

If the Raptors beat Cleveland, it will be the biggest NBA upset since ... meh I don't even know when the last time a playoff upset that huge happened in the NBA.

Here's a link for you:
http://www.raptorshq.com/2016/5/16/11680056/nba-playoffs-2016-odds-raptors-cavaliers-underdog

And a clip from that article:
It's no secret the Raptors have their work cut out for them versus the wine and gold. When examining the series price at sports books, that's especially obvious. Cleveland has a -1100 shot to advance to the NBA Finals, while the Raptors have a +700 chance to do so.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Probably when the Mavs beat the Heat in 2011, or the Grizz beat the Spurs in that same year.

So basically yes, even the most major upsets are capable of happening. Doesn't mean it will, but it's not like it has never happened before or even recently for that matter.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Probably when the Mavs beat the Heat in 2011, or the Grizz beat the Spurs in that same year.

So basically yes, even the most major upsets are capable of happening. Doesn't mean it will, but it's not like it has never happened before or even recently for that matter.

Of course it can happen, I'm just saying the chances are slim is all.

I thought about the Mavs/Heat but thought nah, the Mavs weren't nearly as big underdogs as the Raps are, could be wrong though. Whatever, would obviously be so awesome if the Raps can shock the world. I jsut don't see it happening without JV though and I suspect we've seen the last of him for these playoffs.

thrillclinton

May 24, 2013
Toronto
As much as I like basketball, it makes things less interesting when there are hardly any playoff upsets i.e. you almost never see the NBA equivalent of the Washington Capitals going out in the second round.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Lowry and Derozan can't have off days like they've been having many off these playoffs already. Refs are gonna call any kind of contact to James a foul and maybe even some phantom calls. I just hope we compete and make this a series and not get swept.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
It does seem weird to me that the Hawks were +400-ish to win their series and we're in the +650 range.

There is probably a small amount of value on the Raps tbh.

As much as I like basketball, it makes things less interesting when there are hardly any playoff upsets i.e. you almost never see the NBA equivalent of the Washington Capitals going out in the second round.

I mean it happened like 3 days ago...

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
It does seem weird to me that the Hawks were +400-ish to win their series and we're in the +650 range.

There is probably a small amount of value on the Raps tbh.

I mean it happened like 5 days ago...

The Spurs lost to the Thunder. Wasn't much of an upset. Only thing that shocked some was that it happened in 6 and the Thunder won 3 in a row to finish them off.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

NHL cap system doesn't allow NHL teams to do what NBA teams do. NHL teams management has to be smart when putting a team together and the NBA just has to have money to throw at top players.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I don't quite buy into the quick series the American Media is calling for. Most predicting a sweep (which I'm sure has more to do with their butthurtness over losing out on the easy Lebron-Miami story).

Could easily see it going 6. I'll predict Cavaliers in 7.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
the Cavs have not only the best player on the court, but the top 3 players on the court. Toronto could barely beat a Miami team with an aging Wade, injured Bosh and Whiteside. Cavs in 5 at worst.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
the Cavs have not only the best player on the court, but the top 3 players on the court. Toronto could barely beat a Miami team with an aging Wade, injured Bosh and Whiteside. Cavs in 5 at worst.

The Cavaliers have the best player on the court, and second best in the league (imo).

The Raptors, when healthy and right, have the second, third and fourth best players in the series. The Cavaliers have two of the top ten most overrated players in the league (also the fifth and sixth best players in the series) on their squad.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
The NBA has a salary cap and luxury tax system. So no, that's extremely inaccurate.

with bird rights its really easy to manipulate the system. Use all your FA money on FAs and then when youre at the max resign your bird righted players and go over the cap. "Extremely inaccurate" is a stretch.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
The books are set early and as the series kicks off they'll be adjusted around the amount of money coming in via bets to either team. No doubt the smart money is on CLE but the obscurity of the Raptors in the NBA landscape south of the border has an impact on those odds. I agree with an earlier poster in that there is good value in a Raptors bet and I don't think its as lopsided a matchup as the odds would suggest.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
with bird rights its really easy to manipulate the system. Use all your FA money on FAs and then when youre at the max resign your bird righted players and go over the cap. "Extremely inaccurate" is a stretch.

Saying that the statement: "the NBA just has to have money to throw at top players" is extremely inaccurate is in no way a stretch.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Idk why. The Thunder when healthy are probably the 2nd best team in the league. I love the Spurs and wanted them to win but they are getting older and probably couldn't keep up the the Thunder.

The Spurs had the 7th best record in NBA history, and that's with constantly resting guys during the season.

Thunder were +250 in their series, Penguins were +125 against the Caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad