Raptors Discussion: V64 Round 3! First conf. finals in franchise history!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
As a defensive presence and energy guy he is basically perfect off the bench. But his non-existent offensive game, tendency to handle the ball like a live grenade, and prediliction for fouling would cripple a team that tries to use him as a full-time starter. Best case would be a platoon with an above-average backup, but even that isn't ideal.

Honestly, I'm not that upset though. Nogueira is a lot better than people give him credit for. He's not a hyper athletic, in-your-face type guy like Biyombo, but he's a good rebounder, has some shot-blocking ability, can run the floor, and can actually handle the basketball and run things like a pick-and-roll. He needs to add strength, and he will get caught out of position and foul a little too much, but as a backup those aren't deal-breakers. He'll slide into that 2nd unit with little problem.
You know bebe is older than bismack right? You sound like you're hoping he becomes the type of player bis already is. And bismack has a player option for next year, hopefully he takes it.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You know bebe is older than bismack right? You sound like you're hoping he becomes the type of player bis already is. And bismack has a player option for next year, hopefully he takes it.

There's no reason for a guy to take a 2.9m option when he's coming off his best season and is expected to receive something like a 4/40 deal.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Because the Raptors don't have his bird rights, I think for the Raptors to resign Biyombo they would need to trade a contract like Ross or Carroll, or for Masai to choose Halak over Price by keeping Biyombo and trading Valanciunas to create room. I expect them to lose Biyombo this summer, it'll just be too pricey in both dollars and assets to keep him just to be backup C. Along with giving Bebe a chance a good way to fill the backup C spot would be the 9th pick. As for Valanciunas vs Biyombo for me it's still a no brainer because I believe JV is clicking in on defense the last few months of the season and playoffs which makes his potential scary

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Makes sense based on all the contributions Bosh has made in these playoffs

Also I'd say Lowry wins us a game in this series and we probably hang in a couple more, but can't really see how it comes back to Toronto for a Game 6.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie

Also I'd say Lowry wins us a game in this series and we probably hang in a couple more, but can't really see how it comes back to Toronto for a Game 6.

The Cavs have been sitting for so long.

I think it is possible to go in there and steal game 1 and you have to expect us to win at least one at home ourselves.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I feel the same. I'd be more optimistic if JV had continued his stellar play instead of going down with an injury but without him, yeah it's hard to see how we can compete. And that also has a lot to do with how well Cleveland is playing and the fact that playoff Lebron>>>>>regular season Lebron. Glad they made it this far though (though I hope that doesn't mean they throw max money at DD). Hopefully there will be some fun moments still to come.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I think the Raps will be better suited to face the Cavs who will use a more traditional lineup. They run Tristan Thompson out at the 5 or even Love sometimes at the 5 but don't think they would run as small as Miami had to.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Wow..I guess I'm amongst the small minority who believes we've got a chance..Cavs also swept 2 defensively inept teams...Raps defence will pose a greater issue for the Cavs. I'm almost certain it won't be a sweep even if Cavs beat us. JV being there would have made a difference as well, but if the Raps play the way they did that game 7 every game against the Cavs, they've got a shot in my opinion to de-throne Queen James.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
That didn't stop them from trouncing the Hawks in round 2. They're well rested and more importantly, healthy, unlike the Raps.

I hear that but if we're playing our game (Big if) we are significantly better than either team the Cavs faced. I don't expect to take the series but I also thought that a Raptors blowout yesterday was the least likely of scenarios.

We'll have to win at least 1 game in Cle and game 1 is the best bet. That's all I was really saying.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Wow..I guess I'm amongst the small minority who believes we've got a chance..Cavs also swept 2 defensively inept teams...Raps defence will pose a greater issue for the Cavs. I'm almost certain it won't be a sweep even if Cavs beat us. JV being there would have made a difference as well, but if the Raps play the way they did that game 7 every game against the Cavs, they've got a shot in my opinion to de-throne Queen James.

If we had disposed of Indy and Miami in fewer games (which we should have), and we were healthy, I would feel much better about our chances.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

There's always "a chance", it's just that realistically, that chance is very small.

Ask yourself, what are the chances that the Raps play the way they did game 7 every game against the Cavs? When you answer that, you'll be well on your way to figuring out what the Raps chances are of actually winning this series.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
There's always "a chance", it's just that realistically, that chance is very small.

Ask yourself, what are the chances that the Raps play the way they did game 7 every game against the Cavs? When you answer that, you'll be well on your way to figuring out what the Raps chances are of actually winning this series.

To be fair, it looks like they are rounding into form at the right time. At least Lowry and DD anyways

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Lowry played like the star that he is today. Best player the Raptors have ever had. If he can keep his shooting up, we can steal a game or 2 against the Cavs.

He's good but not the best player we've ever had

Carter is unanimous #1

T-Mac easy #2 (He was a star talent when he was here, he got extremely limited minutes which is why his point numbers were low and why he requested to be moved, and ended up in Orlando)

Then you got Bosh, Derozan, Lowry all at about the same level

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Hawks have a top 10 defensive team, but having Carroll on James is a lot better than Bazemore so I'll give you that.

Carter is unanimous #1

T-Mac easy #2 (He was a star talent when he was here, he got extremely limited minutes which is why his point numbers were low and why he requested to be moved, and ended up in Orlando)

Does that matter at all? It's like saying Olajuwon is the best Raptor because he played his last season here. Chauncey Billups has to be in that top 5 too. And I know Mourning never suited up, but he was a Raptor for a day.

Last edited:

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I don't think if Raptors stand any chance, I would be content if they win a game or two

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie

Carter is unanimous #1

T-Mac #2? No way. He became the player that could be considered that but he wasn't when he was here.

Carter at #1 sure but unanimous is a stretch. If Lowry/Derozan can continue down the path they are on for another couple seasons the debate will become fierce.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
To be fair, it looks like they are rounding into form at the right time. At least Lowry and DD anyways

I'd say Cleveland is the team that looks to be rounding into form at the right time. Also, how impressed should I be with this one game winning streak and DD shooting 12-29? Lowry's great but so are Lebron, Kyrie and Love. DD's several notches below those guys and with JV out, who's our 3rd best player?

It's really too bad about JV, with him we'd have a much better shot. I haven't looked at the betting line but I imagine Cleveland is at least a 5-1 favorite to win, even 8/9-1 wouldn't shock me.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I'd say Cleveland is the team that looks to be rounding into form at the right time. Also, how impressed should I be with this one game winning streak and DD shooting 12-29? Lowry's great but so are Lebron, Kyrie and Love. DD's several notches below those guys and with JV out, who's our 3rd best player?

It's really too bad about JV, with him we'd have a much better shot. I haven't looked at the betting line but I imagine Cleveland is at least a 5-1 favorite to win, even 8/9-1 wouldn't shock me.

I'm not arguing against the odds. But as a fan, I am going into the series hanging my hopes. JV hurt is huge without a doubt. We're going to live and die with our defense as we have all post season. I don't mind our defensive match-ups at all but I know full well that the superstars in the league almost always play in and win NBA titles. We don't have any of those although Lowry is capable of stretches where he plays like one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad