Raptors Discussion: v53 | Raps' hostage-free FA signings | Joseph/Carroll presser Thu 9th @10am ET/7am PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Is Taj Gibson still available? Last I heard the Lakers were in on a sign & trade with him, but nothing concrete.

Wonder if we could offer something similar involving Ross and JJ.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
NBA title

Can that be won without a Super Star at least two other Stars and a couple of very good pro's, and a bench of at least three competent NBA players. So were do the Raptors fit in this scenario. :help:

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
I think the raptors are done for the offseason. Small ball with Carroll @ PF.

You don't bring in Carroll to sit at the PF spot. I still think there is a move to be made to either bring in a cheap 4 that is ready to start or a alright backup 4 and 2pat starts.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
You don't bring in Carroll to sit at the PF spot. I still think there is a move to be made to either bring in a cheap 4 that is ready to start or a alright backup 4 and 2pat starts.

I'm not saying that it's a good idea, but given Casey's body of work, I wouldn't be surprised.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Yeah, his love for smallball despite the fact that we are far worse defensively is just baffling. He gives the guards free reign to chuck it (Lowry, DeMar, last year Lou and Vasquez too, and before that Anderson, Gay, and JL3), not giving a rats ass about efficiency and ball movement, and his axe to grind with JV. Hell, I believe after game 2 against Washington, Casey let it slip saying he usually blames JV for our problems defensively. JV is our only rebounder and rim protector (not anymore with Biyombo here), and just because his help D sucks ass, he gets benched while our guards allow everyone to blow by them or leave their man open without repercusdions.

Ross, on the other hand, sucks. Lazy, mental midget. Gets lost on D so much and is butter soft, never drawing a foul. He was a gigantic reach where he was picked. Not to mention we passed over Drummond to draft him. If we drafted Drummond like we should've, JV could've been traded for Harden since OKC was rumored to be asking for JV+. If not for Colangelo's stupidity, we could've had a core of Harden (legit superstar) and Drummond (star big man). We could very well be contenders ourselves in this pathetic joke of a conference with that core.

I agree on JV, but I think i'm in the minority on that I still think Ross has more growth. I think he should play SG, not SF, it's not good for him. Also, I'm biased towards Ross because he is really the one SG/SF that has any semblance of a three point shoot. DD can't shoot three and in a three point shooting league now, that makes Ross valuable if he has more consistency in his shoot

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Raptors have solid flexibility going forward. However, DeRozan leaving would be a massive loss to the franchise. They need to find another star player for him to ride shotgun with. Lowry will be in full decline soon with the way he plays.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand

I don't see how Boozer fits in this teams style. He extremely slow compared to Toronto's uptempo style. He has a strong mid range game and solid post game but he's horrid defensively and not a great rebounder anymore.

He's more of a liability now then he's worth. We can't utilize his game with our style of play. Unless we are compleatly going to change the offensive system up?

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
I'm not saying that it's a good idea, but given Casey's body of work, I wouldn't be surprised.

I see what your saying and I do agree that Casey does some weird ****. But I find it hard to believe we stick our first legit SF in some time at PF because we decided to sign and draft 3 point guards.

I still think something will unfold between now and training camp. I still think we find something through the trade route...

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't see how Boozer fits in this teams style. He extremely slow compared to Toronto's uptempo style. He has a strong mid range game and solid post game but he's horrid defensively and not a great rebounder anymore.

He's more of a liability now then he's worth. We can't utilize his game with our style of play. Unless we are compleatly going to change the offensive system up?

Maybe he is plan C or D? Masai possibly has plan A or B before he goes to Boozer.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Maybe he is plan C or D? Masai possibly has plan A or B before he goes to Boozer.

Maybe but that still doesn't change the fact that he is an absoutly horrid fit for our hustle style at both ends.

I liked boozer a few seasons ago he use to be a beast. But he's always been slow now he's morbidly slow...

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Can that be won without a Super Star at least two other Stars and a couple of very good pro's, and a bench of at least three competent NBA players. So were do the Raptors fit in this scenario. :help:

Case in point: 2004 Detroit Pistons, and this is a Lakers fan, saying this. Yes, it's doable.

PS: thanks for Lou Williams. It's going to be nice to see to have Nick Young and Lou Williams in the bench.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
We are no 2004 detroit pistons :(.

It's a different league now then 04. That pistons team was solid. Rasheed Wallace was an absolute beast for them. They also had one of the best defensive centers in Ben Wallace. Prince was a great player at both ends. Rip Hamilton was pretty much a star. Chauncy found his game and was one of the best points in the game. Mcdyess was solid off the bench. They had a bunch of all star quality players no superstar but about 4 solid all-stars quality type players. I never understood why ppl thought they did it as a lunch pail team. Sure they worked hard but they had loads of talent and all were good at both ends of the floor...

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Case in point: 2004 Detroit Pistons, and this is a Lakers fan, saying this. Yes, it's doable.

I really don't like the Pistons' example. Sure, they had no "superstars" in the traditional sense, but they had 5 all-star calibre players in the starting lineup. Ben Wallace was as dominant as they come on the defensive side and rebounding and in my mind was one of the best players in the league in the early 2000's.

It would arguably take much more luck building a roster like that then just pure tanking and grabbing a superstar with a high pick.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

With all the players we've brought in to help defensively, maybe he could get away with not being the best. He still averaged about 7 RPG playing 23 MPG so I wouldn't say he's not a great rebounder anymore.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
It's a different league now then 04. That pistons team was solid. Rasheed Wallace was an absolute beast for them. They also had one of the best defensive centers in Ben Wallace. Prince was a great player at both ends. Rip Hamilton was pretty much a star. Chauncy found his game and was one of the best points in the game. Mcdyess was solid off the bench. They had a bunch of all star quality players no superstar but about 4 solid all-stars quality type players. I never understood why ppl thought they did it as a lunch pail team. Sure they worked hard but they had loads of talent and all were good at both ends of the floor...

Exactly. Plus, their opposition was a beaten up 2004 Laker squad. Beaten up both physically and mentally. All the Kobe/Shaq feud drama holding back the team and Karl Malone getting hurt and Payton being a horrible fit. Oh, and Kobe's rape case didn't help. Some Laker fans even told me that some actively rooted for that team to lose at times with how selfish and dramatic they were. Either way, that's probably Phil Jackson's one greatest coaching accomplishment: getting that mess to the finals.

wulfio*

What offensive system? Give Derozan the ball and let him dribble in to a double team and chuck a brick?

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
What offensive system? Give Derozan the ball and let him dribble in to a double team and chuck a brick?

their more a run team high tempo then the slow it down. Before demar got injured he looked like he turned a corner. He was sharing the ball, rebounding well, taking better looks, recognising the double team and kicking it out. He reverted back to the demar we saw when we had Rudy gay here after he returned from injury . Taking dumb shots, playing hero ball pretty much.

I still have hope for demar he has a lot of skill and works hard to continue to get better. I honestly do wonder how high or maybe the better question would be how low his bb IQ is.

But like I said I still have high hopes for him to finally put it all together hopefully next season.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I see what your saying and I do agree that Casey does some weird ****. But I find it hard to believe we stick our first legit SF in some time at PF because we decided to sign and draft 3 point guards.

I still think something will unfold between now and training camp. I still think we find something through the trade route...

Honestly, if I were to choose from Boozer or Carroll. I'd take Carroll. I hate seeing the team getting out rebounded and seeing blow bys with no rim protection. I just don't think we can land a good enough PF. Taj Gibson would be nice, but how would the trade look like, we don't have much cap room either. DD is going to get blown by, but if we have JJ at SF and Caroll at PF, then I think that could be compensated. Of course, if Masai pulls off a great trade, then all the power to him. But I just think the plan is to play small ball and offloaded Lowry for a young stud to New York or Lakers, then draft other highend prospects with our picks next year. Next year will be better for us IMO.

wulfio*

their more a run team high tempo then the slow it down. Before demar got injured he looked like he turned a corner. He was sharing the ball, rebounding well, taking better looks, recognising the double team and kicking it out. He reverted back to the demar we saw when we had Rudy gay here after he returned from injury . Taking dumb shots, playing hero ball pretty much.

I still have hope for demar he has a lot of skill and works hard to continue to get better. I honestly do wonder how high or maybe the better question would be how low his bb IQ is.

But like I said I still have high hopes for him to finally put it all together hopefully next season.

I take it you didn't watch many games last year.

It was either Derozan, Lou, GV, or Lowry taking turns being the hero. The ball movement might have been pretty good when they first got rid of Gay. But last year the raps had a garbage offense. It was nothing but iso's. It was not a high tempo ball movement game. I don't know what your'e watching, it was only "what duo is going to go off for 60 today".

Derozan is junk anyway. He's a high volume scorer. There's nothing to put together. He doesn't have great skill, or great iq. He relies on getting to the rim and getting to the line from driving. At 25 years old he doesn't have much time left on that style of play. Everyone here talks about Lowry regressing first. Lowry is smart. You're in for a rude awakening when Derozan starts regressing before Lowry.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net

PS: thanks for Lou Williams. It's going to be nice to see to have Nick Young and Lou Williams in the bench.

Having Lou Williams, Nick Young and Kobe is not going to be pretty. Thats three players who's game is purely isos. Opponents are going to be feasting on the missed buckets from those three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino