Raptors Discussion: v53 | Raps' hostage-free FA signings | Joseph/Carroll presser Thu 9th @10am ET/7am PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Not sure we watch the same guy. Demar is quick and athletic enough to guard most in the league. Is he an elite defender? No but I never said that. He is good enough tho and far from bad.....

Would be interesting to see how he stacks up defensively against his peers of his position cause I see nothing special. Agree i guess that he isnt necessarily horrible but id say he is slightly below average.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
This Deandre Jordan fiasco is hilarious. The Clippers have his house surrounded and aren't letting any of the Mavs front office into the house. They won't leave his side til he signs a contract at midnight.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Classless move by DJ, played the mavs like fools, now the mavs can't even go to their backup plan because the other guys have mostly signed as well. If this were a ploy to destroy the mavs then well played Clips well played

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Would be interesting to see how he stacks up defensively against his peers of his position cause I see nothing special. Agree i guess that he isnt necessarily horrible but id say he is slightly below average.

I would say he's about on par with most in his position. He's. Not bad and he's not a lock down defender. I have seen nothing of his game that should make anyone think he's a bad defender.

I did notice that Toronto had more defensive problems when demar went down with the groin strain. Then they did with him pre injury.

Don't just make stuff up tho. Bring numbers if that's the point you want to make. I personally don't think he's. Particularly bad at anything , except maybe his decision making at times on double teams, and his 3 ball. And I think he has improved in all aspects of his game virtually every season.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
cryptic tweet/possible signing alert:

There's our other rotation big, I guess. It's not Terrence Jones or Markieff Morris or anything, but in terms of cheap FA signings he rebounds and defends and should do a good enough job taking the pressure off Patterson.

Valanciunas / Biyombo
Patterson / Scola
Carroll / Johnson
DeRozan / Ross
Lowry / Joseph / Wright

Still a roster spot left to do something like sign Powell or get another 3/4 deep bench reserve (or they could keep DeAndre Daniels in Australia, sign powell to be the 15th contract with Bruno/Nogueira in the d-league, and then sign another roster reserve to that 12 spot. Powell would work though because Ross and DeRozan can also fill in at the 3, Wright is tall enough to guard 2's when on the floor with Joseph/Lowry, and Johnson can slide up and handle 4's)

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Interesting Signing. We'll see if he can regain his form

He's not what he once was (he's 35 now) but he was projected to have an awful season last year and begin his decline, but posted a solid year off the bench for Indy, recording 9.4 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.3 apg. He's not a shot-blocker, but that's what Biyombo is for. Scola's a decent positional defender who can funnel guys towards the swat-machine Biyombo.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He's not what he once was (he's 35 now) but he was projected to have an awful season last year and begin his decline, but posted a solid year off the bench for Indy, recording 9.4 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.3 apg. He's not a shot-blocker, but that's what Biyombo is for. Scola's a decent positional defender who can funnel guys towards the swat-machine Biyombo.

Is our starting 4?

Where does he fit?

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Really don't like this move but I guess there are no other options.

In other news, DeAndre Jordan officially spurns the Mavs and will return to the Clippers. 4 year max deal. :laugh:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Really don't like this move but I guess there are no other options.

The FA market is pretty much dead at this point. ESPN updated their "top FAs available" and had to rework it into player-type classifications because the talent level was so low as to make comparative skill rankings worthless. Their "bigs" section was the already-gonna-sign-in-OKC-but-we-need-list-filler Enes Kanter, the good but not that good ball-dominating-black-hole Kevin Seraphin, the shambling remains of Amare Stoudemire, and uber-bust Cole Aldrich. Scola is lunchbucket and effort and all that instead of pure skill. He's kind of like an older, less athletic Argentinian Amir minus the wonky ankles.

Agreed it's not the best or 2nd best or even 5th-8th best option on pure talent, but for the price it's not awful

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Classless move by DJ, played the mavs like fools, now the mavs can't even go to their backup plan because the other guys have mostly signed as well. If this were a ploy to destroy the mavs then well played Clips well played

The worst part about it is that the Mavs probably don't have any legal recourse because of the stupid moratorium.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The worst part about it is that the Mavs probably don't have any legal recourse because of the stupid moratorium.

There's no legal recourse because there's no official contract agreement. It's barely a handshake. It's not like this isn't the first time someone's reneged on a promise like this (Antonio McDyess did it in the 90s, and IIRC it's not even the 1st time it's happened to Dallas), so they shouldn't have been figuring they were in the clear before Jordan's signature was on the piece of paper.

I also don't think you can call this classless or that Jordan "played" the Clippers. Not unless it comes out that this was his plan all along. We can't just assume that this was an elaborate ploy to wreck Dallas because... well, I don't know exactly why anyone is even assuming that sort of thing since there's no real evidence to support it other than the fact that Jordan backed out on the deal.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Woj confirmation:

Presumably that gives the Raps the tiniest bit of wiggle room left under the cap to either save til the deadline or make one more minimum contract signing (they were reported to have as much as $4m before this, so if Scola comes in <$3m (No typo this time, C4G! :P), they'll have a little over $1m left before the cap.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
I also don't think you can call this classless or that Jordan "played" the Clippers. Not unless it comes out that this was his plan all along. We can't just assume that this was an elaborate ploy to wreck Dallas because... well, I don't know exactly why anyone is even assuming that sort of thing since there's no real evidence to support it other than the fact that Jordan backed out on the deal.

Even if it wasn't an elaborate ploy (I don't think it was), it did royally screw the Mavs and their gameplan. Also, if he's going to renege on a deal, then he should have the courtesy to speak with Cuban directly instead of this house lockdown drama.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

So the Raps will have about $2.6m of cap space left, counting a cap hold to sign (probably) Powell, and 1 other free roster spot presuming that.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Even if it wasn't an elaborate ploy (I don't think it was), it did royally screw the Mavs and their gameplan. Also, if he's going to renege on a deal, then he should have the courtesy to speak with Cuban directly instead of this house lockdown drama.

I was more directing that paragraph at Bloomberg instead of you. I was just too lazy to quote his post :laugh:

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I actually really like the Scola move. Not the groundbreaking 4 we were hoping for, but he effectively replaces Amir.

Ultimate old man game, works hard, sneaky inside and has a half decent face up game. Guaranteed Raptors nation is in love with him 10 games in.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I actually really like the Scola move. Not the groundbreaking 4 we were hoping for, but he effectively replaces Amir.

Ultimate old man game, works hard, sneaky inside and has a half decent face up game. Guaranteed Raptors nation is in love with him 10 games in.

I think that's an underrated thing about the team makeover that is going to help win back fans: This is going to be a team that works. Scola's a hard worker, Carroll is a hard worker, Joseph is a hard worker (you have to be to play for Pop), for all his limitations, Biyombo seems like a high-energy guy who will be all over the interior. We already know that Lowry is a bulldog. Patterson is a hard-working, flexible player. For all the bagging on him, DeMar is a very hard worker too. This is going to be a team that forces you to bust your ass to beat them instead of one that just jacks up shots and tries to bury you in a hail of jumpers. Dropping Lou and Greivis for hustle/interior guys like Scola/Carroll/Biyombo and a slasher like Joseph also means that they're gonna force the roster into an offensive style that looks for better inside shots instead of chucking.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
This is the team you expect to be built when you have a defensive coach like Casey.

The team we had last season, wasn't playing to his strengths, which is defense.

I like the Scola signing. Only a 1 year deal, the worst that happens is like Nem said, he comes off the bench as a security role with PPat. I don't mind P Pat getting a bigger role. He's shown a lot of growth since he's come to Toronto and he'll give JV come room down low.

Scola is a solid defender, good rebounder, a good hustler, and he's got a good touch around the net. He's a savvy vet, and he's coming cheaper then David West would have, which they probably would've brought similar skill set with Scola IMO being a better defender.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
The back-up unit looks like it will have spacing and scoring problems but I do like the spacing starters will provide.

Let JV suck up the paint and now there will be multiple threats at the 3 point line with Carroll, PPat and Lowry. Maybe the new spacing will allow DeMar to get the ball in more post-up situations which would be better for him.

I'm glad this roster isn't stuck with a ton of salary and term just in case things don't work out. Hopefully the roster can build on last year and actually make some noise in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->