Raptors Discussion: v53 | Raps' hostage-free FA signings | Joseph/Carroll presser Thu 9th @10am ET/7am PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Having Lou Williams, Nick Young and Kobe is not going to be pretty. Thats three players who's game is purely isos. Opponents are going to be feasting on the missed buckets from those three.

They'd be a good team if you could play with 3 balls on the court at once. :sarcasm:

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Honestly, if I were to choose from Boozer or Carroll. I'd take Carroll. I hate seeing the team getting out rebounded and seeing blow bys with no rim protection. I just don't think we can land a good enough PF. Taj Gibson would be nice, but how would the trade look like, we don't have much cap room either. DD is going to get blown by, but if we have JJ at SF and Caroll at PF, then I think that could be compensated. Of course, if Masai pulls off a great trade, then all the power to him. But I just think the plan is to play small ball and offloaded Lowry for a young stud to New York or Lakers, then draft other highend prospects with our picks next year. Next year will be better for us IMO.

Demar is not a bad defender. Don't look at 1playoff round to judge the team. Our biggest problem on the defensive end was there was no rotating the bigs just seemed to be standing still. We didn't get into the passing lanes.

Though the way the wiz played would have deflated anyone. The shots they made with a hand in their faces was crazy. They moved the ball around like the spurs when they beat the heat.

It was unlucky we meet a hot team who would have probably suprised a lot of teams with how they came out in that first round..

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Having Lou Williams, Nick Young and Kobe is not going to be pretty. Thats three players who's game is purely isos. Opponents are going to be feasting on the missed buckets from those three.

Thanks to Jalen Rose, Kobe Bryant pretty much had to suffer with Achilles issues. But yeah, that's gonna get capitalized on, to the point I much rather have one of each at a time.

They'd be a good team if you could play with 3 balls on the court at once. :sarcasm:

Too much egos for one's liking.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Demar is not a bad defender. Don't look at 1playoff round to judge the team. Our biggest problem on the defensive end was there was no rotating the bigs just seemed to be standing still. We didn't get into the passing lanes.

Though the way the wiz played would have deflated anyone. The shots they made with a hand in their faces was crazy. They moved the ball around like the spurs when they beat the heat.

It was unlucky we meet a hot team who would have probably suprised a lot of teams with how they came out in that first round..

In what sense is demar a good defender?

He seems to really lack lateral quickness and as a result is easily burned on drives to the basket.

All in all, demar is extremely overrated by some here..

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
DeAndre Jordan might back out of his verbal agreement with the Mavs. What a circus.

From RealGM:

1331819640892564325.png

:laugh:

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
He certainly doesn't "suck" but he will be overpaid, like every other NBA player this offseason.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Hopefully this will get NBA to change its dumb rule of players not "officially" signing until July 9th.

Maybe figure out what the cap is too before FA opens...

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Pierce tweeted a picture of an Emoji. :laugh:

Paul Pierce doesn't get the kids these days with their tweeters and their myspace pages and their choice of EA and 2k basketball games. When Paul Pierce was a kid your choice was that you played Jordan vs Bird on the NES or you went to the arcade and played NBA Jam. And if you wanted to tell someone about your lunch, you'd pick up a telephone with a cord that goes into the wall, call your friend by remembering the individual #s, and then have them hang up on you because calling to say "hey, I just had a ham & cheese for lunch" was a stupid waste of time. :sarcasm:

and now he's gonna go tell Griffin/Reddick/Paul to get off his lawn.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Paul Pierce doesn't get the kids these days with their tweeters and their myspace pages and their choice of EA and 2k basketball games. When Paul Pierce was a kid your choice was that you played Jordan vs Bird on the NES or you went to the arcade and played NBA Jam. And if you wanted to tell someone about your lunch, you'd pick up a telephone with a cord that goes into the wall, call your friend by remembering the individual #s, and then have them hang up on you because calling to say "hey, I just had a ham & cheese for lunch" was a stupid waste of time. :sarcasm:

and now he's gonna go tell Griffin/Reddick/Paul to get off his lawn.

He just doesn't have the IT factor.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
In what sense is demar a good defender?

He seems to really lack lateral quickness and as a result is easily burned on drives to the basket.

All in all, demar is extremely overrated by some here..

Not sure we watch the same guy. Demar is quick and athletic enough to guard most in the league. Is he an elite defender? No but I never said that. He is good enough tho and far from bad.....

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Not sure we watch the same guy. Demar is quick and athletic enough to guard most in the league. Is he an elite defender? No but I never said that. He is good enough tho and far from bad.....

He's a good fundamental defender. Meanwhile, I hate Lowry's D and how he gambles for steals against blown by so many times.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Three realistic power forward options

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/07/08/three-realistic-power-forward-options/

Terrence Jones

There have been no strong links between Terrence Jones and the Raptors, but if there’s a way to land the Rockets’ forward, the Raptors could find their starting power forward for years to come. Jones is a mobile big who does well on defensive rotations and does a decent job on the glass. His downfall is that he’s a below average 3-point (35.1%) and free-throw (60%) shooter. Jones only played 27 mpg last season, but as a starter, he could easily be a 15-10 guy.

Jones has a really solid interior game offensively. He can finish inside and has an explosive first step which catches opposing power forwards off guard. He has an insane 7’2 wingspan, works his tail off, and is a menace when it comes to cleaning up the rim and getting offensive put-backs.

Although his three-point shooting isn’t exactly feared – Jones can still stretch the floor and draw out interior defenders. Plus, his shot is something that can still be worked on. If Amir Johnson can develop a three-point shot seemingly over the course of a season as a starting power forward, it’s not far-fetched to think a young player who already has the mechanics, to improve into a respectable three-point threat.

Houston already has another great prospect in Donatas Motiejunas at the four, which makes Jones more expendable. But realistically, what do the Raptors have to offer the Rockets? The Rockets will be looking to strengthen their back-court. They need a shooter / scorer-type player who can fill in to take pressure off Harden, and score when Harden is on the bench.

The Raptors have no such player that is expendable, really. Unless you’re willing to package fresh meat like Delon Wright or future draft picks, I don’t think Houston even looks at the offer sheet. Theoretically, a straight up Luke Ridnour + Delon Wright for Terrence Jones would work, but the chances of Houston taking it seriously are slim.

To remind you, here is what the Raptors have in terms of draft picks.

2016 1st round draft pick from New York (worse of Denver/New York)
2017 1st round draft pick from Los Angeles (via Milwaukee Vasquez Trade)
2017 2nd round draft pick from New York (Bargnani trade)

The 2016 pick is an absolute gold mine. The Knicks are going to be awful – again. That’s a potential lottery pick right there. The other two picks are in the air at this point, but I imagine both will be high. The only circumstance where Masai Ujiri should trade the 2016 pick is to acquire a bonafide star. Anything less would be a waste of assets. I don’t believe Masai will touch that pick unless it’s truly a profitable return.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I'd be huge on board the Terrence Jones hype train. And I agree with basically everything written there.

Maybe they find a way to get him by offering up their own 2016 1st and that Lakers-via-Bucks 1st in 2017 with Ridnour's contract (in essence giving them a little extra savings when they cut Ridnour before Saturday or Sunday or whenever that deadline is)

The Rockets' only real position of need is PG, but we have nothing to really offer them that would be enticing. With 2 1sts and some extra cap savings maybe they could then find a way to turn those assets around into the PG they need somewhere else.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I'd be huge on board the Terrence Jones hype train. And I agree with basically everything written there.

Maybe they find a way to get him by offering up their own 2016 1st and that Lakers-via-Bucks 1st in 2017 with Ridnour's contract (in essence giving them a little extra savings when they cut Ridnour before Saturday or Sunday or whenever that deadline is)

The Rockets' only real position of need is PG, but we have nothing to really offer them that would be enticing. With 2 1sts and some extra cap savings maybe they could then find a way to turn those assets around into the PG they need somewhere else.

I've seen you mention him in some of your posts but 2 firsts seem like a little over payment, maybe a 1st and a second with Ridnour would swing it, especially since as the article says, they have a replacement in Prospect Donatas Motiejunas.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
I've seen you mention him in some of your posts but 2 firsts seem like a little over payment, maybe a 1st and a second with Ridnour would swing it, especially since as the article says, they have a replacement in Prospect Donatas Motiejunas.

That doesn't make Jones any less valuable. Not sure why the Rockets would give him away for a late 1st.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008

Big fan of Jones as well. Maybe we can swing a three team deal with Denver involving Lawson to the Rockets.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
That doesn't make Jones any less valuable. Not sure why the Rockets would give him away for a late 1st.

No it doesn't but 1st picks are valuable, if perhaps we have to use one, if say one of our players has an injury, or even to trade up in the draft to get a player, that will be a great piece we can use, in the future however we would have to see just what the the Rockets want to trade him and it might just be 2 firsts.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
No it doesn't but 1st picks are valuable, if perhaps we have to use one, if say one of our players has an injury, or even to trade up in the draft to get a player, that will be a great piece we can use, in the future however we would have to see just what the the Rockets want to trade him and it might just be 2 firsts.

I think some of our 1sts are expendable. We have 4 in the next 2 years. I'm pretty sure the extra 2017 1st is from the Clippers and not the Lakers, which makes it less appealing. I'd be more than willing to part with a couple (apart from the NYK/DEN one) if we're getting a young piece like Jones back.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I think some of our 1sts are expendable. We have 4 in the next 2 years. I'm pretty sure the extra 2017 1st is from the Clippers and not the Lakers, which makes it less appealing. I'd be more than willing to part with a couple (apart from the NYK/DEN one) if we're getting a young piece like Jones back.

If they want 2 firsts and Ridnour's contract, that would be the price, I'm not too familiar with Jones but he is a 23 year old player that could be our PF for many years and I would be on board with that deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille