Raptors Discussion: v52 | Yep...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebel111*

I like though that Masai isn't just messing around. He didn't just let anyone have a free pass for the season after a terrible ending and hence 2 assistants are gone.

If this was the Leafs, GM would just likely keep the team in tact based on the record

changes are starting

hdtrax

I wonder if the Raps play out like the Leafs have the last 3 years..

Epic collapse in playoffs, followed by an off season of big changes. A disappointing season comes and goes. Carlyle's assistants all get reshuffled before the start of the next season and he's out of a job by January.

Hmm.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Any draft talk?

Hoping we grab Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. He could come in and contribute right away due to his defense. It would be nice to potentially have our own homegrown Tony Allen type player for the future.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm not a fan of Hollis-Jefferson. The league is replete with exactly that kind of tall, lanky, hyper-athletic-but-no-shot wing player who very quickly finds that he can't just turn on the jets and slice to the basket the way he can in college. I'm not saying that's all he is and that he will bust, but for me there are exactly 3 kinds of players that are always significant risks at the draft: 1) the undersized "combo guard" that's always a bad euphimism for a SG in a PG's body who can't facilitate and thinks he's Allen Iverson pt 2. 2) the "raw" C who's freakishly tall and probably athletic, but also likely didn't start playing basketball until he was a teenager and has absolutely no idea what to do on the court besides stand under the hoop with his arms up or get his offence on garbage buckets and putback dunks. and 3) the hyper-athletic wing with no jump shot whose entire offensive profile is built on his athletic gifts and a slashing mindset.

If we're going to get an athlete who can't shot well, I'm really warming up to Montrezl Harrel. He's slightly taller and a lot thicker than Hollis-Jefferson, is a natural 4 with an improving shot and the athleticism and defensive effort to guard the 3 or small-ball 5s, is just as capable of being explosive in getting up the court or playing above the basket, and is said to have a great motor, vocal potential leadership ability, and emerging passing skills. Hell, I even saw one scout quoted in Chad Ford's last prospect ranking say that Harrel could be a Ben Wallace type. I think that lunchbucket interior player would work well for this team to plug into the space being vacated by Amir (not necessarily as a starting 4, but as a heart-and-soul frontcourt player like Amir has been). Put him and JJ on the court at the same time and watch them lock it down.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
I'm not a fan of Hollis-Jefferson. The league is replete with exactly that kind of tall, lanky, hyper-athletic-but-no-shot wing player who very quickly finds that he can't just turn on the jets and slice to the basket the way he can in college. I'm not saying that's all he is and that he will bust, but for me there are exactly 3 kinds of players that are always significant risks at the draft: 1) the undersized "combo guard" that's always a bad euphimism for a SG in a PG's body who can't facilitate and thinks he's Allen Iverson pt 2. 2) the "raw" C who's freakishly tall and probably athletic, but also likely didn't start playing basketball until he was a teenager and has absolutely no idea what to do on the court besides stand under the hoop with his arms up or get his offence on garbage buckets and putback dunks. and 3) the hyper-athletic wing with no jump shot whose entire offensive profile is built on his athletic gifts and a slashing mindset.

If we're going to get an athlete who can't shot well, I'm really warming up to Montrezl Harrel. He's slightly taller and a lot thicker than Hollis-Jefferson, is a natural 4 with an improving shot and the athleticism and defensive effort to guard the 3 or small-ball 5s, is just as capable of being explosive in getting up the court or playing above the basket, and is said to have a great motor, vocal potential leadership ability, and emerging passing skills. Hell, I even saw one scout quoted in Chad Ford's last prospect ranking say that Harrel could be a Ben Wallace type. I think that lunchbucket interior player would work well for this team to plug into the space being vacated by Amir (not necessarily as a starting 4, but as a heart-and-soul frontcourt player like Amir has been). Put him and JJ on the court at the same time and watch them lock it down.

Also a fan of Harrel. But I don't think he'll transition well to the NBA. Think Quincy Acy. If we were to draft RHJ it wouldn't be for his offense. His defense is his calling card. He isn't just a freak athlete. He's arguably top 3 defensive players in the draft.

Also would be happy with Justin Anderson.

Last edited:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I like though that Masai isn't just messing around. He didn't just let anyone have a free pass for the season after a terrible ending and hence 2 assistants are gone.

If this was the Leafs, GM would just likely keep the team in tact based on the record

changes are starting

What? The Leafs pointlessly fired assistant coaches last offseason as a way to deflect blame off a wasted season.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
That's why I don't like basketball so much. One guy can impact a team so much. Deep down we all knew that nobody had much of a chance against Cleveland with LBJ once we got into the playoffs. How do you compete with that? It's not like there are a few LBJ's around that you can get. How many years in a row a team that had LBJ went to the Finals?

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
That's why I don't like basketball so much. One guy can impact a team so much. Deep down we all knew that nobody had much of a chance against Cleveland with LBJ once we got into the playoffs. How do you compete with that? It's not like there are a few LBJ's around that you can get. How many years in a row a team that had LBJ went to the Finals?

Go look at the past 5 years and see the two teams who've made the finals. Kobe, Duncan, Durant, Lebron. Its a superstars league. You will not win a championship without one. Look at whats happening to Atlanta, who is essentially a better, more refined version of us.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
I wonder if the Raps play out like the Leafs have the last 3 years..

Epic collapse in playoffs, followed by an off season of big changes. A disappointing season comes and goes. Carlyle's assistants all get reshuffled before the start of the next season and he's out of a job by January.

Hmm.

If so, I can't wait for the part where Pops replaces Casey.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Is it just me but this reminds me the shades of carlyle's assistants getting fired but carlyle being safe and then boom by mid season he's gone too lol.

Also for the off season whats the goal now then?

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Honestly this teams core isnt good enough to win tbh. Id give DeRozan a year or 2 more to show he is a top 5/7 SF/SG but right now he isnt. Last years .413 FG% was dreadful and Lowry year was brutal aswell. There is not a single player on this team that i wouldnt consider dealing.

The good thing is there is 17M available this offseason.

PG - Lowry / Vazquez
SG -
SF - Derozan / Ross
PF - / Pat Pete / JJ
C - Jonas

The main holes are SG and PF. Personally, id take Robert Upshaw, yes he has problems off the court, but his potential is DeAndre Jordan. Another option is Kevon Looney who can play anywhere from 2-4, and is a good jump shooter and rebounder.

Wesley Matthews - The player the Raptors hope Ross can be, a great shooter and would be ideal for the 2 or 3 spot. Would probably cost 8-10M. Leaving another 7-9M left.

Amare / Javale McGee ->Amare as a backup PF/C. Most likely be a MLE, McGee would be another option here because of his history with Masai.

Ed Davis - Has familiarity with the team and might not be kept by the Lakers, who will most likely want to clear up as much cap as they can for 2 top end FAs.

PG - Lowry / Vazquez
SG - Matthews / Ross
SF - Derozan / Looney
PF - Ed Davis / Pat Pete / JJ
C - Jonas / Amare or McGee / Bebe

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
So...offer sheeting Tristan this summer seems like a given, no?

5 years, $75M. Make Cleveland match.

too many holes on this team to give a average offensive, above average rebounder 15M a year. Should be aiming for Matthews @ 8-10M a year, 6-7M on a PF/C, an MLE on a established veteran and aim for potential in the draft(1st round Upshaw, Looney, Wood).

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
The cap is on its way up, my friend.

Doesnt matter, its pretty evident what it is for the next 2 years. In the 2015-2016 season offseason Raps could have 50M available depending on who they sign this offseason. Also Demar may opt out that year...so Masai has to prepare for next offseason thru this offseason

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Trade Lowry to the Kings for 6th and pick Winslow or Hezonja. If your moving lowry, you might as well move Derozan at the same time before he opts out. Maybe to the Suns for their pick plus or to the pistons for 8th.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Why would we move Lowry? :help:

It just depends on the direction you want to go. If you believe in Lowry and Derozan as your guys, than by all means, add to them. I'm of the believe that these two aren't at that level to win a championship with. So a rebuild would be a better option IMO. Say two top ten picks this year, and another two next year with our pick and the Denver/Knicks pick.

mikebel111*

It just depends on the direction you want to go. If you believe in Lowry and Derozan as your guys, than by all means, add to them. I'm of the believe that these two aren't at that level to win a championship with. So a rebuild would be a better option IMO. Say two top ten picks this year, and another two next year with our pick and the Denver/Knicks pick.

I don't even know what to say to this:shakehead

A rebuild? We made the playoffs 2 straight years and yes last season was a regression year, but come on rebuild? Man am I glad Masai is the GM

You can win with Lowry and DD and no proof you cant. Add to them.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Sign Tobias Harris and bring in Thompson and pray Lowry and Derozan can start hitting the 3 ball.

Lowry
Derozan
Harris
Thompson
Valaciunas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad