Raptors Discussion: v52 | Yep...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
McGee is dumb as a sack of doorknobs. I would not want him. There's a reason that the sad-sack 6ers cut him a couple weeks after the Nuggets paid them a 1st rounder to take him in exchange for the rights to a largely mean-nothing 2nd rounder who will probably never leave Turkey. And that reason isn't because McGee would've made them a better team and sabotaged their tank.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I don't even know what to say to this:shakehead

A rebuild? We made the playoffs 2 straight years and yes last season was a regression year, but come on rebuild? Man am I glad Masai is the GM

You can win with Lowry and DD and no proof you cant. Add to them.

Making the playoffs 2 straight years in the east

resized_all-the-things-meme-generator-thank-you-for-participating-in-all-the-things-7492c7.jpg

You can win with Lowry and DD? Sure you can as long as the opposition doesn't have a good PG who can force Lowry to play defense. In case you forget the Raptors got fire bombed in the playoffs by a team coached by Randy Wittman.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Can the Masaiah please go and sign Thibs. I've had enough of Casey. Would be a great for Toronto sports teams if they could get Babcock and Thibs in one year.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
I never said it before, but that ASG logo is pretty sweet.

The idea of rebuilds have gotten so ubiquitous that we now have people believing that a team should do a rebuild even if it just lost in a conference final (this is not a literal, specific example. It's just a generalization of the kinds of rebuild commitments I tend to see creeping up among random fans). It's almost gotten to the point that you only have two options: win a championship right now, or rebuild. With no in-between.

I don't think this is necessarily true. If you believe you have a player that you can win with as your go to guy, then you build around him and add. Some people believe in Lowry and Derozan as our 'guys'. I for one don't. We may be a pretty good team with them but we will never win a championship with them as the guys.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Derozan is a great 1B but not "the guy"

Outside of getting to the free throw line, demar leaves a lot to be desired with regards to his game.

Two of the main aspects being his poor shooting and poor defense.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
I never said it before, but that ASG logo is pretty sweet.

The idea of rebuilds have gotten so ubiquitous that we now have people believing that a team should do a rebuild even if it just lost in a conference final (this is not a literal, specific example. It's just a generalization of the kinds of rebuild commitments I tend to see creeping up among random fans). It's almost gotten to the point that you only have two options: win a championship right now, or rebuild. With no in-between.
Depends, did the team just lose in the eastern conference final ;)?

I want the raptors to rebuild because I don't see a team being lead by Lowry and derozan and coached by Casey as being any sort of threat.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Outside of getting to the free throw line, demar leaves a lot to be desired with regards to his game.

Two of the main aspects being his poor shooting and poor defense.

His defense is average. Honestly, he's a very fundamentally sound defender that keeps his guy in front of him more often than not. Unless his name is D-Wade, it's hard to have a 2 in todays game that can't shoot 3's very well. DeMar's better off as a 3 IMO. Much rather get a 3 and D guy who can play both wing spots to complement DeMar.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
His defense is average. Honestly, he's a very fundamentally sound defender that keeps his guy in front of him more often than not. Unless his name is D-Wade, it's hard to have a 2 in todays game that can't shoot 3's very well. DeMar's better off as a 3 IMO. Much rather get a 3 and D guy who can play both wing spots to complement DeMar.

His foot speed and agility are pretty poor IMO which limits his effectiveness against any sort of player with good handles and decent speed.

Him not being able to shoot the 3 is alao a huge problem like you mentioned. Hell, his ability to shoot the ball at all is a big problem. He's not bad by any means but he's certainly not what I would call a good shooter.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
We need a superstar on the team. Like somebody said, Derozan/Lowry are good 1B guys, but not THE guys. Durant would look mighty fine on this team :D

Lowry
DeRozan
Durant
X
Valanciunas

Vasquez
Lou
Patterson
J. Johnson
Hansbrough

Nogeuira, Cobaclo, ...

LeafsSkull

May 21, 2015
Toronto
Yup, it's much smaller than, say, RealGM (I usually have at least 100 posts more than the next guy in this thread and sometimes feel like I'm the only one that posts here :laugh:).

And yes, I recognize you :naughty:

Realgm s/o :yo:

Cool fam! nonetheless I'm here to lurk for leafs news :)

Slowly crawling back into the shadow :)

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Ed Davis, Marcus Thornton, Wayne Ellington, Gerald Green, Marco Belinelli, Cole Aldrich, Alexis Ajincia, Cole Aldrich, Omer Asik should be the targets this offseason.

Signing Wes Matthews is a need or someone like him/Butler etc. Ed Davis should really be looked at, hes young and does everything Amir does.
Maybe even bring Cory Joseph in, if Masai can get rid of Vazquez, good Canadian boy who is a good all around PG. We arent going to replace Lou's 6th man but hopefully Ross can turn into a good 6th man.

Also hope Masai goes after Boban Marjanovic, really good player and was recently named MVP of euro league.

Looney Toonies

May 30, 2012
Canada
Realgm s/o :yo:

Cool fam! nonetheless I'm here to lurk for leafs news :)

Slowly crawling back into the shadow :)

Wouldn't happen to be Bruno instead of Leafs would it? If so :handclap:

Ed Davis, Marcus Thornton, Wayne Ellington, Gerald Green, Marco Belinelli, Cole Aldrich, Alexis Ajincia, Cole Aldrich, Omer Asik should be the targets this offseason.

Signing Wes Matthews is a need or someone like him/Butler etc. Ed Davis should really be looked at, hes young and does everything Amir does.
Maybe even bring Cory Joseph in, if Masai can get rid of Vazquez, good Canadian boy who is a good all around PG. We arent going to replace Lou's 6th man but hopefully Ross can turn into a good 6th man.

Also hope Masai goes after Boban Marjanovic, really good player and was recently named MVP of euro league.

Eddie D and Gerald Green if the interest was mutual. I don't think Asik comes here as he'll most likely garner too much interest from other teams.

What do you think of Millsap? If we were going to continue to add instead of rebuild I would love to have him on the Raps.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto

Eddie D and Gerald Green if the interest was mutual. I don't think Asik comes here as he'll most likely garner too much interest from other teams.

What do you think of Millsap? If we were going to continue to add instead of rebuild I would love to have him on the Raps.

Agreed on Millsap. If we do decide to proceed with this core, he would be a big addition to our line up. Then upgrade the SF spot and we have a really good starting 5.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007

IMO the 2 holes on this team are PF & SG/SF. TRoss should be #6th man. Raptors will have about 18M available in cap space this offseason if they let everyone walk.
I dont think Millisap is an option, as he will get around 17M- max deal. Realistically if Raps wanna fill those two holes, theyll have to split the 18M between the 2. Millsap is the best PF behind Aldridge and Love. Those 3 and Thompson will get paid. Honestly PF market is pretty weak, best option would be to deal for Faried by giving up Ross +, then replacing Ross via FA

Some Options at SG/SF:($8M-9M or less)
Wes Matthews
Khris Middleton
Iman Shumpert
JR Smith
DeMarre Carroll

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Danny Green/Khris Middleton for SG(All Good shooter all around and good defender)
Carroll/Tobias Harris for SF(All Good shooters, but not from 3)
Kenneth Faried/Thad Young or Brandon Bass for PF.(All Good in the paint and athletic)

A decision needs to be made about TRoss, is he gonna be a starter or bench player? Do you trust him or not? If not deal him + for Faried? Grab Danny Green as a 6th man and Harris or Carroll at SF

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Making the playoffs 2 straight years in the east

resized_all-the-things-meme-generator-thank-you-for-participating-in-all-the-things-7492c7.jpg

You can win with Lowry and DD? Sure you can as long as the opposition doesn't have a good PG who can force Lowry to play defense. In case you forget the Raptors got fire bombed in the playoffs by a team coached by Randy Wittman.

We got out played and out coached. I blame that playoff loss on Casey, his assistants caught the full brunt of the blame tho. The fact remains you have just as good a chance of winning with Lowry and Derozan as you do with most of the other back courts in the league. Toronto's main problem was not having a reliable 3 or 4 to put on the floor.

There is a ton of cap space this season, I would expect an upgrade at both Small Forward and Power Forward. I am not sure what your talking about when you say the team needs to rebuild? They just set a franchise record for wins in a season, regardless what happened in the playoffs the team is owed at least 1 more chance to show they are legit.

Masi will hopefully work his magic and bring in some much needed help but we also need a legit backup C. What ever other trades happen in the off season who cares, I have faith in what he's looking to do and with all the cap space freed up this summer he's got a golden opportunity to make some serious noise through free agency and trade.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Danny Green/Khris Middleton for SG(All Good shooter all around and good defender)
Carroll/Tobias Harris for SF(All Good shooters, but not from 3)
Kenneth Faried/Thad Young or Brandon Bass for PF.(All Good in the paint and athletic)

A decision needs to be made about TRoss, is he gonna be a starter or bench player? Do you trust him or not? If not deal him + for Faried? Grab Danny Green as a 6th man and Harris or Carroll at SF

IMO the Raps need to go out and grab Tobias Harris, this guy does everything well, he had good numbers at the 3, he rebounds well, scores inside well, defends well and is loved by his coaching staff and teammates .

Bringing in someone like Millsap would be great because he could space the floor out a bit for guys like KL who likes to drive the lane, but bringing in someone like Taj would also be good for the raps, good rebounder, good down low presence, great defensive anchor, decent midrange. Good team guy who plays with spirit.

I think there may be a trade to free up more cap space with the likes of moving Vasquez or maybe Ross out.

Targets I would be looking at for the backup spot would be:

Rodney Stuckey - He played amazing this past season in Indiana, Didn't resemble the player he was in Det at all. If Toronto could bring him in at a reasonable price he's someone they should look at imo.

Aaron Brooks - Good scoring PG, is able to hit the 3 at an extremely high rate and launches about or close to 4 a game.

Jeremy Lin - won't get near or at least shouldn't get close to his 8+ million dollar contract. Lin competes at both ends of the floor, he's a good 3 point shooter and involves his team in the play more so then the previous two mentioned. He plays the passing lanes well and gets his share of steals. Probably better defensively then he's been given credit for but he's a pretty well rounded PG.

As for PF's who I would target.

LaMarcus Aldridge - Break the bank on this guy if you could get him. Probably the best PF in the game today, can do it all. But it's not like you guys need an interdiction to this guy. He should have been a Raptor his draft year instead our incompetent management picked Andrea.... great pick. (Rumors are swirling that he could be ready to move on from Portland. Another disappointing playoffs may have sealed his fate.)

Paul Millsap - Probably the second best option for the Raps. He's a good scorer, good rebounder, good defensive player and good team player. He understands the game, reconized the play knows then to kick it out off the double team and he's just what the Raptors need. ( Going to be tough getting him out of Atlanta)

There are some RFA the raprots could also target such as:

Tristan Thompson - The Cavs are going to be pushing to resign Love, and if the raps swoop in offering a decent chunk of change they would probably walk away with Trist. He's better then his numbers look this season, works hard on the glass, a good mid range and can score in close. Is a aggressive shot blocker, his playoff numbers show what he's capable of when given the chance. He's still young and would fit right into the culture of Toronto. He's defiantly someone Massi will be looking at with an offer sheet.

Bismack Biyombo - though listed as a centre could be a pretty good pf imo. He's quick, has long arms, a defensive aggressor, fierce shot blocker, aggressive rebounder and he's not even 23 years old yet. He's probably never going to go out and score you 20 a game, but in his prime he could easily be a 8 10ppg, 10-15 boards a game. 1.5 - 2 blocks a game type player. He's getting under 20 mins a game with the Hornets, but he's probably going to be harder to get then Thompson and imo not nearly as much potential as Thompson.

Looney Toonies

May 30, 2012
Canada
IMO the 2 holes on this team are PF & SG/SF. TRoss should be #6th man. Raptors will have about 18M available in cap space this offseason if they let everyone walk.
I dont think Millisap is an option, as he will get around 17M- max deal. Realistically if Raps wanna fill those two holes, theyll have to split the 18M between the 2. Millsap is the best PF behind Aldridge and Love. Those 3 and Thompson will get paid. Honestly PF market is pretty weak, best option would be to deal for Faried by giving up Ross +, then replacing Ross via FA

Some Options at SG/SF:($8M-9M or less)
Wes Matthews
Khris Middleton
Iman Shumpert
JR Smith
DeMarre Carroll

IMO the + with TRoss would be a pretty substantial + he just seems to not have what it takes to get to the next level. After his first season I had such high hopes but last year it just seemed that he lost his defensive game altogether. His 3FG% went down and he just refuses to drive the basketball EVER.

TT would be an awesome get but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he doesn't want to play for TO due to the pressure it would put on him.

If the raps intend to run with the current group and see what kind of noise they can make they should move heaven and earth to get DeAndre Jordan. JV and him would be a dream pairing up front. Not sure how it could be attained or if Jordan is a FA this year or the next but that would be drool worthy if JV breaks out/is allowed to play more than 20mins.

Also have had my eye on Carroll, he does everything well.

Last edited:

LeafsSkull

May 21, 2015
Toronto

:naughty:

+1 for Millsap

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
If the raps intend to run with the current group and see what kind of noise they can make they should move heaven and earth to get DeAndre Jordan. JV and him would be a dream pairing up front. Not sure how it could be attained or if Jordan is a FA this year or the next but that would be drool worthy if JV breaks out/is allowed to play more than 20mins.

JV and DeAndre would be a nightmare pairing. Neither can stretch the floor or have the handles to play the 4.

And last I checked, he was seeking a max deal from the Clippers (5 yrs/$100 million).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->