USA WJC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
You'd be surprised. There was a report out somewhere a long time ago with an american player who ended up chosing the CHL over NCAA and he was talking about his pro and cons list, and that was definitly on there.

Also I said it isn't the right way to pick the team, but the USA brass is doing it to pimp the NCAA system there is no question about it.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
I'm surprised Mitera and Summers aren't there, but perhaps there was some behind the scenes goings on from the Michigan coaching staff? Big Red step in? I heard rumblings of Jack Johnson not exactly enamored with going to the WJC's this year, so perhaps there had to be tradeoff to get him on the team?

Jack was already asked the question last month during a CSTV chat and has said it won't be a problem this year. It was last year that Red had to give Jack a nudge to go to the WJC because he really wanted to play in the Great Lakes Invitational.

As for the coaching staff stepping in to prevent others from going, highly highly highly unlikely. Red has always encouraged the kids to go if they get selected, and last year four Wolverines made the tournament. He can find a way to fill the holes while they're gone...that's never been a problem.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
You'd be surprised. There was a report out somewhere a long time ago with an american player who ended up chosing the CHL over NCAA and he was talking about his pro and cons list, and that was definitly on there.

Also I said it isn't the right way to pick the team, but the USA brass is doing it to pimp the NCAA system there is no question about it.

If thats the case, why are CHLers Sean Zimmerman and Pat Kane on the roster? Especially Zimmerman over Michael Sauer looks strange to me.

I mean, from a USA Hockey point of view there is a point in picking NCAA players over CHL americans, but when you pick some CHLers, you'd go for the best players, no?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jack was already asked the question last month during a CSTV chat and has said it won't be a problem this year. It was last year that Red had to give Jack a nudge to go to the WJC because he really wanted to play in the Great Lakes Invitational.

As for the coaching staff stepping in to prevent others from going, highly highly highly unlikely. Red has always encouraged the kids to go if they get selected, and last year four Wolverines made the tournament. He can find a way to fill the holes while they're gone...that's never been a problem.

I knew it was a stretch. Thanks for the clarification.

ajsonor

Jun 11, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
If USA Hockey's job was to pick the best team, why are people upset that they left off some "star" players who might have egos and a sense of entitlement. Herb Brooks built the best TEAM by not taking all the best players...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
USA shuns the CHL kids for all the right political reasons... what would keep young american hockey players from going into the CHL if half of team USA was in the CHL. It would really hurt the gollege level hockey in the usa. No doubt with more games in a season, and having free schooling while your on the team, makes the CHL more sexy. If a kid has dreams of playing for team USA he's afraid to goto the CHL, thats what USA Hockey wants.

It sucks but they have to do it.

I'm not sure that's the right way to frame it. The USA Hockey brass is made up of individuals closely associated with the NCAA/USNTDP. It's natural that the players chosen fit that profile. The real concern is: Are there players from the CHL that are superior/better fits? That's hard to say until the tournament starts. I'm not sure that the addition of guys like Foligno, Sauer, and Ryan are significant enough to mean the differance between winning and losing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If USA Hockey's job was to pick the best team, why are people upset that they left off some "star" players who might have egos and a sense of entitlement. Herb Brooks built the best TEAM by not taking all the best players...

That's a fair point. With all of the bellyaching going on about player selection is anyone willing to comment on the possibility that guys like Ryan, Sanguinetti, and Sauer aren't exactly lighting the world on fire right now?

Here's a recent report (fairly negative) on Sauer and Sanguinetti: http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=9270

It's also no secret that Ryan's had his issues this year.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
That's a fair point. With all of the bellyaching going on about player selection is anyone willing to comment on the possibility that guys like Ryan, Sanguinetti, and Sauer aren't exactly lighting the world on fire right now?

Here's a recent report (fairly negative) on Sauer and Sanguinetti: http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=9270

It's also no secret that Ryan's had his issues this year.

1. I might buy that argument on Sanguinetti if he had actually been invited to the evaluation camp. But considering that USA hockey didn't even see fit to take a look at him over a week long camp in august, I don't think it had anything to do with his defensive responcibility.

2. I love lesile, but I don't know where she is coming from on Sauer. Sauer was drafted for his offnesive abilities? that is the first time I've ever heard that said. Ever since he was drafted the MO on Sauer has been: Defensively responcible with untapped offensive ability that he may grow into. Never has he been looked to for major points. Despite that, he has produced resonably well for a guy that is looked to for his defense and plays in all situations for a very bad winter hawks team.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I don't think there is any question that politics have played a big part with USA Hockey selections, but seems to me they have looked to CHL guys more the last few years than in the past. Also, as noted by go kj, the selection of Zimmerman, a big surprise to many, points to their willingness to take CHL players. As pointed out, Zimmerman was at the summer camp after playing a few AHL games for Albany at the end of last season.

Several surprises and I agree goaltending is the weak link on this team (hopefully Jeremy Smith (89) continues his strong play and is considered for future teams), but as noted by someone else, this is about selecting a team, not an all-star team.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
Then explain Trevor Lewis, Kane and Zimmerman being on the team...

4 guys (I mispoke earlier when I said 3.) Last year it was 3. out of 20 skaters. that's nothing short of ludicris when you consider the ammount of american talent in the chl. they take a few guys each year, but they always make sure that it's not more than 3 to 4 players.

again, i'm a huge NCAA fan, but this is a farce.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
1. I might buy that argument on Sanguinetti if he had actually been invited to the evaluation camp. But considering that USA hockey didn't even see fit to take a look at him over a week long camp in august, I don't think it had anything to do with his defensive responcibility.

2. I love lesile, but I don't know where she is coming from on Sauer. Sauer was drafted for his offnesive abilities? that is the first time I've ever heard that said. Ever since he was drafted the MO on Sauer has been: Defensively responcible with untapped offensive ability that he may grow into. Never has he been looked to for major points. Despite that, he has produced resonably well for a guy that is looked to for his defense and plays in all situations for a very bad winter hawks team.

My point is the players that are most often mentioned as "snubs" are not without controversy or criticism this year. Sanguinetti has been poor in his own end this year, Ryan has been for the most part indifferant in his play, and Sauer has suffered from what I believe are misconceptions over his quality of play and physical health.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
4 guys (I mispoke earlier when I said 3.) Last year it was 3. out of 20 skaters. that's nothing short of ludicris when you consider the ammount of american talent in the chl. they take a few guys each year, but they always make sure that it's not more than 3 to 4 players.

again, i'm a huge NCAA fan, but this is a farce.

Who are the CHL players you would have selected for the team?

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
I can't resist when it's time to make line predictions! What do you think of those? :

P. Kane -- T. Lewis -- K. Okposo
J. VanViemsdyk -- P. Mueller -- J. Skille
B. Sweatt -- R. Stoa -- N. Gerbe
J. Abdelkader -- M. Carman -- J. Fraser
B. Geoffrion

J. Johnson -- E. Johnson
T. Chorney -- B. Lee
K. Lawson -- J. McBain
S. Zimmerman

J. Frazee
J. Zatkoff

I think it's a very good line up with a strong defense. I don't know who is going to be the no. 1 goaltender but if the goalies are solid, the U.S. will have a very good chance to win the gold medal.

Canada, U.S.A., Sweden and Czech republic are the favorites IMO to win the gold medal.

Rounder

Jan 23, 2005
My point is the players that are most often mentioned as "snubs" are not without controversy or criticism this year. Sanguinetti has been poor in his own end this year, Ryan has been for the most part indifferant in his play, and Sauer has suffered from what I believe are misconceptions over his quality of play and physical health.

As an indifferent player he has more point production than his teamate who was selected and has been arguably the best player in the O.H.L over the past 5 weeks. The U.S.A brass contends they want to take a team of skaters, however do not select one of the better skating defenseman.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
As an indifferent player he has more point production than his teamate who was selected and has been arguably the best player in the O.H.L over the past 5 weeks. The U.S.A brass contends they want to take a team of skaters, however do not select one of the better skating defenseman.

Why are we shooting around the key issues here?

* Bobby Ryan has been inconsistent this year and despite his point production in the OHL remains a liability on the international ice due to his skating.

* Bob Sanguinetti is an offense first defenseman who is at best average in his own zone.

I don't see why it's such a shock that either player was left off the team.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I don't know where Leslie gets her info but Michael Sauer plays on one of the worst teams in the WHL.Look at that roster.Sauer is the only high end WHL player on the team.He plays against the opposing teams best players every game

Defenseman Michael Sauer, 19, continues to be the steadying force on the backend. “He’s so strong one-on-one,†coach Mike Williamson says. “He plays against the best lines every night.â€

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=116406592613451600

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't know where Leslie gets her info but Michael Sauer plays on one of the worst teams in the WHL.Look at that roster.Sauer is the only high end WHL player on the team.He plays against the opposing teams best players every game

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=116406592613451600

IMO Sauer is the one glaring omission. I find it very strange that he was bypassed in favor of Zimmerman. To me, that points to a selection based almost purely on the summer evaluation camp-a camp where Sauer was absent and Zimmerman played well.

Last edited:

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I'm not an expert on Sean Zimmerman. However, I did see him play with the Devils this past September and he seemed to hold his own. And I don't believe it's ever a problem to have a positional and physical sound defenseman on your team. Plus, he skates quite well.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
IMO Sauer is the one glaring omission. I find it very strange that he was bypassed in favor of Sauer. To me, that points to a selection based almost purely on the summer evaluation camp-a camp where Sauer was absent and Zimmerman played well.

And the reason Sauer was absent, I believe, was due to his injury at the time.

The simple fact of the matter is that the USA brass better get a longer evaluation at one point because they left off a guy who is a workhorse and could've logged serious, serious minutes and been one of our top PKers.

I'm seriously disappointed with the lack of Sauer and Ryan on this squad.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm not an expert on Sean Zimmerman. However, I did see him play with the Devils this past September and he seemed to hold his own. And I don't believe it's ever a problem to have a positional and physical sound defenseman on your team. Plus, he skates quite well.

And there were better defenseman in Sauer and Summers who were left off the team in favor of Zimmerman who will probably ride the pine most of the time.

That's just something you don't do in team building. I've said it before: I like Zimmerman a lot as a pro prospect. I just don't see how he fits onto this team as he hardly brings the talent that the aforementioned players do. Only reason he made the squad over Sauer is that Sauer was injured during the camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad