USA WJC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Graves*

I dont believe Zimmerman had gone through the development program. Hes played on in Spokane since hes been 15, whether it was with the Spokane Braves or Chiefs.
You are right, I keep forgetting about him.

DevilFisch

Jan 11, 2003
Edison, NJ
www.inlouwetrust.com
He was on the team last year as a 13th forward, though, wasn't he?

The US squad was just looking for any damn reason they could dump him off the team, IMO.

Like they need a reason, they can put whoever they want on the team provided that they are eligible.

Bobby Ryan did get minutes at last year's WJCs and I don't think he was all that special. Good scoring production (3 G, 4 A in 7 games), but in general he wasn't dominant or a game changer as far as I remember. I don't see him doing any better on larger ice rinks where skating - his biggest weakness, as I understand it - is even more important.

As far as Frazee goes, let's give him a chance. He played exactly one game at last year's WJC, the 6-5 win over Finland. I want to see how he does coming into this year's tourney as the de facto starter.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Okay, tough guy. So you tell me this: Are you confident that Frazee can carry the load for this team?

I'll step in and say that while Frazee scares me a bit, he has played very well for the U.S. in international competition at high level events. Also, there seems to be a tendency to ignore what Jeff Zatkoff can bring to the table.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'll step in and say that while Frazee scares me a bit, he has played very well for the U.S. in international competition at high level events. Also, there seems to be a tendency to ignore what Jeff Zatkoff can bring to the table.

I think Zatkoff is worlds better than Frazee, but I also tend to think they will go with Frazee as he was there last year.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Like they need a reason, they can put whoever they want on the team provided that they are eligible.

Bobby Ryan did get minutes at last year's WJCs and I don't think he was all that special. Good scoring production (3 G, 4 A in 7 games), but in general he wasn't dominant or a game changer as far as I remember. I don't see him doing any better on larger ice rinks where skating - his biggest weakness, as I understand it - is even more important.

Eliminate the Norway game and here are the USA's leading scorers:

Ryan 7
Kessel 5
Schremp 4
Mueller 4
Bourque 3
Porter 3

Ryan didn't play much. He sat on the bench alongside Schremp while they watched the Kessel/Bourque show (particularly on the power play which drove me nuts but made me happy when they played Canada and lost.)

If Ryan was on the team and he played top minutes he'd lead this team in scoring. But perhaps they planned on giving him 4th line minutes anyways so they decided not to take him altogether.:dunno:

Rounder

Jan 23, 2005
Eliminate the Norway game and here are the USA's leading scorers:

Ryan 7
Kessel 5
Schremp 4
Mueller 4
Bourque 3
Porter 3

Ryan didn't play much. He sat on the bench alongside Schremp while they watched the Kessel/Bourque show (particularly on the power play which drove me nuts but made me happy when they played Canada and lost.)

If Ryan was on the team and he played top minutes he'd lead this team in scoring. But perhaps they planned on giving him 4th line minutes anyways so they decided not to take him altogether.:dunno:

I was hoping someone would put these numbers up, and the production was with limited minutes in all but the game versus Canada. Ryan and Schrempf were jerked around thru-out the tournament. In one game Ryan had 2 points on 3 shifts, and sat on the bench for the remaining 18 minutes of the game, Schrempf received 1 shift.

Last edited:

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
And there were better defenseman in Sauer and Summers who were left off the team in favor of Zimmerman who will probably ride the pine most of the time.

That's just something you don't do in team building. I've said it before: I like Zimmerman a lot as a pro prospect. I just don't see how he fits onto this team as he hardly brings the talent that the aforementioned players do. Only reason he made the squad over Sauer is that Sauer was injured during the camp.

Well if you say Sauer was injured, why all the griping about him not making the team.

Really, it seems more like you have a problem with the two Devil kids that made the squad. All you’ve been doing is attacking Frazee and Zimmerman for making the team. And how do you know Zimmerman won’t get to play? Just maybe the USA coaching staff isn’t as enamored with Sauer as you are and prefer Zimmerman.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
Well if you say Sauer was injured, why all the griping about him not making the team.

Really, it seems more like you have a problem with the two Devil kids that made the squad. All you’ve been doing is attacking Frazee and Zimmerman for making the team. And how do you know Zimmerman won’t get to play? Just maybe the USA coaching staff isn’t as enamored with Sauer as you are and prefer Zimmerman.

Sauer was injured this summer, he's been healthy since the begining of the season. I don't see how a player being injured durring a summer camp should preclude him from playing in a turnament in january.

Last edited:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I believe they all went through the development program before going to the CHL.

Lewis and Zimmerman never played a game for the NTDP, nor were they ever strongly considered for a spot.

I don't have the high expectations for the team the way I've had the two previous years but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up doing quite well. It's not always about talent. Chemistry has been a huge issue and a big positive I see is that there don't seem to be any players on the roster who could be a distraction.

Kessel and Ryan, the two biggest losses as far as talent is concerned, both had question marks around them at last years tournament. I believe the reports about issues other players had with Kessel and I can't say that I believe Ryan's heart would have been totally in this considering how poorly he was apparently treated last year. I don't support USA Hockey's politics but it's nice to know that there are no players on the team that they either hate (Ryan) or worship (Kessel) for whatever reason. I hope both can be a part of the mens team at some point but I'm not devastated thier junior days in a USA jersey are over.

I don't see any reason to be seriously upset about the defense. Sanguinetti is a question mark in his own zone and wouldn't get serious PP time. Mitera doesn't bring any gamebreaking ability which the team will miss nor are any of the players included liabilities. I don't know what to say about the outcry for Sauer. From most of the reports I've heard he's not particularly special but it seems to many here that he's some kind of stud. I don't know what to believe to be honest.

Forwards seem to have a good mix of speed, heart, grit and talent. Mueller, Okposo and Kane should be able to score. I hope Skille and Gerbe can really show something because I don't feel they've lived up to my expectations for them over the past few years. Others could end up surprising. Hopefully the draft eligible guys really do well.

Goaltending is what I think willl make or break the team (though that's true for any team in a tournamen like this one). I have little confidence in Frazee despite his previous success and I have little confidence in Zatkoff because hr doesn't have any previous success. I'd feel better if the went with Zatkoff at this point though.

As an aside, the US '87s just don't seem as strong as everyone always said they were. The guys I expect the most from are '88s which is odd considering the '88s weren't nearly as heralded. Oh well.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Sauer was injured this summer, he's been healthy since the begining of the season. I don't see how a player being injured durring a summer camp should preclude him from playing in a turnament in january.

So are you saying that the injury can't be used as an excuse or that he was un-justly not selected.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Okay, tough guy. So you tell me this: Are you confident that Frazee can carry the load for this team?

Tough guy? Just because I think your logic is Pejorative Slured doesn't equate to trying to act tough. :confused:

I am confident in both goalies if the team as a whole does their part. Both of these goalies will make the necessary stops in most cases. But it is a team game and not every goal scored against them will be the fault of the goalie. It won't matter who is in net if the guys in front of them don't do their job. Well, unless you are a superhero goalie with a whopping two college starts. :biglaugh:

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I hope Zatkoff is the starter. He seems more confident in net than Frazee does.
Frazee has played well this year no doubt, I just see that Zatkoff has more confidence than Frazee.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Tough guy? Just because I think your logic is Pejorative Slured doesn't equate to trying to act tough. :confused:

I am confident in both goalies if the team as a whole does their part. Both of these goalies will make the necessary stops in most cases. But it is a team game and not every goal scored against them will be the fault of the goalie. It won't matter who is in net if the guys in front of them don't do their job. Well, unless you are a superhero goalie with a whopping two college starts. :biglaugh:

Hey, I was surprised he said it too, but Jase has looked good this year and was darn good last year on an awful team in the AJHL. Not that it matters though cause as I already said, Jase is Canadian.

Randall Graves*

As far as Frazee goes, let's give him a chance. He played exactly one game at last year's WJC, the 6-5 win over Finland. I want to see how he does coming into this year's tourney as the de facto starter.
He got limited ice time and was the leading scorer after the blowout vs Norway..he may be one of those guys that doesn't dazzle you and ends up with 3 or 4 points.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
As an aside, the US '87s just don't seem as strong as everyone always said they were. The guys I expect the most from are '88s which is odd considering the '88s weren't nearly as heralded. Oh well.

Good post.

'87 was decent (although obviously we're missing Kessel). But '88 for Minnesota was called the best crop of players to ever come from a single state (redline a year ago I believe). And there's quite a few Minnesotans (7 drafted in rounds 1-3, most from the 1st round) and Minnesota developed kids (10 drafted in rounds 1-3) on the squad.

I think you'll find the state will have less to contribute when it comes to the '89 class.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
for funsies...

Stoa-Lewis-Okposo
VanRiemsdyk-Mueller-Kane
Skille-Sweatt-Abdelkader
Fraser-Carman-Gerbe
Geoffrion

Johnson-Johnson
Lee-Chorney
McBain-Zimmerman
Lawson

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hey, I was surprised he said it too, but Jase has looked good this year and was darn good last year on an awful team in the AJHL. Not that it matters though cause as I already said, Jase is Canadian.

Exactly my point. Though I don't know why I thought he was American this whole time and playing in the AJHL...

But the kid is going to be good. He was one of my sleepers last year and he's looked good so far.

Though it is a shame when someone less knowing (PuckFan) sits there and mocks me, it doesn't bother me much.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Also, hadn't Frazee only played all of about 3 or 4 games last year when he was added to the roster? He only played 12 games total.

True, but he had been the workhorse for the U18 team and led the U.S. to a gold at the U18's, so it was no surprise that he was included on the roster last year. He wasn't supposed to play that much since Schneider was returning. It was a good opportunity for Frazee to get some experience for this year, and to be fair-Frazee has been much better this year. He just happens to play a style that leaves you on the verge of a heart attack.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
True, but he had been the workhorse for the U18 team and led the U.S. to a gold at the U18's, so it was no surprise that he was included on the roster last year. He wasn't supposed to play that much since Schneider was returning. It was a good opportunity for Frazee to get some experience for this year, and to be fair-Frazee has been much better this year. He just happens to play a style that leaves you on the verge of a heart attack.

Frankly, I don't think he's been much better at all. He just looks out of position all the time and just does not seem to be a very good goaltender even at the NCAA level. His save percentage has fallen a lot as well. He's OK, not exactly awful, but just middle of the road. I have a lot of question marks over him such as his ability to re-position himself after a shot, his work ethic, and some other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad