USA WJC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Frankly, I don't think he's been much better at all. He just looks out of position all the time and just does not seem to be a very good goaltender even at the NCAA level. His save percentage has fallen a lot as well. He's OK, not exactly awful, but just middle of the road. I have a lot of question marks over him such as his ability to re-position himself after a shot, his work ethic, and some other things.

I'm not going to make excuses for less than stellar stats, but he is playing behind a dominate team and winning. That doesn't always add up to a great save percentage.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I believe they all went through the development program before going to the CHL.

FC already pointed out that Zimmerman didn't. When was Trevor Lewis part of the program? I know he played for the USA at the Viking Cup, but he played in the USHL not with the NTDP.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm not going to make excuses for less than stellar stats, but he is playing behind a dominate team and winning. That doesn't always add up to a great save percentage.

It's still a telling point on a player slumping (IE Montoya in his last year wasn't very good, IMO, and was playing on a great team but his stats went down) though. Then again, I think it's just his talent level lacking compared to others and him being overhyped.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Though it is a shame when someone less knowing (PuckFan) sits there and mocks me, it doesn't bother me much.

Less knowing? This coming from the guy who suggests a Canadian goalie for the USA spot and then acts like it would be a wise decision to select a player that has only two games of playing experience at the college level of hockey (and zero international experience), uses it as potential evidence of somebody being fit for the job and ignores the fact that others have more experience, more success at the college level and has far greater international experience. :biglaugh:

If that is your idea of wisdom, let's thank the Lord that you don't sit at the helm of any hockey team. :eek:

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Also, hadn't Frazee only played all of about 3 or 4 games last year when he was added to the roster? He only played 12 games total.

Seven games before the roster was announced. Not to mention, plenty of prior international experience. But keep digging yourself a hole Mr. Wise Man. :dunce:

Randall Graves*

FC already pointed out that Zimmerman didn't. When was Trevor Lewis part of the program? I know he played for the USA at the Viking Cup, but he played in the USHL not with the NTDP.
I thought playing in the USHL was 'ok' with the Development program as opposed to the CHL?

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I don't have the high expectations for the team the way I've had the two previous years but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up doing quite well. It's not always about talent. Chemistry has been a huge issue and a big positive I see is that there don't seem to be any players on the roster who could be a distraction.

Agree. If they can gel as a true team then they will have a shot at a medal. Ryan, as has already been mentioned, was one of the better forwards last year with limited ice time and his skating issues have been greatly exagerated. Along with the Sauer, a huge ommision and mistake.

Say what you will about Sanguinetti's defensive game, but this kid would have made an excellent PP man and would have put points on the board.

Seems like this team is going to rely on a few players for goal production and that is always scary since in an elite tournament like this, players can be shut down and our lack of offensive depth may come back to bite us hard.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Seven games before the roster was announced. Not to mention, plenty of prior international experience. But keep digging yourself a hole Mr. Wise Man. :dunce:

What's your point? He was not very good in the 7 games he played. Jase has at least looked good in very spot activity (and very good I might add -- as he was one of my sleepers in the draft as well).

But keep looking so pompous with your attitude. It's cute and it really shows your true skin!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Pat Kane with five points so far for London tonight. He now has the scoring lead in the OHL with 67 points. He's going to be a key offensive player for the U.S. in the WJC's.

Rounder

Jan 23, 2005
The guys Kane plays with at the World Juniors will not be as good as the two he is paired with now, he also will not be playing against young Windsor team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The guys Kane plays with at the World Juniors will not be as good as the two he is paired with now, he also will not be playing against young Windsor team.

I beg to differ on the first point and I think it's pretty obvious a best on best international tourney is a differant bag than run of the mill junior action.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Eliminate the Norway game and here are the USA's leading scorers:

Ryan 7
Kessel 5
Schremp 4
Mueller 4
Bourque 3
Porter 3

Ryan didn't play much. He sat on the bench alongside Schremp while they watched the Kessel/Bourque show (particularly on the power play which drove me nuts but made me happy when they played Canada and lost.)

If Ryan was on the team and he played top minutes he'd lead this team in scoring. But perhaps they planned on giving him 4th line minutes anyways so they decided not to take him altogether.:dunno:

How telling that some of the folks defending this team, like Rabid Ranger, have been unable to formulate a response to this.

Ryan really did produce outstandingly last year in Vancouver, all things considered.

Rounder

Jan 23, 2005
beg to differ on the first point and I think it's pretty obvious a best on best international tourney is a differant bag than run of the mill junior action.

Of course u beg to differ u have pictures of college kids as your avatar. ill take the run of the mill junior hockey vs that college crash and bang any day

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
How telling that some of the folks defending this team, like Rabid Ranger, have been unable to formulate a response to this.

Ryan really did produce outstandingly last year in Vancouver, all things considered.

I'm not defending anything. I think Ryan should have been on this team. That being said, I can understand why he's isn't and am willing to move on.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
beg to differ on the first point and I think it's pretty obvious a best on best international tourney is a differant bag than run of the mill junior action.

Of course u beg to differ u have pictures of college kids as your avatar. ill take the run of the mill junior hockey vs that college crash and bang any day

I find it so tedious responding to posters like you. All I did was point out Kane had a nice night and will be a key offensive player for the U.S. at the WJC's and it turns in to another pissing match about the merits of the NCAA/OHL? How does that happen? Why can't people just acknowledge the point being made instead of going on some Pejorative Slured tangent?

Randall Graves*

I'm not defending anything. I think Ryan should have been on this team. That being said, I can understand why he's isn't and am willing to move on.
On behalf of Ducks fans and probably some OSA fans, thank you team USA, you have now lit a fire under Bobby's ***.

AXN

Feb 10, 2004
What happened to Bobby Ryan and Nick Foligno? Two high scores they did not take. This team will not go far. Why does the U.S. National Team make dumb choices like this?

forboston

Feb 10, 2006
Westport, CT
I am not a fan of Nate Gerbe, at all. At last years tournament he was horrible and cost TJ Oshie about 5 assists because he couldn't finish the chances. I will root for him however because he made the team, but I think they could've done much better than him.

Gerbe has been on fire this year. I think he'll do well in the tournament.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
i just got back from being away for a week on business, my thoughts on the team and its selections;

there were some controversial picks and ommissions, but as a whole this team looks like it can be a very successful TEAM. The only problem i have is the goalie situation. i really would have liked to have seen john murray make the team. i think he could steal games, and is the best possible goalie available at this age group for this team. i am not surprised with his ommission or many of the other chl kids ommissions bc it seems the usa went with familiarity, and kids who they knew would be able to gel, instead of taking a chance on a kid who may or may not, and a kid they havent scouted that heavily. this team isnt perfect, but it looks like there could be alot of chemistry.

sanguinetti we knew really wasnt gonna make this team. they already have enough offensive defensemen, so his role would have been limited, and at this stage his defense is questionable. he wouldent have taken any pp minutes from either of the johnsons or lee, and probably not from lawson or chorney either.

sauer would have been a nice fit for this team, but in all honesty, the usa doesnt know as much about him as other players that play his style. his injury problems had to play a role too. 2 years ago the backline was hit hard with injuries, that had to come into consideration.

on international ice, i dont think the usa saw bobby ryan as one of the top 6 forwards on the team. yea he was #2 overall pick, but it looks like most of the top 6 forwards on this team are/will be top 10 picks too, so that point doesnt matter. if hes not one of the top 6, why waste his spot when you can pick someone that can fill a specific role. its looks like they dont see him being better on bigger ice then kane, okposo, mueller, skille, or even van reimsdyk. he doesnt have the speed lewis has, and they may like stoa alot better on this size surface as well. still think he would be an asset on the pp, and i personally think he is a top 6 player, but im not usa, and i can somewhat understand their logic.

foligno surprises me. i thought he would make a good 3rd liner that could add some scoring and play a physical game. they know him pretty well which is more surpising. the only thing that can be a knock on him is stupid penalties.

with no kessel, schremp, ryan it seems this team does not have any egos or primadonnas on it, so i guess we'll see how that pans out.

espo*

Gerbe has been on fire this year. I think he'll do well in the tournament.

I was thinking the same thing.I thought he was damn good in the games i watched him in last year and that he was a regular pain in the *** to play against,like a less skilled Brian Gionta.He forechecked like a son of a ***** and was always buzzing around making life difficult for whoever had the puck and drawing penalties,just the kind of guy every team needs.

The U.S brass must have thought so too because he's back.When a guy is so small like that and stinks the joint out he isn't likely to get an invite back,they would just pick another option(and they sure as hell had them).

Can't see why any U.S fan would think he's a bad choice from what i saw of the guy last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad