Justin Abdelkader-Mike Carman-Chad Rau
James van Riemsdyk

Erik Johnson-Jack Johnson
Brian Lee-Taylor Chorney
Jamie McBain-Brian Strait
Chris Summers

Jeff Frazee
Jeff Zatkoff

And yes I know van Riemsdyk wasnt invited to the tryouts.

Last edited:

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
I think you can only bring 20 players. I don't think Strait will make the team, Mitera will be there over him. He was there last year and is solid this year, has a broken hand I believe though. I would say Summers has a shot just because he could be used as a forward to so that would be something Rolston might want to take a look at. I also think Sanguinetti will get a look, he has been playing well from what I am hearing.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Will Phil Kessel be released to play?

If not, what are your thoughts on this?

Bobby Ryan-Peter Mueller-Jack Skille
Nate Gerbe-Kyle Okposo-Benn Ferriero
Nick Foligno-Pat Kane-Ryan Stoa
James van Riemsdyk

Brian Lee-Taylor Chorney
Chris Summers

Jeff Frazee
Jeff Zatkoff

I find it hard to believe Carl Sneep will be left off the team. Also, what about Mike Gergen? I think he has a chance to make it.

Chuck Schwartz

Dec 11, 2004
Wisconsin
www.buckyhockey.com
I think you can only bring 20 players. I don't think Strait will make the team, Mitera will be there over him. He was there last year and is solid this year, has a broken hand I believe though. I would say Summers has a shot just because he could be used as a forward to so that would be something Rolston might want to take a look at. I also think Sanguinetti will get a look, he has been playing well from what I am hearing.

You can bring 13 forwards and 7 defense. And I'm still not sold on Mitera. I figured he was a shoe in being on the team last season but I'm just not so sure. He didn't have a good tournament last year. Jamie McBain has been playing great so far this season and is a lock imho. Strait is a former U-18 captain and is a good leader. Could be interesting.

Chuck Schwartz

Dec 11, 2004
Wisconsin
www.buckyhockey.com
I find it hard to believe Carl Sneep will be left off the team. Also, what about Mike Gergen? I think he has a chance to make it.

Hard to believe Sneep won't make it? It's an extreamly tough year to make it as a defenseman. I think LaPoint's performance in the USHL this season has been more impressive then Sneep's year so far.

And what has Gergen done this season?

Randall Graves*

Kessel may be addition by subtraction, the chemistry on last years team was terrible, too many guys in the room disliked him, hopefully there's better chemistry we still have pretty decent forwards and a great defense.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Will Phil Kessel be released to play?

If not, what are your thoughts on this?

Bobby Ryan-Peter Mueller-Jack Skille
Nate Gerbe-Kyle Okposo-Benn Ferriero
Nick Foligno-Pat Kane-Ryan Stoa
James van Riemsdyk

Brian Lee-Taylor Chorney
Chris Summers

Jeff Frazee
Jeff Zatkoff

Looks good to me. I can see the following players also under consideration:

Mike Sauer
Trevor Lewis
Jeff Frazee
Mark Mitera
Kyle Lawson
Bobby Sanguinetti

I would think Frazee and Mitera would be under heavy consideration as potential returnees. Lawson is a favorite of Ron Rolston and Lewis has some chemistry with Ryan.

Chuck Schwartz

Dec 11, 2004
Wisconsin
www.buckyhockey.com
Looks good to me. I can see the following players also under consideration:

Mike Sauer
Trevor Lewis
Jeff Frazee
Mark Mitera
Kyle Lawson
Bobby Sanguinetti

I would think Frazee and Mitera would be under heavy consideration as potential returnees. Lawson is a favorite of Ron Rolston and Lewis has some chemistry with Ryan.

Rabid, I have Frazee as my starter if you didnt notice? And like I mentioned, I'm not sold on Mitera even though he is returning. What are your thoughts on James Van Riemsdyk? I think he's one of America's next potential superstars and would make a great 13th forward.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Rabid, I have Frazee as my starter if you didnt notice? And like I mentioned, I'm not sold on Mitera even though he is returning. What are your thoughts on James Van Riemsdyk? I think he's one of America's next potential superstars and would make a great 13th forward.

I must be blind. For some reason I thought you had Alex Stalock listed instead of Frazee. As for Mitera, from what I can tell he's played fairly well this year and is a returnee. I think he's a pretty sure bet to be on the team, although you never know. As for Van Riemsdyk, I think he has a pretty good chance at making the squad. He's made a splash with the U18 team and possesses elements that would make him a valuable part of the third line.

Last edited:

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
Strait is a former U-18 captain and is a good leader.

Being a good leader doesen't mean they get it done on the ice. Yeah he is a steady player, but to pick someone solely because they are a good leader is the wrong reason. They will have plenty of leaders on the team regardless in the likes of J. Johnson, E. Johnson, Ryan, etc. The d group is so deep it is rediculous, and the forwards are very good to. I think the weakness will be between the pipes.

Randall Graves*

What sells you about Summers, McBain and Strait over him? none of those guys are as good defensively and team USA has plenty of offensive talent on the blueline as is..

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Minnesota's possible contributions are EJ, Okposo, Stoa, Frazee, Barriball and Carman (he had a great game against MI with two amazing shorthanded goals).

As a result, MN's coach Lucia said the WJC team 'may not get everyone they want'. It could very well be a bluff and he's just hoping they limit their selection themselves...rather than the fact that he may deny and players the opportunity to play.

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
If anyone from the group goes it's Strait.

I disagree with that statement. McBain was very good last year at the U18s and has been very good internationally from what I have gone by. He would be much more valued then Strait at the world jrs. If it came down between Summers, McBain, and Strait I would give the nod to McBain. Then I would take Summers because of his skating ability and versatility and ability to play forward if needed. Who does everyone think the captains of this team will be? Ryan, EJ, JJ, Gerbe, Kessel(if he comes)?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I disagree with that statement. McBain was very good last year at the U18s and has been very good internationally from what I have gone by. He would be much more valued then Strait at the world jrs. If it came down between Summers, McBain, and Strait I would give the nod to McBain. Then I would take Summers because of his skating ability and versatility and ability to play forward if needed. Who does everyone think the captains of this team will be? Ryan, EJ, JJ, Gerbe, Kessel(if he comes)?

McBain's also seemed to have picked his game up of late. I would guess he has a great chance of playing. As for who will be captain, interesting question. Maybe a guy like Brian Lee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad