Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
nomorekids said:
Hall was added? They must have read my post :yo:

He had a terrific year in Finland. Will bring a nice presence in front of the net to the USA PP.

Yeah, the U.S. will have some nice balance. Here's how I see it:

Forwards:

Cole-Modano-Park
York-Weight-Parrish
Cullen-Legwand-Gionta
Hall-Halpern-Knuble

Defense:

Liles-Gill
Roach-Miller
Leopold-Martin

Goaltenders:

Conklin
DiPietro
Thomas

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
nomorekids said:
Paul Mara? Mark Eaton?

I would think that a guy like Mara would be high on the list. He played last year for the U.S. and is active this year in the DEL (Hannover). Eaton would be a nice addition as well, but I'm not sure on his status with Grand Rapids. A guy like Brett Hauer could also be on the radar. Some other choices could be: Chelios, Weinrich, and Tom Preissing, who are all active this year. There could also be a guy taken from the AHL.

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
nomorekids said:
Hall was added? They must have read my post :yo:

He had a terrific year in Finland. Will bring a nice presence in front of the net to the USA PP.
I think sweden's gonna have a couple of players out of their second tier too... Cool to see a Mestis player play for a bigger nation in the world champs :D

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
How about my new personal favorite, Dan Hinote, who played for my local team MoDo in Sweden this season? He could be useful in a checking line, and as a role player in general, and he had a good season with MoDo and became very popular with the fans thanks to his work ethic and spirit. Although not a flashy goal scorer I'm sure he could be a good addition for the team in a checking line.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Petey21 said:
How about my new personal favorite, Dan Hinote, who played for my local team MoDo in Sweden this season? He could be useful in a checking line, and as a role player in general, and he had a good season with MoDo and became very popular with the fans thanks to his work ethic and spirit. Although not a flashy goal scorer I'm sure he could be a good addition for the team in a checking line.

Hinote is a good player, but they don't need another "checker." Look for them to add another playmaker/scorer, most likely Scott Gomez.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mobey said:
Hinote is a good player, but they don't need another "checker." Look for them to add another playmaker/scorer, most likely Scott Gomez.

The only think holding back Gomez from being on the team is the ECHL playoffs.

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
Mobey said:
I think they do, but if you have to choose from those two, then Gomez of course.

Rabid Ranger said:
Forwards:

Cole-Modano-Park
York-Weight-Parrish
Cullen-Legwand-Gionta
Hall-Halpern-Knuble
Legwand and Hall have been in the same line before so..

Cole-Modano-Park
York-Weight-Parrish
Hall-Legwand-Knuble
Cullen-Halpern-Gionta

Last edited:

espo*

I've gotta admit that the paper line-up of the U.S team is impressing me.They are turning over a new leaf with young players with speed and grabbed bronze last year.The defense is skilled and mobile and they have three world class players in the pivot for them with Modano,Gomez,and Weight.They are a contender and teams will have to be sharp to take them down.I'm getting excited about this tournament.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dan Galvin said:
When do the ECHL playoffs end?

It looks like the next round won't end until April 20th or so. I wouldn't be surprised to see the U.S. hold a spot open for Gomez regardless of when the ECHL playoffs are over (for the Aces at least).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Another name on defense I'll throw out there is Keith Ballard. He was on the team last year, and Utah is not going anywhere.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
sk84fun_dc said:
If the reason Esche was not invited was because he has not played this year, DiPietro and Dunham should not be on the team either (someone please correct me if they have played a reasonable number of games this season). I am shocked that Esche was not spoken to or invited - very disappointing, especialy given the team connections between the coaches and the other two goalies.

Waddell's made comments in the past, that show he thinks highly of 23 yr old DiPietro's potential.He says he wants the US international teams to get younger and since DiPietro played well in last Sept.'s WC,saying he shouldn't be invited is pretty silly imo.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Rabid Ranger said:
It looks like the next round won't end until April 20th or so. I wouldn't be surprised to see the U.S. hold a spot open for Gomez regardless of when the ECHL playoffs are over (for the Aces at least).

They would be pretty dumb if they did not wait to see if he could play. I mean he's one of the best young playmaking centers out there.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
CREW99AW said:
Waddell's made comments in the past, that show he thinks highly of 23 yr old DiPietro's potential.He says he wants the US international teams to get younger and since DiPietro played well in last Sept.'s WC,saying he shouldn't be invited is pretty silly imo.

I'll take your comments a step further. Rick DiPietro IS the U.S. goalie of the future, the player that will be between the pipes for all important international tournaments for the next decade. It is only right and proper he is on this team, and I look for him to be the de facto starter very soon.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Habsfan 32 said:
They would be pretty dumb if they did not wait to see if he could play. I mean he's one of the best young playmaking centers out there.

I have no doubt that the U.S. brass is reserving a spot for Gomez. That would give the U.S. Modano, Weight, Gomez, and Halpern/Legwand up the middle. Pretty darn good if you ask me.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I'll take your comments a step further. Rick DiPietro IS the U.S. goalie of the future, the player that will be between the pipes for all important international tournaments for the next decade. It is only right and proper he is on this team, and I look for him to be the de facto starter very soon.

That's the problem with the US line of thinking. Trying to predict the future and give the job to one guy for the next decde or more.

The best US goalie today without question is Robert Esche. He was excellent in the World Cup, and outstanding in last years NHL playoffs. He'll be 28 and 32 for the next two Olympics, right in the prime of a goalies career.

The US shouldn't be trying to force anything, and just pick the best man for the job. If it's DiPietro, great, but if it's Esche or someone else they should be the man.

Why does DiPietro have to be "the man" .... it could very well be Esche, Esche and Montoya ..... or Esche, Dipietro, Motoya .... ithere is no reason one guy must be the "chosen" one.

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
not for nothing, but if DiPietro is the goalie the US will be going with for ten years, then the US is screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad