USA WC Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
It will be nice to see some of the top players participate for once but I don't think it's going to help the results too much this time around. All of the European countries having players who are not only willing to play, but are also in game shape. It's so rare that a player can step in cold and play to the best of his abilities.

I guess it will be interesting either way.

time

Feb 26, 2005
I keep thinking about the Canada Cup. Give players a few weeks to practice, and then a soft sked to start the tourney, and you'd be surprised how well a "cold" guy can play. In addition, a pro athelete who trains all year is not suffering from flab or cardiovascular problems. These guys are always in shape.

I know they'll be rusty, but it shouldn't take them too long. And put that against guys who have just finished a playoff run with all the injuries, aches and exhaustion that come with it.

I don't think there will be much of a gap by the time the medal round rolls around.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
It will be nice to see some of the top players participate for once but I don't think it's going to help the results too much this time around. All of the European countries having players who are not only willing to play, but are also in game shape. It's so rare that a player can step in cold and play to the best of his abilities.

I guess it will be interesting either way.

The U.S. is only going to name a handful of guys that haven't played competitively this year. Most of the guys named will have been playing, many of them in Europe.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
time said:
I keep thinking about the Canada Cup. Give players a few weeks to practice, and then a soft sked to start the tourney, and you'd be surprised how well a "cold" guy can play. In addition, a pro athelete who trains all year is not suffering from flab or cardiovascular problems. These guys are always in shape.

I know they'll be rusty, but it shouldn't take them too long. And put that against guys who have just finished a playoff run with all the injuries, aches and exhaustion that come with it.

I don't think there will be much of a gap by the time the medal round rolls around.

The thing with the Canada/World Cup is that all of the participating players were just getting warmed up. It's bound to be a different situation if players have been playing all season.

I guess we'll see though.

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
Hal Gill is having good season in Finland and is everything that US defense needs.
Mike Knuble made 26 goals in 49 games in SEL, he wasnt as good in play-offs though.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
mikkoz said:
Hal Gill is having good season in Finland and is everything that US defense needs.
Mike Knuble made 26 goals in 49 games in SEL, he wasnt as good in play-offs though.

Gill and Knuble are likely to make the team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Here's my projected roster:

Defensemen (x8):

Hal Gill
Paul Mara
Paul Martin
David Tanabe
Brian Rafalski
Aaron Miller
Derian Hatcher
Keith Ballard

Forwards (x14):

Mike Modano
Scott Gomez
Doug Weight
David Legwand
Mike Knuble
Mike York
Erik Cole
Bryan Smolinski
Zack Parise
Brian Gionta
Adam Hall
Chris Drury
Mark Parrish
Dan Hinote

Goaltenders (x3):

Ty Conklin
Rick Dipietro
Robert Esche

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Here' the preliminary roster (named so far): http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/2005-03-22-weight-team-usa-worlds_x.htm

Forwards:

Modano
York
Legwand
Parrish
Blake
Gionta
Knuble
Halpern

The article mentions that the U.S. brass is trying to get Weight. If they do, that would leave at least three forward slots.

Defense:

Leopold
Liles
Tanabe
Martin
Gill
Miller
Roach

Possibly one more spot could be filled, perhaps by Rafalski.

Goaltenders:

Conklin

That leaves room for two more spots to be filled, probably by Rick DiPietro and maybe Mike Dunham. It's possible an AHL or Euro based goaltender gets the nod here.

I like the look of the roster, although up front it's pretty small.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MePutPuckInNet said:
I dunno....I've heard a few things bounced around about them going even younger....think Ryan Suter, Patrick O'Sullivan, Zach Parise.....

I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of AHL players are added (depending on the AHL play-offs). Given Albany's struggles, Parise is a prime candidate. I don't see O'Sullivan being named, but anything can happen.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
i guess i should have mentioned...i was just talking about those guys possibly getting an invite to camp - not sure any of the three are quite ready for that big step of actually making the team...but, i know the big cheese at usa hockey is smilin' about the up and comers.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MePutPuckInNet said:
i guess i should have mentioned...i was just talking about those guys possibly getting an invite to camp - not sure any of the three are quite ready for that big step of actually making the team...but, i know the big cheese at usa hockey is smilin' about the up and comers.

Yeah, that makes more sense. I could definately see a few youngers guys invited to the camp, that's for sure. What a great experience!

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
ugh, am i the only one who thought Gill was brutal in the last international tourney? jesus i don't even remember which one it was (my hockey memory seems to be fading as there is no season) maybe it was on bigger ice and he just didn't fit in there...

never liked the guy that much, biggest waste of 6'8 in the NHL

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Levitate said:
ugh, am i the only one who thought Gill was brutal in the last international tourney? jesus i don't even remember which one it was (my hockey memory seems to be fading as there is no season) maybe it was on bigger ice and he just didn't fit in there...

never liked the guy that much, biggest waste of 6'8 in the NHL

Actually, he looked very, very good in the world cup..and his injury ended up hurting the team more than anyone would have imagined.

(lone)Yashinfan#79

i like that a few people have mentioned Erik Cole...fills the Konowalchuk grinder spot at LW nicely.

Tkachuk Modano Guerin
York Weight Parrish
Knuble Smolinski Drury
Cole Gomez Gionta
(Halpern, Hinote)

Leetch Carney
Leopold Miller
Martin Rafalski
(Liles, Suter)

Esche
Conklin
DiPietro

my prospective backline may get roughed up, but they're smaller, younger, faster...

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
(lone)Yashinfan#79 said:
i like that a few people have mentioned Erik Cole...fills the Konowalchuk grinder spot at LW nicely.

Tkachuk Modano Guerin
York Weight Parrish
Knuble Smolinski Drury
Cole Gomez Gionta
(Halpern, Hinote)

Leetch Carney
Leopold Miller
Martin Rafalski
(Liles, Suter)

Esche
Conklin
DiPietro

my prospective backline may get roughed up, but they're smaller, younger, faster...

Legwand is already there.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Dan Galvin said:
Has he been cleared to play? I'm not sure he is over his concussion problem. Maybe he is, but I can't remember. Anybody know?
I'd say No with all the random things he's said during this lockout. That ESPN spot he did was just creepy

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Here's another article on the probable line-up the U.S. will ice at the World Championships: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/World/2005/03/29/976009-cp.html

It seems like Richard Park, Erik Cole, Scott Gomez, and Rick Dipietro will round out the previously mentioned names.

Forwards:

Mike Modano
Doug Weight
Scott Gomez
Richard Park
Mike York
Brian Gionta
Jeff Halpern
Mike Knuble
David Legwand
Mark Parrish
Jason Blake
Erik Cole

Defensemen:

Paul Martin
Aaron Miller
Andy Roach
David Tanabe
John-Michael Liles
Hal Gill
Jordan Leopold

Goaltenders:

Ty Conklin
Rick Dipietro

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
nomorekids said:
Actually, he looked very, very good in the world cup..and his injury ended up hurting the team more than anyone would have imagined.

Thats how he has looked here in Finland as well. He has adapted to the big ice very well, and in my opinion he is the best defensive d-man in the league at the moment. He has become one of the most loved players among the fans of Rauman Lukko, but still remain a bit unknown to other teams fans. This guy deserves a whole lot more credit that he has been given..his presence is really felt on the ice. When he was acquired, the people here were complaining that we needed a goal scorer so why did we get a monster defenseman who can't move, but nobody is questioning it any more. Dwayne Roloson asked Lukko to get Gill, and they got him.....seems that Roloson knew exactly what was needed infront of his net.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Here's some projected lines:

York-Modano-Legwand
Park-Weight-Parrish
Cole-Gomez-Gionta
Blake-Halpern-Knuble

Tanabe/Gill
Liles/Miller
Leopold/Martin
Roach

Conklin
Dipietro

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Rabid Ranger said:
Here's some projected lines:

York-Modano-Legwand
Park-Weight-Parrish
Cole-Gomez-Gionta
Blake-Halpern-Knuble

Tanabe/Gill
Liles/Miller
Leopold/Martin
Roach

Conklin
Dipietro

I'm not sure if Legwand can play wing, but then again I don't know if he ever did in junior. Just that he never has in Nashville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad