USA WC Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
I assume since Smolinski signed in the UHL, he may be getting in shape to play. So, he could be a candidate. Hatcher and Chelios too, but I think Chelios said he wasn't going to play in anymore international competitions.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
GoBoltz56 said:
I assume since Smolinski signed in the UHL, he may be getting in shape to play. So, he could be a candidate. Hatcher and Chelios too, but I think Chelios said he wasn't going to play in anymore international competitions.
I was thinking that myself. I remember Chelios saying he was done representing the U.S. in tourney's I think with the lockout going all year he would want to play in some decent games if he wants to come back next year.. I hope he does as well as Hatcher.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'd like to see a team that is younger (maybe quite a bit) than the World Cup squad. Here's some names off the top of my head:

Forwards (12):

Modano
Legwand
Gomez
Drury
York
Malone
Weight
Tkachuk
Guerin
Hinote
Dustin Brown
Zach Parise

Defensemen (8):

Tanabe
Mara
Ryan Whitney
Brooks Orpik
Aaron Miller
Leetch
Leopold
Derian Hatcher

Goaltenders (3):

Esche
DiPietro
Ryan Miller

policegopher

May 10, 2004
Minnesota
Rabid Ranger said:
I'd like to see a team that is younger (maybe quite a bit) than the World Cup squad. Here's some names off the top of my head:

Forwards (12):

Modano
Legwand
Gomez
Drury
York
Malone
Weight
Tkachuk
Guerin
Hinote
Dustin Brown
Zach Parise

Defensemen (8):

Tanabe
Mara
Ryan Whitney
Brooks Orpik
Aaron Miller
Leetch
Leopold
Derian Hatcher

Goaltenders (3):

Esche
DiPietro
Ryan Miller

On D I would take out Orpik and whitney, and add Paul Martin and Rafalski. P-Mart really showed composure at the world cup. Plus he has much experience on the big ice sheet. If I remember right, Martin and Rafalski also played together at the World cup.

I like your forward picks, you threw in some young talent along with some veterans.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
policegopher said:
On D I would take out Orpik and whitney, and add Paul Martin and Rafalski. P-Mart really showed composure at the world cup. Plus he has much experience on the big ice sheet. If I remember right, Martin and Rafalski also played together at the World cup.

I like your forward picks, you threw in some young talent along with some veterans.
:thumbu: Good call but I might keep Orpik and toss Tanabe. Just to keep some muscle on the team. Another thing to think about is who's keeping in shape and who isn't.

policegopher

May 10, 2004
Minnesota
I ran into Paul Martin last night at a local watering hole. He said that he is keeping in shape and indicated that his next venture will hopefully be the World Championship.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
policegopher said:

Martin and Rafalski would be great. I was just trying to throw some "new" names out there.

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
Rabid Ranger said:

York
Weight
Hinote

Weight has made 3+4 in 3 games in DEL, impressive? York also plays in DEL and Hinote in Swedish Elitserien. So if they are interested..

Also:
Erik Cole plays in DEL 2004-05 Berlin Polar Bears 35 6 17 23 70
Adam Hall plays in finnish 2tier league - KalPa 33 22 + 14 = 36

Any more names?

espo*

Interesting decision.There are two ways to go and it looks like they've decided on staying young and concentrating on guys that are in game shape because they are playing currently.It could be a wise move but only time will tell.i think in the early games it gives a team an advantage and lessens out once the medal rounds begin.The Euro teams are going to bust out of the gate real strong this year....they(their top players) pretty much are all playing in europe this year and they will be ready to go from the first puck being dropped.Hockey's a team game and this strategy will help them get in synche quicker...that's where the U.S management decision looks wise.

But...talent is till important.........they won't leave off guys like modano....you can't,they are too talented and represent to cream of American talent,you've gotta take them,especially when a guy like modano has already indicated a willingness to play in that tourney .Management has to tell them early on what they need to do to get ready for this tournament conditioning wise and that they have to get skating somewhere on some team to get their legs as set as possible. Also,i question why gill is there..big but not the greatest skater.He'll lend some veteran toughness but i think there may be someone out there playing currently who would be a better fit.Overall,it's a safer strategy for them i think and it brings in new blood,it's the way i would go too if i were them. This time and for this tournament they are doing the right thing for them i think.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It looks like Brian Leetch and Ken Klee are out: http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/news_story.asp?ID=118014&hubName=canadian_hockey

It's almost a certainty the U.S. roster for the World Championships this year will be a younger one. On defense, I can see maybe a guy like Derian Hatcher on the squad, as he's been playing. Up from, maybe a guy like Doug Weight will lend a veteran presence, but that's it, and it's about time.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Morrison_Rulz said:
Do you guys think Ryan Kesler has any chance in making the squad? Just wondering.

Depending on how the AHL playoffs shake-out, I think a guy like Kesler, along with Dustin Brown, Zach Parise, etc have a great shot at being named to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad