USA WC Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
nomorekids said:
I'm not sure if Legwand can play wing, but then again I don't know if he ever did in junior. Just that he never has in Nashville.

Yeah, I didn't quite know where to put him since the team will have five centers and I'd like to see him on one of the top two lines in an offensive role. Modano has played wing, so maybe Legwand can center a line with Modano on his right. Can you imagine the speed? :bow:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Rabid Ranger said:
Yeah, I didn't quite know where to put him since the team will have five centers and I'd like to see him on one of the top two lines in an offensive role. Modano has played wing, so maybe Legwand can center a line with Modano on his right. Can you imagine the speed? :bow:

overall, this team looks to have some sick speed. i like it.

I'd like to see DiPietro start over Conklin though, even with Conklin's good performance last year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
wilka91 said:
Is Esche going to play?

All indications point to Conklin and DiPietro being between the pipes. Esche might be the third guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if a European based goaltender gets the nod.

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
How about Mike Dunham? He has played 8 games so far in Sweden for Skellefteå AIK in a tournament between the top-4 tier-II teams and the bottom-2 SEL teams, the 2 teams that finish first in this tournament "Kvalserien" will play in the SEL next season.
Anyway he is the top goalie in Kvalserien: 8 GP, 220 shots, 208 saves, 94,54 SV%, 1,50 GAA and 4 SO.

Just an idea, maybe he should get a shot?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm feeling a bit encouraged about this team. With the downright nasty speed they'll have from top to bottom, they'll be fun to watch.

The blueline is definitely the wildcard here; young, a bit undersized, and highly talented. Their fortunes will dictate the team's success this year. I think they'll be pleasantly surprising.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Does anybody else have any reports on how the players that have been playing in Europe this year have looked? I have stats but I'm looking for some more first hand accounts.

devilman

Feb 27, 2002
Burn Berne
David Tanabe (Kloten Flyers) could show his skills very well in the Swiss Elite League, but physically he was not too strong. ok, better than most swiss players, but sill.
I think the bigger ice-surface is a advantage for him, so I expect him having a great tourney.
David Legwand is playing for EHC Basel in the 2nd Swiss League (sort of AHL). He's producing big time, so I think he's also taking advantage to the bigger ice and also here he can show his skills. Donno know about his physical play, never seen him on TV.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Bonde 007 said:
How about Mike Dunham? He has played 8 games so far in Sweden for Skellefteå AIK in a tournament between the top-4 tier-II teams and the bottom-2 SEL teams, the 2 teams that finish first in this tournament "Kvalserien" will play in the SEL next season.
Anyway he is the top goalie in Kvalserien: 8 GP, 220 shots, 208 saves, 94,54 SV%, 1,50 GAA and 4 SO.

Just an idea, maybe he should get a shot?

Dunham just might get the 3rd slot, as he's been a USA Hockey loyalist and is playing well right now.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Rob Paxon said:
I'm feeling a bit encouraged about this team. With the downright nasty speed they'll have from top to bottom, they'll be fun to watch.

The blueline is definitely the wildcard here; young, a bit undersized, and highly talented. Their fortunes will dictate the team's success this year. I think they'll be pleasantly surprising.

I agree that this will be a fun team to watch. No real "stars" besides Modano, Weight, and maybe Gomez, but every player has above average skills and with the exception of Gill and Miller are outstanding skaters. I would disagree though that the defense is undersized. Except for Liles and maybe Roach, all of the D-men are big, it's just that with the exception of Miller, and at times Gill they all play a "finesse" game. We'll see how that holds up. I think this team has alot of balance, so should do pretty well. Nice to see Waddell and Co reward a guy like Richard Park who has answered the call on many occasions.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Esche never even gets a call. You have to wonder about the US selection process at these international tournaments.

The goalies will be Conklin, DiPietro and Grahme.
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/11319703.htm

The backup job and third spot are expected to go to the New York Islanders' Rick DiPietro, who, like Esche, participated in the World Cup of Hockey, and Tampa Bay's John Grahame, respectively.

Waddell could not be reached for comment.

Flyers right winger Mike Knuble, 32, has reportedly been selected.

"I'm kind of upset they didn't pick me," Esche said. "They haven't even called me. I mean, I think I deserve a call."

"They said they were only taking players who had been playing this year, but I have been working out hard every day at Colgate," Esche said. "I have kept myself in good shape.

"It bothers me because I have always answered the bell for these guys. When my wife, Kelly, was pregnant with our first child, I went to Germany for them. It upset me that I don't even get a call."

Esche and his wife recently had a second child, a boy, Waylon.

Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock was a tad upset himself yesterday, saying the selection process was "curious."

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
John Flyers Fan said:
Esche never even gets a call. You have to wonder about the US selection process at these international tournaments.

The goalies will be Conklin, DiPietro and Grahme.
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/11319703.htm

The backup job and third spot are expected to go to the New York Islanders' Rick DiPietro, who, like Esche, participated in the World Cup of Hockey, and Tampa Bay's John Grahame, respectively.

Waddell could not be reached for comment.

Flyers right winger Mike Knuble, 32, has reportedly been selected.

"I'm kind of upset they didn't pick me," Esche said. "They haven't even called me. I mean, I think I deserve a call."

"They said they were only taking players who had been playing this year, but I have been working out hard every day at Colgate," Esche said. "I have kept myself in good shape.

"It bothers me because I have always answered the bell for these guys. When my wife, Kelly, was pregnant with our first child, I went to Germany for them. It upset me that I don't even get a call."

Esche and his wife recently had a second child, a boy, Waylon.

Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock was a tad upset himself yesterday, saying the selection process was "curious."

I would have preferred to see Esche on the roster as well, but it's clear to me that the U.S. brass is rewarding Ty Conklin for his performance last year, and since there's no way Esche was going to be the back-up, they went with two younger guys in Grahame and DiPietro. As for your original comment about the U.S. selection process at international tournaments, in general most of the top NHL players don't make themselves available, so the U.S. is fortunate to get what they get. Now that they do have a choice, they're going with guys that have played this year, and that have played well. It's not like Esche has been repeatedly spurned, he was the starter on the World Cup team afterall.........

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
It's not like Esche has been repeatedly spurned, he was the starter on the World Cup team afterall.........

Yes, and they reward Esche, who was outstanding at the World Cup by not even inviting him for the next intl. tourney :shakehead

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
John Flyers Fan said:
Yes, and they reward Esche, who was outstanding at the World Cup by not even inviting him for the next intl. tourney :shakehead

No, they reward Ty Conklin who lead the U.S. to it's first medal at the World Championships since 1996.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
No, they reward Ty Conklin who lead the U.S. to it's first medal at the World Championships since 1996.

There are 3 spots, and I would understand that if they named Esche/Conklin and DiPietro and Conklin was the starter because he's been playing this year and is shaprer etc.

But naming Grahme, who hasn't played, but has ties to Tortorella, and Dipietro, who also hasn't played and has ties to Laviolette ... just seems like the same old BS that the US gets involved in ala the WJC.

Just pick the best damn players and try and win the tournament.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Like John_Flyers_fan, I was under the impression that DiPietro and Grahame had not played this season. I think Esche deserved to be spoken to about his conditioning before a decision was made. Esche has earned a spot on the team given his performance last season and especially during the World Cup. Also, I do not recall his ever turning down Team USA and he has played for them and played well in the recent past. If this is final that he was not spoken to or invited, I am very disappointed.

Conklin did really well at the World Championship last year and was rewarded with a spot on the World Cup roster, where he did not fare so well in the exhibition games. I agree Conklin deserved a spot on the team because of the WC bronze showing as well as the fact that he has played this year, but I do not understand the other 2 picks. If the reason Esche was not invited was because he has not played this year, DiPietro and Dunham should not be on the team either (someone please correct me if they have played a reasonable number of games this season). I am shocked that Esche was not spoken to or invited - very disappointing, especialy given the team connections between the coaches and the other two goalies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I'm a little bit surprised by Esche's omission, but the team looks good regardless. I had thought\hoped that Adam Hall would be there, as he's played all season and has been strong for the US in the WCH in the past, but I like the roster anyway.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
nomorekids said:
I'm a little bit surprised by Esche's omission, but the team looks good regardless. I had thought\hoped that Adam Hall would be there, as he's played all season and has been strong for the US in the WCH in the past, but I like the roster anyway.

IMO, Esche was never under consideration. The U.S. brass had Conklin pegged for the number one slot from the beginning, and there was no way a guy like Esche would be the back-up. Dipietro (the U.S. goaltender of the future) gets some more experience, and a guy like Tim Thomas rides the pine as the 3rd keeper.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
IMO, Esche was never under consideration. The U.S. brass had Conklin pegged for the number one slot from the beginning, and there was no way a guy like Esche would be the back-up. Dipietro (the U.S. goaltender of the future) gets some more experience, and a guy like Tim Thomas rides the pine as the 3rd keeper.

..and that thinking is just plain assinine.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
John Flyers Fan said:
..and that thinking is just plain assinine.

Don't get me wrong, I think Esche is the best American goaltender right now, but I don't think going with Conklin and DiPietro is "assinine." Both are more than capable, and Conklin was fantastic in last year's tournament.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I am glad to see it was Thomas (who has played and played well this year) and not Dunham or Grahame for the third spot. Still, has DiPietro played this season? If not, I expected and still think Esche should have been invited. I hope there is something more that occurred behind the scenes. If the USA Hockey brass assumed he would not be happy in a backup role and therefore did not speak to him, that is ridiculous - that does not sound like Esche and would be silly to assume. If the sole reason for not inviting him was that he did not play, where did DiPietro play? If it was based on age alone between the two, that is ridiculous, Esche is 27 or 28.

It will be interesting to see who fills the last 3 roster spots and whether or not Tanabe and some of the other names mentioned in earlier articles actually make the team. Does anyone know if Tanabe has been injured recently?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
With Adam Hall's addition, that leaves two roster spots that need to be filled. At least one of those will be a defenseman (Tanabe?) with possibly a 13th forward (Zach Parise?) as well.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Rabid Ranger said:
With Adam Hall's addition, that leaves two roster spots that need to be filled. At least one of those will be a defenseman (Tanabe?) with possibly a 13th forward (Zach Parise?) as well.

Hall was added? They must have read my post :yo:

He had a terrific year in Finland. Will bring a nice presence in front of the net to the USA PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad