USA WC Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Rabid Ranger said:
I'm not doubting his ability, just that with this being a lock-out year, his inclusion on the team was far from a sure thing. It speaks highly of his ability.
His abilities are good enough to make the team with all the best available. He is a top-six US defenseman by far.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
mattihp said:
His abilities are good enough to make the team with all the best available. He is a top-six US defenseman by far.

The U.S. selection commitee clearly agrees with you. I look forward to seeing him play again.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Rabid Ranger said:
The U.S. selection commitee clearly agrees with you. I look forward to seeing him play again.
... or they just don't want to gamble with guys who haven't played at all, or have played with lower tier teams (although Hall is on the team, but he's a forward so that's another story)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
mattihp said:
... or they just don't want to gamble with guys who haven't played at all, or have played with lower tier teams (although Hall is on the team, but he's a forward so that's another story)

Naming Roach makes sense as his style of play fits the international game, he's European based, and he's been active this year.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
mattihp said:

and KalPa steamrolled the competition with Hall and Timonen...and since they won the championship they have a good chance of moving up to the SM-Liiga next year, I read. Sami Kapanen is on the team as well.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
nomorekids said:
and KalPa steamrolled the competition with Hall and Timonen...and since they won the championship they have a good chance of moving up to the SM-Liiga next year, I read. Sami Kapanen is on the team as well.
They are up, check the news on the finnish board ^^

Kimmo Timonen also was on the team for the final part of the season.

That team has developed more talent than most SM-liiga teams...

Sami & Kimmo Kapanen (Kimmo is a star goalie in the SEL)
Kimmo & Jussi Timonen (Jussi will be a star in time ;) )
Olli Jokinen
etc. etc.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
sk84fun_dc said:
Just to pipe back in about DiPietro and Esche. Did anyone answer my question - has DiPietro played since the Fall tournaments? If Esche is out of shape that would be a reason to not name him to the team, but all of his comments imply that he was not even spoken to or asked about his fitness. All I am saying is that he deserved that courtesy before a decision was made. I think inviting both of them to a training camp may have been difficult, but perhaps some private work-outs could have been arranged.

It does not appear to me Conklin played much this year, but at least he did play. And I agree he did play in last season's World Championships, though he did not fare so well in the little play he got during the World Cup warm-ups. Thomas has played and played well this year and deserves an invite as a back-up. I am not a fan of DiPietro although he seems to be maturing a little bit. I support his being named to the team if Esche is out of shape, but I still think they should have spoken with Esche before making the decision. As others have mentioned here, he is only 27 or 28. I do not agree with those who think DiPietro is the de-facto USA goalie of the future. He will have some comptetition in the coming years.

Both Hunter and DiPietro wanted to play for Bridgeport.Newsday says the isles said no,that this was a lockout.My guess is the isles were trying to put pressure on them during this cba fight.

DiPietro played in a tournament in Germany after the WC and in a charity game.He's reportedly been on LI,staying in shape.

I agree DiPietro will have competition as US goalie of the future.

btw,Waddell probably pushed for DiPietro on the team more then Lavy.a few yrs ago,when the Isles had Osgood and before the Thrashers got Lehtonen(sp),an Atlanta paper says Waddle called trying to aquire DiPietro.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
John Flyers Fan said:
I know it isn't the same GM, but USA Hockey does select the GM's for each team.

Okay, so what beef do you have with the WJC team selection process? Are you talking about the team that was on the ice this year or what?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Okay, so what beef do you have with the WJC team selection process? Are you talking about the team that was on the ice this year or what?

Far too often they neglect to take very good Americans playing in the CHL.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
John Flyers Fan said:
Far too often they neglect to take very good Americans playing in the CHL.

True, and I see the connection that you're making with the Esche issue. Oh well, there's nothing that can be done at this point so I'm just going to move on and throw my support behind the U.S. team.

Sparky

Feb 19, 2004
Virginia
Rabid Ranger, love the avatar, btw. I've got that shootout on video on the hard drive, pop it open once a month or so.

Andy Roach!!!!!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sparky said:
Rabid Ranger, love the avatar, btw. I've got that shootout on video on the hard drive, pop it open once a month or so.

Andy Roach!!!!!

Me too! Pretty cool. By the way, here's an article that says that the remaining forward slot is being reserved for Scott Gomez, but if his team (the Aces) makes the 2nd round of the ECHL playoffs, Yan Stasny will join the roster. He was 4th in the DEL in scoring this year: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/2005-04-14-worlds-training_x.htm

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Brett Hauer was added to today. That leaves one roster spot to be filled, which I assume is being reserved for Scott Gomez: http://www.usahockey.com/usa_hockey/news/main/home/news_hauer_041405/

Just curious, what makes Brett Hauer a more attractive option than say Mark Eaton? I know Hauer has had extensive experience, but he hasn't played a full season in the NHL for a good reason. He was terrible in his game or two in Nashville a few years back. Is this politicking or is there more to it that I am missing? Is Eaton's contract with Grand Rapids something that cannot be overcome? Or do they want some old guy on the team who's been through the battles?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
SmokeyClause said:
Just curious, what makes Brett Hauer a more attractive option than say Mark Eaton? I know Hauer has had extensive experience, but he hasn't played a full season in the NHL for a good reason. He was terrible in his game or two in Nashville a few years back. Is this politicking or is there more to it that I am missing? Or do they want some old guy on the team who's been through the battles?

I think Eaton's status with the Griffins could be it...OR...they're still sour over Eaton's decline of their request last year...and yeah...I was a little curious over the inclusion of some of these guys...but..Yan Stastny? Brett Hauer?

Ouch.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
nomorekids said:
I think Eaton's status with the Griffins could be it...OR...they're still sour over Eaton's decline of their request last year.

I wouldn't be suprised if it was either. Team USA (on many levels) has shown it can be very petty at times. Holding a grudge wouldn't be beyond them.

Hopefully it is his contract status with Grand Rapids so I can dislike that move by Eaton even more. Eaton would have been a valuable addition to a team loaded with young talent, but lacking someone stable like him who isn't a liability on big ice.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
nomorekids said:
I think Eaton's status with the Griffins could be it...OR...they're still sour over Eaton's decline of their request last year...and yeah...I was a little curious over the inclusion of some of these guys...but..Yan Stastny? Brett Hauer?

Ouch.

Don Waddell made the comment that over 70 American players were being considered for this year's World Championships. It's apparent that this is the team that management feels most comfortable with. Does that make the selections 100% right? We won't know until the tournament starts. I do know that Hauer was a part of the bronze medal winning team last year and played well, and he and Stastny have played in other international tournaments for the U.S in recent years. They aren't going to be key members of the team, and remember, Stastny is only a consideration if Gomez is unable to join the team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
SmokeyClause said:
I wouldn't be suprised if it was either. Team USA (on many levels) has shown it can be very petty at times. Holding a grudge wouldn't be beyond them.

Hopefully it is his contract status with Grand Rapids so I can dislike that move by Eaton even more. Eaton would have been a valuable addition to a team loaded with young talent, but lacking someone stable like him who isn't a liability on big ice.

Say what you want about Hauer, but he fits the description you describe. He might not have made his mark at the NHL level, but he knows his way around the international game, and like Andy Roach can make a positive contribution.

espo*

This is a good American team......i like the "d" hungry,fast and swift at moving the puck.Add Weight and Modano in there and they get pretty serious looking.Gomez could'nt help but being a boon.....that guy sees the ice...lot's of free ice and a pasion from where he came from....frozen north Mexican boy...........who woulda thunk?

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
nomorekids said:
I think Eaton's status with the Griffins could be it...OR...they're still sour over Eaton's decline of their request last year....

I don't think USA Hockey is angry with Mark Eaton. Remember, he was selected to play on the 2004 Deutschland Cup team this past fall. I'm wondering why there aren't more players from that team on this roster. Where are Paul Mara, Tim Connolly, Jason Blake, and Tom Preissing? They all played in Europe this year so they should've received some consideration.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
CDeeps said:
I don't think USA Hockey is angry with Mark Eaton. Remember, he was selected to play on the 2004 Deutschland Cup team this past fall. I'm wondering why there aren't more players from that team on this roster. Where are Paul Mara, Tim Connolly, Jason Blake, and Tom Preissing? They all played in Europe this year so they should've received some consideration.

I liked the energy and hustle Blake brought to the WC team.Waddel did say he wanted the team to get younger, which could be why Blake hasn't been asked to play in this tournament.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
CDeeps said:

I was wondering about Mara as well, but perhaps he declined? The team has enough offensive types/pests, so I'm not surprised Connolly and Blake didn't get the nod (although I thought Blake was a sure thing from earlier news reports). As for Preissing, he plays a style that is represented by several of the D-men on the team all ready. No surprise he isn't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad